YotaTech Forums  

Go Back   YotaTech Forums > Off Road Tech, Fab Shop, Solid Axle Swaps, Tool Time, & Engine Swaps > Engine Swap Talk > 3.4 Swaps
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

Welcome to Yotatech!
Welcome to Yotatech,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-28-2013, 03:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Personal Sales Rating: (0)

5vz-fe swap and build

I have a 1990 pickup with the 3.0 slow in it and want to do a swap to the 3.4. My plans for this truck are to make it a rally truck. So I want to build the engine up to about 600 hp with the trd supercharger. So I'm looking for anyone who has modded one of these engines before I have looked around a bit and I have heard people boring everything out and going that way and I have also heard of just going with a standalone ecu and fuel management system. So let me know what you think.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Yotatech!
Old 06-28-2013, 03:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Personal Sales Rating: (2)

Oh boy you have a lot to learn...

I have a Tacoma with the 3.4L and a supercharger. With headers, exhaust, high flow cat, trd supercharger, 2.1" pulley, 7th fuel injector, intake, and alcohol injection you're probably looking at 300hp to 310hp.

To get 600 hp you'd have to build the motor with forged internals, standalone ECU, massive turbo kit. Even then those guys usually push around 500 NOT 600.

It would be 100X easier to swap in a different motor.

Why do you think you need 600hp? Have you ever driven a Toyota Truck with 300hp? It's no slouch!

1997 4Runner Limited, 5VZ, TRD Supercharger, TRD Boost Gauge, B&M 70264, Gunmetal Tacoma 5 Spoke Alloy Wheels, K&N Intake, BFG A/T 285/75/16 more to come!

2002 Tacoma X-Cab TRD, 5VZ, 5 Speed, E-locker, Borla Exhaust, K&N Intake, Red/Clear Tail lights, Clear Corner Markers, E-locker Skid Plate, HID's, ARB Front Bumper, TRD Shift Knob, Pioneer Stereo/GPS, Alarm, Drilled Rotors, Bilstein 5100's, more to come!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 06-28-2013, 04:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Threadstarter [OP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmerboy2112 View Post
Oh boy you have a lot to learn...

I have a Tacoma with the 3.4L and a supercharger. With headers, exhaust, high flow cat, trd supercharger, 2.1" pulley, 7th fuel injector, intake, and alcohol injection you're probably looking at 300hp to 310hp.

To get 600 hp you'd have to build the motor with forged internals, standalone ECU, massive turbo kit. Even then those guys usually push around 500 NOT 600.

It would be 100X easier to swap in a different motor.

Why do you think you need 600hp? Have you ever driven a Toyota Truck with 300hp? It's no slouch!
Well I'm looking to race this and what I have found is that they already have forged rods but they have cast pistons and forged pistons are very hard to come by and may have to be custom made but 600hp can be achieved with the forged rods and the cast pistons
Old 06-28-2013, 04:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Threadstarter [OP]

And yes I do plan on completely rebuilding the engine before it goes in
Old 06-29-2013, 10:56 AM   #5 (permalink)
Personal Sales Rating: (3)

i quit sounds dirty not even once atari pong toyota
Good luck

1995 4Runner 4x4 | 3.4 5vz|a340f auto swap | Holset hx35 rear turbo @ 14lb | Transgo 340-HD2 valvebody | Walbro 255 | Coolingmist Autolearn meth injection @ ~22gph | Inchworm Adapter | rf1a case | 4.10 | Lock Right rear | non ADD swap | Aisin hubs | 1.5" BL | 245/75/16 Firestone Destination A/T
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 07-02-2013, 09:48 AM   #6 (permalink)

You can make 600 horsepower without forged rod and pistons but your tuning will have to be perfect. Forged rods and pistons will buy you some leeway when your tuning isn't perfect, and it won't be. Honestly for that much horsepower you'll need a whole lot more knowledge than what you'll get on an internet forum. The major stumbling block is not likely components in the motor as much as it'll be components supporting the motor, ie a turbo or turbos that'll handle the flow requirements and a standalone that will handle the fuel system. The exhaust manifolds will likely have to custom, and there's not a whole lot of room to place a turbo in the engine compartment. If you are serious about efficiency then you're looking for equal length manifolds, this would position the turbo's likely under the car, exhausts would also take up a lot of room. etc. etc.

But hey we were all young once, have fun. This falls into the if you have to ask, then you don't know enough about it, and you likely can't afford it. There's a reason why a lot of those rally trucks have a bunch of sponsors on the sides of the trucks, power = money.

If you're serious, the vehicle you'll end up with won't be streetable at all, and even if it was it wouldn't be fun to drive on the street either way.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:38 AM   #7 (permalink)
Contributing Member

Red face

Been there done that in my youth.

The money I spent on just one engine I could pay all my living expenses for a year now.

Then one just has to have the most sexy trailer . Pulled by a Freight Liner Classic with at least a 600 HP 3406

Fun at the time
Old 07-16-2013, 11:38 AM
Yotatech
4WD Truck

Paid Advertisement

Tags
300hp, 5vz, 5vzfe, advice, ecu, engine, horsepower, hp, kit, management, pulling, standalone, supercharger, swap, tacoma, turbo