3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

3.4 Swap isn't starting now

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 12:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
3.4 Swap isn't starting now

Hey guys,
Did the 3.4 swap over a year ago, haven't driven it much but usually start it up every week or 2.

It WILL NOT start now, (ever since the temperature dropped below freezing, even when the temp goes up, still no start).

It's a 3.4 swap using an ORS harness. No problems with it before.

Fuel pressure gauge is reading zero... what would cause the pump not to turn on? Where should i check first?
I tried quick-start in the intake and nothing... didn't even fire...
It cranks no problem, just doesn't fire.... any ideas?

Greg
Old 02-06-2012, 02:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Back to basics, air, fuel, spark.

What you're mentioning is the lack of seemingly two things. If the fuel pump isn't turning over you need to verify if the fuel pump works. If you can find the wires that lead to the fuel pump you can jump the wires to a battery and see if it pressurizes. I know on the old 3.0 you could jump some pins to pressurize the fuel system I'm not sure if you can do that on the swap.

If you're sprayed quick start into the intake and it still didn't start then you may seemingly have a ignition problem as well, as quick start should ignite but not keep the vehicle running.

I'd try to verify fuel pressure and spark first.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:40 PM
ORS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A couple quick checks:

-Is the check engine light on when the key is on and you are not cranking (engine off)? If the check engine light does not turn on in this case there is a ECU or ECU power source problem (EFI fuse). On some models this will also keep the fuel pump relay from turning on.

-If the check engine light is on in this case, I would chase the source of your fuel pressure problem. Is there voltage at the fuel pump when cranking (you will NOT find voltage with key on, engine off)? If not, test the fuel pump relay (circuit opening relay, behind the RH ft. speaker are on most models).

You are welcome to email us direct for further assistance, sales@offroadsolutions.com.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:47 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by ORS
A couple quick checks:

-Is the check engine light on when the key is on and you are not cranking (engine off)? If the check engine light does not turn on in this case there is a ECU or ECU power source problem (EFI fuse). On some models this will also keep the fuel pump relay from turning on.

-If the check engine light is on in this case, I would chase the source of your fuel pressure problem. Is there voltage at the fuel pump when cranking (you will NOT find voltage with key on, engine off)? If not, test the fuel pump relay (circuit opening relay, behind the RH ft. speaker are on most models).

You are welcome to email us direct for further assistance, sales@offroadsolutions.com.

Holy potato ORS is alive....

Pull a plug on the drivers side and check for spark. If yes, then you have a fuel problem. Might be worth hooking up a scanner and see if its throwing any codes. Might be worth checking the efi fuse.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:49 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Did a hungry field mouse chew through a wire or two?
Old 02-06-2012, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by ultimase
Back to basics, air, fuel, spark.

What you're mentioning is the lack of seemingly two things. If the fuel pump isn't turning over you need to verify if the fuel pump works. If you can find the wires that lead to the fuel pump you can jump the wires to a battery and see if it pressurizes. I know on the old 3.0 you could jump some pins to pressurize the fuel system I'm not sure if you can do that on the swap.

If you're sprayed quick start into the intake and it still didn't start then you may seemingly have a ignition problem as well, as quick start should ignite but not keep the vehicle running.

I'd try to verify fuel pressure and spark first.
Yeah i was wondering what i could jump to start the pump... it's not pressurizing the line...
Originally Posted by ORS
A couple quick checks:

Thanks Mike, i had the cluster out because i was troubleshooting a wonky boost gauge, will plug it back in and see what it does... hopefully have some time Wednesday to get under the hood. It's an 89 4runner, is the COR the one where the swap harness has the large gauge wires going to it?
Originally Posted by vital22re
Holy potato ORS is alive....

Pull a plug on the drivers side and check for spark. If yes, then you have a fuel problem. Might be worth hooking up a scanner and see if its throwing any codes. Might be worth checking the efi fuse.
Will check that as well, thanks.
Originally Posted by rworegon
Did a hungry field mouse chew through a wire or two?
Haha no mice around here, it's sitting pretty in the garage...

And btw... it's probably something stupid... it usually is... lol...
Old 02-06-2012, 09:21 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
How is the battery looking?
Old 02-07-2012, 04:43 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Greg_Canada
And btw... it's probably something stupid... it usually is... lol...
You didn't say women were involved

:wabbit2:
Old 02-07-2012, 06:55 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by waskillywabbit

Old 02-07-2012, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by bend
How is the battery looking?
Decent, i keep it trickle charged.

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit

The woman doesn't give me enough time to work on it.... LOL...
Old 02-07-2012, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by ORS
A couple quick checks:

It was the first one, the ignition fuse blew, swapped it and it started up like it was sitting a day... Good ole' yota
Old 02-07-2012, 08:02 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm always a believer that fuses don't blow just randomly.

Carry a few spares, but hunt down the issue that caused it to blow.

Glad to hear you got it running.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by dntsdad
I'm always a believer that fuses don't blow just randomly.

Carry a few spares, but hunt down the issue that caused it to blow.

Glad to hear you got it running.
Agreed, tho it was sitting for a few weeks and was the first start since the temp went below freezing.

I once had both my low beam fuses blow at the same time in -20 weather.... That was a pain to change in the parking lot prior to my drive home! Never happened again after tho....