3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

3.4 swap help.

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 02:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3.4 swap help.

I've been out of the Yota game (sold my crawler years ago) and I need some help. Just bought my son an 89 Toyota pickup and it has the 3.4 swap done on it. Unfortunately, I have NO idea if it was done right or not.

The owner obviously had it started up and warmed up before we got to his house because it fired right up. Today, when I went out to start it after it sat all night, it took FOREVER to start it. I called him and he told me to look under the dash where he installed some type of a fuel switch. I flipped that switch and it eventually started. I was not aware of this when I bought it. He claims he didn't do the swap and that it was like that when he bought it. he also claims this was a 3.0 to 3.4 swap but I don't think that's right because the grill doesn't have the V-6 emblem on it but I don't know if it's a stock grill or if the 89 had the v-6 emblem or not. I'm feeling like this was probably a 22RE truck but not sure how to confirm this.

In looking at 3.4 swap pics on line, the one obvious thing that I do not see is the Evap Box. Not sure how much that the Evap Box is required but I imagine if I'm seeing in EVERY single picture of a 3.4 swap that it should probably be in the truck.

Would the lack of the Evap box cause these long, delayed starts?

What else will the missing Evap box cause the truck to do, or not do?

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help!!
Old 03-19-2016, 02:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by FatA$$ Toyota
I've been out of the Yota game (sold my crawler years ago) and I need some help. Just bought my son an 89 Toyota pickup and it has the 3.4 swap done on it. Unfortunately, I have NO idea if it was done right or not.

The owner obviously had it started up and warmed up before we got to his house because it fired right up. Today, when I went out to start it after it sat all night, it took FOREVER to start it. I called him and he told me to look under the dash where he installed some type of a fuel switch. I flipped that switch and it eventually started. I was not aware of this when I bought it. He claims he didn't do the swap and that it was like that when he bought it. he also claims this was a 3.0 to 3.4 swap but I don't think that's right because the grill doesn't have the V-6 emblem on it but I don't know if it's a stock grill or if the 89 had the v-6 emblem or not. I'm feeling like this was probably a 22RE truck but not sure how to confirm this.

In looking at 3.4 swap pics on line, the one obvious thing that I do not see is the Evap Box. Not sure how much that the Evap Box is required but I imagine if I'm seeing in EVERY single picture of a 3.4 swap that it should probably be in the truck.

Would the lack of the Evap box cause these long, delayed starts?

What else will the missing Evap box cause the truck to do, or not do?

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help!!
I never ran evap. I don't have emissions check so it just wasn't necessary. It won't affect how the truck runs, and certainly not the cause of your long starts. You need to look into your COR (circuit opening relay, it's what turns the fuel pump on) and make sure it's wired people. There's 2 ways it can be wired. Swap101 thread goes into detail about its function. If it's wired properly (doubt it) then start looking at the usual suspects, fpr, fuel pump, leaky injector, etc
Old 03-19-2016, 09:55 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

I feel you pain after buying a poorly done 3.4 swap myself

The EVAP can is not on the left inner fender ??

Did they bother to hook up the OBII access plug??

Does the MIL work at all.

Without the EVAP system the MIL would always be on

Your engine should fire right up.
Old 09-08-2016, 08:07 AM
MSR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
More than likely the starter signal wire is not wired properly to either the ecm or circuit opening relay. I have had to fix many backyard installations and you never really know whats going on until you double check their swap wiring. Good luck let us know what you find and how to help.