3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

3.4 Wiring Problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 02:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3.4 Wiring Problems

I have an 85 4 Runner with a 3.4 swapped from a 2000 4 Runner. The donor was a 2WD auto. The engine, trans, catalytic converters and ECM all from the same donor.

I used the ORS crossover pipe and had them create a wiring harness.

The swap was completed years ago but, I've had the same problem from day 1. Neutral Safety switch code. I've gone through the wring from the trans to the plug in the firewall. All the voltages are good. Replaced the switch just because. Problem persists.

I decided to try and make my own harness from the donor wiring for just the transmission. It's only 9 ways. How hard could it really be?????

Here's the problem that I need help with from Yotatech. I traced the wires from the donor wiring but, I don't know where this plug goes:

http://s955.photobucket.com/user/Do0...92b65.jpg.html

This plug attaches to a sensor in the engine bay and/or in the trans. I realize it's a shot in the dark that someone will recognize this plug but, I thought I would take a shot. If you don't recognize the plug, can anyone provide a resource for a wiring diagram for a 2000 4 runner?

Thanks

Last edited by Do Over; 09-03-2013 at 02:37 PM.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fixed the image for you (use the "IMG" tag from Photobucket):
Name:  image_zpsea692b65.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  86.8 KB

http://techinfo.toyota.com/ will have all the PDFs you should need, but you'll have to spend the $15 for 48 hour access.

Look through the 5VZ Engine Control or 5VZ Electronically Controlled Transmission, at the end of each section they have drawings of all the connectors used in that section with the pins numbered as if you were plugging the connector into your eye, an "X" where there is no wire, and a dot on pins that are populated just not used in that section of the EWD. If you don't find it in either of those 2, look at the Overall diagram in the General folder, then you may have to look through all the individual PDFs (unlikely, but possible).

That said, that kind of looks similar to the A/T connector for my 96 A/T 4Runner donor, I think technically they call it the Park/Neutral Switch, but basically it tells the ECU what gear the transmission shift lever is set to. Although the latch on the top makes it look like thats a harness to harness connector, so really, I have no idea, but hopefully that gives you enough info to find the answer if no one knows off hand.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:49 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

The number should be on the plug at least the last 5 digits

The first ones are 90980

With the complete number it should tell you what it is
Old 09-04-2013, 06:29 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I feel like you could call ORS and they would be happy to help you. That is the large plug that plugs into the top of the newer auto trans. Unsure of it's function, but I wired my NSS to stay open all the time and I never touched that plug. Wether you are running and auto or a manual you can wire the NSS to be "open" all the time. IH1-22 on my (auto to auto swap) is the park side of the NSS. II3-2 is the wire on the 3.4 side that corresponds. I hope something here helps you?

Last edited by vasinvictor; 09-04-2013 at 06:35 AM.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by SacRunner
Fixed the image for you (use the "IMG" tag from Photobucket):

http://techinfo.toyota.com/ will have all the PDFs you should need, but you'll have to spend the $15 for 48 hour access.

Look through the 5VZ Engine Control or 5VZ Electronically Controlled Transmission, at the end of each section they have drawings of all the connectors used in that section with the pins numbered as if you were plugging the connector into your eye, an "X" where there is no wire, and a dot on pins that are populated just not used in that section of the EWD. If you don't find it in either of those 2, look at the Overall diagram in the General folder, then you may have to look through all the individual PDFs (unlikely, but possible).

That said, that kind of looks similar to the A/T connector for my 96 A/T 4Runner donor, I think technically they call it the Park/Neutral Switch, but basically it tells the ECU what gear the transmission shift lever is set to. Although the latch on the top makes it look like thats a harness to harness connector, so really, I have no idea, but hopefully that gives you enough info to find the answer if no one knows off hand.
Thanks. I see the IMG tag in photo bucket and will use that in the future.

Good information. You are correct. It looks like the connector for the neutral safety switch but, it's not. The connector pictured is at the other end of the harness from after it goes thru the firewall to the interior.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
The number should be on the plug at least the last 5 digits

The first ones are 90980

With the complete number it should tell you what it is
I tried that. I can't find a part number to save my life. All the other connectors have one but, not this one?
Old 09-04-2013, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by vasinvictor
I feel like you could call ORS and they would be happy to help you. That is the large plug that plugs into the top of the newer auto trans. Unsure of it's function, but I wired my NSS to stay open all the time and I never touched that plug. Wether you are running and auto or a manual you can wire the NSS to be "open" all the time. IH1-22 on my (auto to auto swap) is the park side of the NSS. II3-2 is the wire on the 3.4 side that corresponds. I hope something here helps you?
I tried ORS. Less than thrilled with the support from day one.

This is interesting. If your NSS is open all the time, that should trip the same code that i have. According to this:

http://www.watrd.com/work/cip1780.pdf

If the computer is not receiving a signal, it is assumed to be in drive.

Another question for you on the 96 swap. Do you have a shift lock control switch or shift lock control ecu located at the shifter? According to the Haynes manual (yes, i'm that desperate), the A340f has one. I wonder if i need to hook all that up?

Last edited by Do Over; 09-04-2013 at 09:28 AM.