3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

3.4l intake/emissions differences from '97 to '01

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 09:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3.4l intake/emissions differences from '97 to '01

Long time lurker, first time poster. I'm balls deep in this swap, and digging deeper haha

A little background info:

Recipient: '93 Xtra cab 4WD Auto 3.0L 135,000 miles (I have factory EWD)
1st Donor: 1997 T100 4WD Auto 3.4L 199,999 miles (I stripped the entire truck bare of everything I might need: entire wiring harness, ECU, all the crap under the hood, etc...)
2nd Donor: 2001 4runner limited RWD Auto 3.4L 135,000 miles (I have the engine, plus most of the engine wiring, everything that bolts to the engine, plus some crap from under the hood, fuse/relay box, some other sensors, air box. NO ECU)

The '97 T100 was pretty grimy and used up, but I had the entire truck, and have pulled pretty much everything from it, including the factory EWD. I sourced this particular model because I knew it would make pretty much everything easier (wiring, oil pan, ECU, etc...) HOWEVER, once I started tearing down the engine to replaced all the seals and gaskets, I realized it wasn't a worthy donor. I pulled the heads and one of them was toast. So, I found a great deal at a local auto recycler on an engine from an '01 4Runner. I replaced all the gaskets and seals on it, used the pan from the T100, relocated the dipstick blah blah blah blah.

I know the '01 4runner had an electronic throttle, so I'll be using the T100 throttle, and most of all the sensors on the engine are the same as the '97 T100. Which brings me to my question about the rest of the differences between the two donors. Basically everything in the engine bay like emissions, evap, vacuum, etc.. Is there anything I can use from the '01 4runner? Or is the 97 T100 ECU going to be looking for input from sensors that are specific to that year? I haven't familiarized myself with all the emissions crap yet, but I'm finishing up the engine and getting ready to drop it into the truck and tackle the wiring. I noticed 02 sensor part numbers are different between the donors too, so I'm thinking I'm just going to have to use the long block from the '01 and I'll be stuck with all the other crap from the T100.

Here's the parts I'd like to use from the '01 since they're in much better shape, but the part numbers are different from the '97:

Fuel injectors
Igniter for ignition coil
Ignition Coils
Air Flow Meter
Vacuum Switching Valve
Vapor Canister Purge Solenoid
Engine wiring harness connectors

Also-- I guess I didn't get the Vapor/charcoal box from the '01 since it's under the chassis. I could go back and get it if needed.

Those are just a few that I noticed, there may be more. What do you guys think? Any big differences that will throw the T100 ECU off?

Please help.
Thanks

Last edited by kooter77; 08-31-2016 at 10:03 AM.
Old 08-31-2016, 09:53 AM

everyone likes pics, don't they?

This is basically all of the wiring from the entire '97 T100 (ECU not pictured)

Here's what I nabbed from the '01 4runner

ewww is that mouse crap in the engine ('97 T100 donor)

Ahhh much betta, waiting on some parts from the powder coater to finish assembling. Those are Downy ceramic headers I scored off eBay.

Soon, someday, soon, she will sail again

Old 09-01-2016, 09:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kooter77
Long time lurker, first time poster. I'm balls deep in this swap, and digging deeper haha

A little background info:

Recipient: '93 Xtra cab 4WD Auto 3.0L 135,000 miles (I have factory EWD)
1st Donor: 1997 T100 4WD Auto 3.4L 199,999 miles (I stripped the entire truck bare of everything I might need: entire wiring harness, ECU, all the crap under the hood, etc...)
2nd Donor: 2001 4runner limited RWD Auto 3.4L 135,000 miles (I have the engine, plus most of the engine wiring, everything that bolts to the engine, plus some crap from under the hood, fuse/relay box, some other sensors, air box. NO ECU)

The '97 T100 was pretty grimy and used up, but I had the entire truck, and have pulled pretty much everything from it, including the factory EWD. I sourced this particular model because I knew it would make pretty much everything easier (wiring, oil pan, ECU, etc...) HOWEVER, once I started tearing down the engine to replaced all the seals and gaskets, I realized it wasn't a worthy donor. I pulled the heads and one of them was toast. So, I found a great deal at a local auto recycler on an engine from an '01 4Runner. I replaced all the gaskets and seals on it, used the pan from the T100, relocated the dipstick blah blah blah blah.

I know the '01 4runner had an electronic throttle, so I'll be using the T100 throttle, and most of all the sensors on the engine are the same as the '97 T100. Which brings me to my question about the rest of the differences between the two donors. Basically everything in the engine bay like emissions, evap, vacuum, etc.. Is there anything I can use from the '01 4runner? Or is the 97 T100 ECU going to be looking for input from sensors that are specific to that year? I haven't familiarized myself with all the emissions crap yet, but I'm finishing up the engine and getting ready to drop it into the truck and tackle the wiring. I noticed 02 sensor part numbers are different between the donors too, so I'm thinking I'm just going to have to use the long block from the '01 and I'll be stuck with all the other crap from the T100.

Here's the parts I'd like to use from the '01 since they're in much better shape, but the part numbers are different from the '97:

Fuel injectors
Igniter for ignition coil
Ignition Coils
Air Flow Meter
Vacuum Switching Valve
Vapor Canister Purge Solenoid
Engine wiring harness connectors

Also-- I guess I didn't get the Vapor/charcoal box from the '01 since it's under the chassis. I could go back and get it if needed.

Those are just a few that I noticed, there may be more. What do you guys think? Any big differences that will throw the T100 ECU off?

Please help.
Thanks
If it were me, I would keep everything based on the 97 T100, but I would use the motor from the '01 (just swap over the various components that the '97 is expecting, which it sounds like you did).

As to your list of parts:
Fuel injectors - I'm not sure what the differences are from year to year (maybe just coil resistance), or what impact that would have on anything
Igniter for ignition coil - Not sure what the difference is, or could be.
Ignition Coils - Not sure about any differences
Air Flow Meter - This is definitely different between the years, the early years had an in-line, "bullet" style MAF and the later had a "drop-in" MAF. Even though the plugs are the same, the pinouts are different between the 2 styles (but move a couple wires and you're good to go).
Vacuum Switching Valve - Not sure of differences or why
Vapor Canister Purge Solenoid - Not sure of differences or why
Engine wiring harness connectors - 100% different between '97 and '01.
O2 sensor - '97 uses two O2 sensors, '01 uses one wide band AFR meter and one O2 sensor, they are not the same and send different signals back to the ECU.

Based on where you live (you didn't mention), do you need to pass any emissions inspections (like California's SMOG)? If you do, I would even further suggest using as much of the '97 parts (ECU mainly) as you can, because then your truck will have to pass '97 emissions standards and not the more stringent '01 standards.

I'm sure I missed something.
Old 09-06-2016, 07:31 PM

thanks for the info. I'm in Texas, but it's registered in Oklahoma, so no emissions
I will hopefully get into the wiring end of this week or the next, I think I will just plan on using the '97 harness and just harvest plugs or other pieces from the '01 as I can.