3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

95 4wd 3.0 5spd ifs to 3.4 starting this weekend

Old 02-29-2008, 04:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
95 4wd 3.0 5spd ifs to 3.4 starting this weekend

ok. so i'm going this sunday to start prepping my 3.4 for removal from the

previous owners 00 taco. i have the ORS list of what items i need, but i'm

wondering if there is anything else that i should grab while i'm at it. the taco

is also a 5spd 4wd with 160 on the odometer. everything is stock, and i'm

getting everything(EVERYTHING) from it for a grand!!!!!!! the engine is still

completely in the taco. got to hear it start up and run yesterday. i'm going to

take more pictures than i could ever possibly need before i start tearing it

down. any advice? any things i should keep an eye out for? i've spent alot of

time reading the posts in this forum( at least elvota's and rayl82/jason4x4's)

and i would really appreciate all the advice any of you can give. sunday i plan

on trying to get everything ready so that all i have to do the following

weekend is unbolt it and yank it out. well, wish me luck- john
Old 02-29-2008, 04:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
http://www.andrewzook.com/content/view/22/48/
Old 02-29-2008, 04:49 PM

i only looked at the site for a couple of minutes because we're on our way

out, but i can already tell that is going to be soooo much help! thanks!-john
Old 02-29-2008, 08:55 PM

Yeah, Andy's site was a massive help when I did mine. If you have questions, send them my way and I'll see what I can do with assisting.
Old 03-01-2008, 01:16 PM

hey, much appreciated. i can't imagine pulling this off without having at least a few questions. i can think of a few already, but they can wait for now. i'm making a list in a notebook so i don't forget anything. i'll try searching through forums for some answers so that i'm not pestering anyone, but sometimes its easier and faster to just ask. i'll keep you in mind. take care-john
Old 03-01-2008, 03:41 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Very exciting... you are gonna really enjoy the 3.4.
Old 03-01-2008, 06:40 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by screamer76
ok. so i'm going this sunday to start prepping my 3.4 for removal from the

previous owners 00 taco. i have the ORS list of what items i need, but i'm

wondering if there is anything else that i should grab while i'm at it. the taco

is also a 5spd 4wd with 160 on the odometer. everything is stock, and i'm

getting everything(EVERYTHING) from it for a grand!!!!!!! the engine is still

completely in the taco. got to hear it start up and run yesterday. i'm going to

take more pictures than i could ever possibly need before i start tearing it

down. any advice? any things i should keep an eye out for? i've spent alot of

time reading the posts in this forum( at least elvota's and rayl82/jason4x4's)

and i would really appreciate all the advice any of you can give. sunday i plan

on trying to get everything ready so that all i have to do the following

weekend is unbolt it and yank it out. well, wish me luck- john
Details please let me know when you start posting this swap I want to see what I am getting into when I do my super charged 3.4
Are you staying with i.f.s. and are you lifted?
oilpan swap needed? those kind of things
Old 03-03-2008, 12:16 PM

so far, everything is stock. i'm trying to stay pretty conservative for now, and i want to see the stock to stock difference first anyway. assuming everything goes well with the swap, i'll consider other upgrades(i.e. lift, intake) before too long. i haven't decided whether to chop the hood or put on a body lift, though if it gets to where it's ready to drive and i still haven't made up my mind, i'll just cut the hood. i'll be reusing my 3.0 oil pan, and as the engine is a 2000 i'll have to drill a new hole for the dipstick. i've got a guy who works in an auto shop across the street from the shop where i'm doing the swap who's going to do the welding for the exhaust(see jason4x4's post on the crossover modification) after i cut it. the last time i tried to upload any photos to yotatech, it didn't work. so once i have the time to figure out why that is, i'll start posting pictures. and there will be a lot of pictures. yesterday, i went and started prepping the 3.4 for removal. got the fluids drained, the radiator out, the hood off, power steering pump and ac removed from the block, exhaust is ready to come out, etc.. basically, i just have to disconnect the ecu, push the harness through the firewall, unplug the battery harness, and unbolt the motor mounts. unfortunately, i won't be able work on it again for another week and a half i don't know what i'm going to do with myself in the meantime. i know my friends family and coworkers are sick of me talking about nothing other than this.
Old 03-13-2008, 06:54 PM

okay, i have a few questions before i make my final visit to the donor truck;
1. does anyone know if the ecu on a 00 tacoma is accessible once the glove compartment is removed, or does the whole dash have to come apart?

2. where is the circuit opening relay located and do i actually need it?

3. are there any other relays under the dash or in the engine compartment that are necessary for the swap?

4. has anyone used the cruise control from the 3.4? if so, how much of their cruise system do i need to grab if i want to use it? i already have the actuator, and assumed i would need the cruise computer. anything else? i can't use my 3.0 actuator because it is toast.

5. anything else?

thanks for your replies- john

Last edited by screamer76; 03-13-2008 at 06:56 PM.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:52 PM

okay, i have a few questions before i make my final visit to the donor truck;
1. does anyone know if the ecu on a 00 tacoma is accessible once the glove compartment is removed, or does the whole dash have to come apart?

2. where is the circuit opening relay located and do i actually need it?

3. are there any other relays under the dash or in the engine compartment that are necessary for the swap?

4. has anyone used the cruise control from the 3.4? if so, how much of their cruise system do i need to grab if i want to use it? i already have the actuator, and assumed i would need the cruise computer. anything else? i can't use my 3.0 actuator because it is toast.

5. anything else?

thanks for your replies- john
1) Can't help you on the ECU location. Mine was pulled by the yard. In the 97, though, it was up behind the glovebox.

2 + 3) I didn't have to pull a single relay. You're splicing the new harness to match the underdash plugs. Everything should be handled in that wiring, if memory serves.

4) You should probably replace your old actuator. Since the cruise computer is already wired in, all you'd need to do is modify the cable slightly to match the guide on the throttle linkage. I can almost guarantee that replacing the actuator would be a lot smaller headache. I'm sure you can locate one at a yard or on eBay. Someone was selling the complete cruise control system from a 4Runner on there the other day.

5) Do NOT cut or remove your old alternator harness from the fender. You will need to reuse the wiring from that. The harness with your 3.4 probably doesn't do a damn thing. You'll probably need to swap the plug from your 3.4 harness to the 3.0 charging circuit harness.

Also, have you researched the tach mod?

It's an easy mod, but one you'll have to do in order to get your tach to read properly.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:14 PM
Contributing Member

the last time i tried to upload any photos to yotatech, it didn't work. so once i have the time to figure out why that is, i'll start posting pictures. and there will be a lot of pictures.
Try www.photobucket.com or mess with this section of YT a bit:

https://www.yotatech.com/gallery/

I'd pull all the relays I could find. Why not have spares? The COR's I located through various years EWD's were right at the DS kickpanel above the main fuse block. I don't think you'll need it, even though I used one for mine. I was troubleshooting and just ended up going that way in the end.

I am 80% sure I have the 3.0 cruise control parts up here in Scottsdale. If you want them, you can have them next time you are in town. Just give me some notice to figure out where it all is.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:27 PM

alright... extra special thanks for the info on the alt. harness! i'm saving as much of everything from the 3.0 as i can to resell so i probably wouldn't have cut it, but i definitely would have tried using the 3.4 alt. harness if not for your intervention.

kind of figured that it would be a hell of a lot easier to use the 3.0 cruise actuator, and that's more than likely what i will do now that you've seconded that opinion. maybe i can eventually sell the 3.4 setup to cover a new actuator.

i have not FULLY researched the tach mod YET, though i am aware that it must be done thanks to elvota and others here on the forums. i feel very fortunate to have all of your experiences for reference. i doubt i would even be attempting this if it weren't for yotatech

well, thanks again, rob. i'm not going until sunday to finish up with the removal, so if anything else occurs to you let me know. take care- john
Old 03-13-2008, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by Elvota
Try www.photobucket.com or mess with this section of YT a bit:

https://www.yotatech.com/gallery/

I'd pull all the relays I could find. Why not have spares? The COR's I located through various years EWD's were right at the DS kickpanel above the main fuse block. I don't think you'll need it, even though I used one for mine. I was troubleshooting and just ended up going that way in the end.

I am 80% sure I have the 3.0 cruise control parts up here in Scottsdale. If you want them, you can have them next time you are in town. Just give me some notice to figure out where it all is.
thanks for the suggestions for the pics. maybe i'll try to screw with that this weekend.

i haven't actually gotten my hands on the ewd's yet. i plan on downloading them like you did, but wanted to wait until i actually have everything in my possession before i go crazy buying stuff for it. i'll keep an eye out for the COR when i try to excavate the ecu. too bad that isn't behind the kick panel like the 3.0's. hopefully i don't have to pull his whole dash... it doesn't seem like the donor's planning on taking much else off before he scraps it, so i am going to grab every relay i see even if i'm not going to use them. if nothing else, they can go on ebay along with a whole lot of 3.0 accessories

also, thanks for the offer for the cruise components. i just might take you up on that assuming that there are any more road trips in my baby's future...
Old 03-14-2008, 07:46 AM
Contributing Member

also, thanks for the offer for the cruise components. i just might take you up on that assuming that there are any more road trips in my baby's future...
Any more road trips in the future.... after that 3.4 is in, you'll be looking for any excuse to hit those highways.
Old 03-14-2008, 09:09 PM

I am more than happy to help. Let me know if you want my home email address.
Old 03-14-2008, 09:14 PM

Tach mod

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f160...45/index2.html

Scroll down about 3/4s of the way. I had a better version of it, but I haven't been able to find it yet.
Old 03-15-2008, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by RobD
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f160...45/index2.html

Scroll down about 3/4s of the way. I had a better version of it, but I haven't been able to find it yet.
thanks for that link. i had actually come across it before, but i couldn't for the life of me remember where

if you can pm me your email, i'll keep it in case of emergencies. the only areas i'm really nervous about are the wiring and the clutch. i've never done a clutch replacement, but i should have someone with me who has. the wiring i'm pretty much on my own with, and that carries with it a very small sense of anxiety for me. i'm 99% sure i can handle it, but there's always that 1% left...
Old 03-23-2008, 12:29 PM

well, everything is at last in my possession. i went with a friend last weekend and pulled the 3.4 with a rented engine hoist. it rained pretty good here on sunday, but we managed to get her out just in time. after a cross-town trip in a light drizzle, we got to our shop and low and behold the forklift battery was dead i was a little worried about the masking tape i had used to tag connections, so i grabbed a tarp and covered the engine while we waited for the forklift to charge. pretty much as soon as i had it covered, it started pouring rain. good timing! so, after about twenty minutes of charging we had enough juice to get the engine out of the back of mike's truck. except for the weather and that bit of trouble with the forklift, everything went remarkably smooth. nothing broken, no real hangups. it took about seven hours over three trips to remove it from the donor truck. so far, the only thing i think i forgot is the obd2 connection, but i shouldn't have any problem getting it from the guy.

monday i got to work and found out that we're getting a load of aluminum on this coming week, so for the next week or so i won't be able to work on the engine itself. and i had 3.4 parts all over the shop! i've got to make room at home for all of the accessories and wrap the engine in plastic so that it won't get covered in aluminum dust and shavings

actually, i'm going to use that time to order parts(new radiator to replace my leaky one, timing kit w/ water pump, dipstick relocation stuff, clutch bearings and alignment tool, thermostat and tune-up stuff) and get the 3.4 flywheel ground. i'm also going to take the alternator and starter to get tested since they're out now and easier to replace.

so far, everything i've seen is in good shape. i had originally intended to replace the rear main seal, but after inspecting it i'm having second thoughts. i wish i had the time to do a complete rebuild, but i don't think my 3.0 clutch is going to last much longer, and i'm thinking about getting another 3.4 to rebuild while i drive this one.

i've got some pictures in my members gallery which i will eventually add to this post.
Old 03-23-2008, 07:25 PM

anybody used these guys before?http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...?siteid=213747

i'm thinking about getting the oil pan and dipstick items from them.
Old 03-23-2008, 08:41 PM
Contributing Member

I'm thinking about getting the oil pan and dipstick items from them.
You can reuse the oil pan from your 3.0. Might save you some pennies.

I ended up getting the dipstick and guide through a Toyota dealer.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 95 4wd 3.0 5spd ifs to 3.4 starting this weekend