3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

3.4 swap questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 03:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3.4 swap questions

Ok so I might not be askin them all the right way, but here goes...
1) When the running lights are on, why would the brake lights always be on, then when you press the brake pedal the lights turn off....none of the signals work now. But when motor was going with the 3.Ol in it everything worked perfect -til it blew..

2) When doing the wiring (which is where I'm at in my swap) can you use dash wires and connectors into the new computer?...

3) the air intake box is too large to fit under the hood of my truck is it okay to use the 3.Ol air intake box as its a lot smaller and made to fit the truck.

4) Is there a way to take the a/c and cruise lines out of the engine as my truck isn't equipped with either..

5) Can someone point me in the direction where to get electrical wiring diagrams?!?! I am definately going to need them since I'm on my own to figure out this wiring....or some serious assistance cause I don't know anything about wiring and really wanna get the truck running before snow hits the ground...and stays!

Last edited by cdnyotagirl; 11-20-2013 at 03:21 PM.
Old 11-20-2013, 10:54 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Why is the Air Cleaner Box to Big?? If it is the correct one for your engine it should fit.

Look for The EWD`s on Ebay Since Toyota sold the rights to Helm Inc Lots of years out of print and prices went up from like $15.00 to $75.00 plus.

Sounds like you have a mess on your hands with your light issues could be blubs in wrong could be wiring damage might be the evil trailer converter box.

You need the correct plug for your new ECM to plug into for the wires in the cab. One just repins the correct wires in your new plug

Spend a few hours reading through the swap threads.

Be good to let us know the year of your vehicle and the year and model of the engine going in.
Old 11-21-2013, 07:23 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You seriously seem like you have a mess on your hands. The brake light wiring should be easy. The blinkers should not have been touched during the swap, unless it's a ground that didn't get hooked back up. You have to relocate the battery to the driver side to make room for the intake. If you don't relocate the battery you'll have to use a short ram "cold air intake", which is not ideal. The stock 3.0 intake won't fit, period. Yes, you can retrofit your A/C and cruise, but that can be done after you get the engine running properly. You should not try to concern yourself with them at this time. You'll be digging deeper. You can find EWDs on the internet various places still. Of course, we have no idea the year or model you're working with, so you 'll have to search for the apppropriate ones. It sounds like I'm repeating everything u/wyoming9 said so I'll stop

If you're trying to get this done before winter you might have to farm this project out, IF anyone will even attempt to take it on. Figuring out other people's hacking it really hard sometimes. Based on the nature of your questions, it sounds like you are pretty far behind the curve on this mechanic/wiring stuff. However, you CAN learn if you dedicate quite a bit of time to it.

Last edited by vasinvictor; 11-21-2013 at 07:25 AM.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cdnyotagirl
Ok so I might not be askin them all the right way, but here goes...
1) When the running lights are on, why would the brake lights always be on, then when you press the brake pedal the lights turn off....none of the signals work now. But when motor was going with the 3.Ol in it everything worked perfect -til it blew..

2) When doing the wiring (which is where I'm at in my swap) can you use dash wires and connectors into the new computer?...

3) the air intake box is too large to fit under the hood of my truck is it okay to use the 3.Ol air intake box as its a lot smaller and made to fit the truck.

4) Is there a way to take the a/c and cruise lines out of the engine as my truck isn't equipped with either..

5) Can someone point me in the direction where to get electrical wiring diagrams?!?! I am definately going to need them since I'm on my own to figure out this wiring....or some serious assistance cause I don't know anything about wiring and really wanna get the truck running before snow hits the ground...and stays!
1. The "STP" (Stop) signal is generated when the brake pedal is pressed, and is used to (a) tell the ECU that the brakes are applied and (b) to illuminate the brake lights. Toyota had a habit of wiring these trucks with a switched ground which is different than most people's wiring approach of a switched power; this could be causing some issues based on how you wired it up.

2. Your best bet is to make a "conversion harness" that plugs into the dash harness (usually 2 connectors) of your 3.0 truck on one side and plugs into the 3.4 ECU and 3.4 engine harness on the other. In theory, doing this prevents you from having to modify the 3.0 dash harness AND from having to modify the 3.4 engine harness. To answer your specific question, yes you could use the 3.0 dash wires (I recommend the conversion harness rather than this approach) to plug into the 3.4 ECU but you will likely need new connectors to match your ECU (or at an absolute minimum, re-pin the 3.0 connector to match the 3.4 ECU if the connector body happens to fit the 3.4 ECU).

3. The 3.0 airbox WILL NOT WORK. Abandon that thought now and save yourself a lot of grief.

4. Are you talking about the A/C and cruise wires in the harness or the physical hoses and cables? Wires, yes, you can remove them, but know that you'll have a tough time adding them back in if you ever want to add A/C or cruise to your truck.

5. https://techinfo.toyota.com/‎ sign up for the 48hr membership and download EVERYTHING for your truck and the donor truck.

Good luck and please add some details about your application and pictures really do go a long way to illustrate problems.