3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

3.4 swap starts then dies

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2016, 06:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3.4 swap starts then dies

Need some help finished swapping my engine it's a 99 3.4 into a 90 3.0 also swapped my auto out for a manual trans, got my wire harness from ORS, so at first my 4Runner would just crank wouldnt get anything else ORS told me the auto ECU I got with my harness would run the engine fine but I would just get a engine light because of the missing auto trans but I suspected that ECU was just bad alltogether so I got a computer from the wreckers since I needed a manual one any way I plugged it in and now she will crank and then fire and right after it just dies every time I got a code p1300 which is ignition circuit malfunction, so I swapped out my igniter with one on my bros truck, nothing a have all new coil packs I got off eBay, thought those my be dodgy so I swapped them with my brothers also, still nothing I have all new plugs and wires as well, I've checked all my grounds look good my fuses are good I swapped out my efi, circuit opening relay and fuel pump relay, still the same I took apart my intake and checked all the wiring no visible defects, the wires going down to my ECU had a few wires that the insulation was scrapped off so taped them all up, thought that might be it but still nothing, read that something was switching off the injectors, I would be surprised if it didn't have to do with my swap and was just something on the 4Runner but i dont know, could it be old gas? It's been sitting about a year or my fuel filter? I'm stumped, also I don't have my o2 sensors or exhaust hooked up could that have anything to do with it?
Thanks for any help I've already learned a lot on this swap just want to get it running already!
Old 06-14-2016, 07:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would double check the MAF wiring. Make sure it's the correct MAF for the ECU you're using. IIRC the pin positions swapped around a few years, and of course there's 2 totally different style MAFs they used on the 5vz 1995.5-1998 (cartridge styel) and then the 99-04 (drop in style). What year M/T ECU did you use? Also if you changed ECU, hope you used the same year ORS built the harness for, even then I would call them to discuss any different pin positions between M/T and A/T ECU (there are some differences) Good luck.
Old 06-14-2016, 10:20 PM

I made sure i got the correct MAF for my ecu it is the drop in type, just checked the pins on my harness and my ewds everything looks as it should be. I have a 99 M/T ecu it is part number 89661-3D560 which ors referred to me, told me it would be compatible. Going to go through my wiring double checking, might try to get a new igniter just to test it out. thanks for the help!
Old 07-06-2016, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by christianlambert
I made sure i got the correct MAF for my ecu it is the drop in type, just checked the pins on my harness and my ewds everything looks as it should be. I have a 99 M/T ecu it is part number 89661-3D560 which ors referred to me, told me it would be compatible. Going to go through my wiring double checking, might try to get a new igniter just to test it out. thanks for the help!
Can you get it to run eventually? I had a problem that sounds a little like this problem for a little while in my truck. After getting it to warm up it would start up and run (though not super well). It was a miswired MAF, I wired it up nicely and now my truck runs smooth!
Old 07-06-2016, 09:32 PM

Yep I got it to run, the p1300 ended up being a loose wire coming from my igniter to my coil, And then it turns out my maf was turned the wrong way, apparently if its just position wrong it will cause your truck to run wrong and maybe not even start, but she's running good now!