3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

3.4 5vz-fe Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 11:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3.4 5vz-fe Help Please

Hello, I hope for someone out there can quickly and effortlessly answer this question I have, I been searching for days and my eyes hurt, lol

My friends and I done a 3.4 5vz-fe swap in my 95 toyota pickup (former 4 runner) and it ran great , but now it is sputtering and loosing power when you try to put the peddle down, When I done the swap I unknowingly neglected to put the OBDII (under dash data scan tool port) in And I have No clue how to wire it in

I searched for days trying to find the pin-outs for It and I have found almost every other pin-out but the one I need

so here is some info...
The computer (ecm) I have has the numbers 89661-3D360 (the donor is from a 4runner.. possibly a 98 (not 100%though))
The pin-outs for the OBDII have only 4 wires
X = /NA

1X 2X 3X 4(white with black stripe) 5 (brown) 6X 7(white) (then goes into larger wire) 8X

9-15 X and 16 (purple)

I have read that the brown is a ground(does it have to lead into other pin-outs, or can be just grounded?) and white with the black is also a ground, the purple is 7.5 fused power, but the white wire is where I am really lost, does anyone know where the white wire goes to on the ECM? what pin on E9 E10 E11 or E12?

I would appreciate if i could have a diagram to help me, but just the answer may do as well,

After that i can use a scan tool and ill be-able to determine what codes I am receiving
Old 01-03-2015, 06:49 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Just curious how could you forget this??

What did you use when you did the swap to get it all wired up??Not knowing what year you have??

If I had the correct year EWD for your ECM I would be glad to let you know.
Old 01-03-2015, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
Just curious how could you forget this??

What did you use when you did the swap to get it all wired up??Not knowing what year you have??

If I had the correct year EWD for your ECM I would be glad to let you know.
It has been a long time since I done the swap.. and I kinda forgot the year..XD, the only thing I can remember now is if its a early or later 98 model... If that factors anything? (it is a 98)

Also when I did the swap I forgot to cut the port out and tie it into the wiring, and I thought I did and lost it,(was also unsure about the information I had was correct) lol...but it was just sitting in the dash till I went looking for it when i needed it..... I know... was stupid of me to do..

What exactly do you need to know?
Old 01-04-2015, 02:41 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Your white wire is a shielded wire going to pin 8 on the E12 plug on the ECM from pin 7 on the obd II connector

Hope that fixes you up.

Your far better then me being able to use a 3.4 without a OB 11 connector it took me months to trouble shoot through all the wiring and bad sensors before it could make it out the driveway even able to read the codes.
Old 01-04-2015, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
Your white wire is a shielded wire going to pin 8 on the E12 plug on the ECM from pin 7 on the obd II connector

Hope that fixes you up.

Your far better then me being able to use a 3.4 without a OB 11 connector it took me months to trouble shoot through all the wiring and bad sensors before it could make it out the driveway even able to read the codes.
Thanks!, may I ask about the other wires?.. mainly the brown wire.... I know the white and black stripe is ground(to kick pannel), the brown, has a few locations It could go to that confused me as well, a few said it needs to go to 2 other pins.on different plugs.... others said the the engine somewhere??. the purple is key power..so thats easy.

Like I said before I done lots of reading on this and had so many different locations of where the wires may go, Pin 8 on E12 was one of them, so thank you for confirming this..

also when you say pin #8 is it left to right when looking at the plug or the other way around?(i pulled schematics of the other way around, and wasn't able to tell what there abbreviations were.. not the norm anyways)... Ive read so much contradictory posts I figured Id post on here... SO I really do appreciate the help thus far.
Old 01-04-2015, 09:40 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
the brown, brown/red, white/black are grounds. You can tie them into one source really doesn't matter. Then you have your shielded white wire *signal wire* and the purple 7.5 amp fused power.

Make sure you match the pin out on the obd2 plug to your ecu year/model. The signal wire pin changes between models and years.