3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

94 4Runner 3.0 to 96 Tacoma 3.4 wiring help!!

Old 02-06-2016, 06:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
94 4Runner 3.0 to 96 Tacoma 3.4 wiring help!!

I got my swap all done besides the wiring at the right kick panel, I am at a complete loss and can't find anything that will help me wire it up I have the 3.4 harness out of the 96 Tacoma with the matching computer I am trying to wire it to my 94 4Runner, does anyone have any pictures or step by step or wiring diagrams, don't know where to even really start any and everything helps!
Old 02-07-2016, 01:14 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

What you need to do is get the EWD for your 94 also good to have the one for the donor engine as well

Source the Missing fourth plug for the ECM you have that is more or less the cab harness connection.

Also the plug for your OBII connection .

It is not hard with the correct information just takes some time.

Myself I like having all the electrical information before a wrench is touched.

Unless your a real little person it is so much easier at least for me to remove the right door and seat.

Good luck.
Old 02-07-2016, 06:55 AM

I've been trying to find a good wiring diagram I work at a shop so I have access to ALL DATA and Prodemand. But for some reason Toyota isn't giving up much info. For the most part am I just wiring the two plugs that are white and gray on 3.4 onto my white and gray plugs from my 3.0?
Old 02-07-2016, 11:50 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

When you pulled or bought the ECM and Engine Harness.

It has 4 plugs total.

It comes with 3 plugs that plug into the ECM attached to the engine harness.

The fourth plug is from the cab harness of the donor vehicle unless you received this fourth plug you need to find the correct one for the ECM you are using.

This is wired into your 94 4Runner.

You also need the OBII vehicle side plug.

Colors of plugs really mean little as they change quite often year to year

I know there is a post here some where of the Different Toyota plugs and how to take them apart and repin them
Old 02-08-2016, 10:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
https://techinfo.toyota.com/
Pay the $15 for 48 hour access, then download all the Electronic Wiring Diagrams (EWDs) for both your 94 and the 96 donor. If you can, try to replicate the folder structure that TIS uses on your local computer, it'll make navigating and finding the specific file a lot easier.

From there, you'll need to any and all wiring that goes between the engine harness and the "dash harness" (that's the harness in the cab of the truck that mainly runs across the dash board), these will have connectors numbers such as II1 and II3 (for my 96 4Runner donor) and IH1 and IH2 (for my 91 4Runner), the connector numbers will be different in your case; Toyota decided to be different, seemingly just for the sake of being different.

Make a spread sheet of all the wires in those 4 connectors and where each of the wires comes from and where they go to (4 connectors being for both the 94 and 96). From there its a matter of matching up similar wire functions. That'll get you 90% of the way, there will probably be 5 wires that won't match up exactly that will take some extra care.

I recommend that you cut the 2 engine to body connectors off your old 3.0 engine harness with 6-10" of wire, then do the same to the dash harness connectors on the 96 Tacoma. Then use those 4 connector ends to create your "conversion harness".

Of course if you don't want to do it yourself, there are options out there:
http://www.toyonlyswaps.com/conversion-wiring-.html
http://www.offroadsolutions.com/prod...2r-e-vehicles/
Old 02-08-2016, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by SacRunner
https://techinfo.toyota.com/
Pay the $15 for 48 hour access, then download all the Electronic Wiring Diagrams (EWDs) for both your 94 and the 96 donor. If you can, try to replicate the folder structure that TIS uses on your local computer, it'll make navigating and finding the specific file a lot easier.

From there, you'll need to any and all wiring that goes between the engine harness and the "dash harness" (that's the harness in the cab of the truck that mainly runs across the dash board), these will have connectors numbers such as II1 and II3 (for my 96 4Runner donor) and IH1 and IH2 (for my 91 4Runner), the connector numbers will be different in your case; Toyota decided to be different, seemingly just for the sake of being different.

Make a spread sheet of all the wires in those 4 connectors and where each of the wires comes from and where they go to (4 connectors being for both the 94 and 96). From there its a matter of matching up similar wire functions. That'll get you 90% of the way, there will probably be 5 wires that won't match up exactly that will take some extra care.

I recommend that you cut the 2 engine to body connectors off your old 3.0 engine harness with 6-10" of wire, then do the same to the dash harness connectors on the 96 Tacoma. Then use those 4 connector ends to create your "conversion harness".

Of course if you don't want to do it yourself, there are options out there:
http://www.toyonlyswaps.com/conversion-wiring-.html
http://www.offroadsolutions.com/prod...2r-e-vehicles/
I also have a set of wires coming from the 3.4 ecu plug like e8 and some people say I also need a data link connecter? I have a complete running 97 four runner with the 3.4 that was wrecked I'm about to just pull all the wiring from head lights to tail lights and out the entire harness into my 94.
Old 02-08-2016, 02:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, you will need to wire up the E8 connector, as it provides the signals, power and ground between the ECU and the recipient truck; it too, will need to be included in the conversion harness.

Yes, you'll want to add the OBD-II diagnostic connector (data link connector), not just if you live in an emissions controlled area (like California, where I live) but to help diagnose any swap related or future issue.

I didn't actually take any pictures of my completed conversion harness, but here's a picture of the various connectors sitting loose on my kitchen table:
Name:  IMAG0447.jpg
Views: 9011
Size:  79.5 KB

On the left are the 3.4 connectors, minus the E8 connector and the small gray plug at the top (II1) wasn't needed, there was 1 wire that i moved over to a blank spot in the II3 (big white connector with the black "handle"). On the right are the 2 connectors from the 3.0 engine harness that were used to tie the 3.4 electronics to my 91's body/dash harness.
Old 03-26-2016, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Bodster3
I also have a set of wires coming from the 3.4 ecu plug like e8 and some people say I also need a data link connecter? I have a complete running 97 four runner with the 3.4 that was wrecked I'm about to just pull all the wiring from head lights to tail lights and out the entire harness into my 94.
with some reading and research you don't need to rip all the wiring out, all you need is 3.4 motor harness and a few plugs from the donor harness. Start at the top of the 3.4 swap page and carefully ready every post, all the information is there for the swap, just take your time.