3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

1989 EWD's Electrical Wiring Diagrams

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 04:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1989 EWD's Electrical Wiring Diagrams

Okay i know there's Someone out there with and 1989 Electrical Wiring Diagram's I Copied the Dealerships Manual years ago but have somehow lost some of it. Im needing the Auto 4wd and Cruise Control sections. I have the rest. Im trying to finish my swap thanks.
Old 04-06-2010, 04:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey fallman i can get them, send me your email address and i will get them to you.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:10 PM

pm sent
Old 04-12-2010, 08:05 PM

Bump back to the top guy sent me wiring diagrams but they werent 89 diagrams look to be 90 diagrams anyone have diagrams for an 89 that they are willing to share.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:31 PM

bump to top
Old 04-15-2010, 12:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Been having the same issues finding a good wirig diagram for my 89 4runner.
Out of sheer frustration I bit the bullet and bought a full 1989 4runner wiring diagram(book) From the Toyota Material Distribution Center phoe # is 1 800-622-2033
it cost $32.00 delivered to my house. Havn't got it yet, but it better show me what I'm looking for. and they said if its not right I could send it back minus the shipping.
Old 04-15-2010, 01:43 PM

well i called them last week about buying it and they said it was back ordered and they didnt know when more would be coming in. So you might check back with them cause just cause you ordered doesnt mean they have it. oh and btw if you get the part number for the book from them you can order it from the dealer and not have to pay shipping or at least as much shipping.
Old 04-22-2010, 07:49 AM

Well, it took a week ti get it but I just got my 89 4runner wiring book from toyota. everything is matcing up perfect. I dont have access to a copy machine or scanner or else i would just send them to you. it cost 30 buck to get it to my door. well worth it.
Old 04-23-2010, 07:44 AM

well ill call them and see if i can get it now
Old 04-23-2010, 09:34 AM

I'm making some serious progress,and keeping a log of what wire goes where.
If I get this thing finished this weekend,then I'll send you my log,showing what wire goes where. possibly next week. it sounded like your swap is almost identical.
89 4runner had 3.0 with manual trans
3.4 motor out of a 96 4runner had auto trans
using auto ECU with auto wire harness
Old 04-23-2010, 04:45 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
post it up here for everyone to use!!
Old 04-24-2010, 08:48 AM

thanks guys,

actually whats going on is i swapped my 89 Pickup 4 years ago electronics for the swap came from a 97 4runner. Now i wrecked that truck a year ago and am now moving the swap into a 92 4runner and instead of redoing all the wiring im just repinning the harness to use the 92 4runner connectors. Thats why i needed the 89 diagram so i could compare it to the 92. Anyway i believe i have it all figured out now and ready to go im just waiting on a few parts before i start it up. should be started on monday.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:41 PM

i need the wiring diagram for a 1989 yota, im putin a 95 3.4 in it an im havin a hell of a time with the wiring. anyone please feel free to give some advice. thanks

Last edited by murphy250; 03-21-2013 at 05:43 PM.
Old 07-25-2015, 10:49 PM

I too am currently battling to find the info needed to adapt one harness to the other from my 89 4runner 3.0 5spd to put a 99 Tacoma 3.4 4x4 5spd doner . I've tried everything I can think of using the resources from several sites for info but no luck so far . Any ideas or help here would be much appreciated ! Thanks , Dean
Old 07-26-2015, 11:26 AM

still learning how to use site so bear with me , thanks , Dean

Last edited by KeepKool; 07-26-2015 at 11:30 AM.
Old 07-31-2015, 12:23 PM

Most of you wont need this how-to but other people im sure will find this through google and need it.

Let me be the bearer of bad news on this one. If your trucks are anything like my 89 was then no wiring detail or wire color will match the colors or locations in the manuals. My assumption (and I may be wrong) is that there was no uniform diagram/standards for the factories that produced our truck.

For example, When I started my swap I made a huge document with all the wiring that needed to be splice (colors/pin numbers etc) and during the swap I found out nothing matched.

That being said let me describe how me (and many others) finish up their swaps.
Assuming you have a 3.4 harness you can use (you can get one from a junkyard and it doesnt have to match perfectly auto/ manual computer year if you are doing auto in your swap I would stick with the auto harness) and you are reusing your existing body harness.

Step 1: (if your donor harness matches the ECM skip this step):
If your donor harness plugs do not match the 3.4 ECM you have do not fear!
-go to a toyota dealer (take the new ecm) and ask them for the plugs they will be confused as to why the f*** you need them but they should have them or be able to get them.
-Get a TIS account (trust me) while it doesnt go far enough back to get the 80's trucks like my 89 they will have every wiring variation of the 3.4, I bought the 3 day membership and grabbed what I needed
-find the ECM YOU HAVE print the entire overview wiring detail
-find the wiring detail that matches the harness (don't remove the plugs on the harness yet!! this helps identify what harness it is and which wire does what)
-painstakingly label every wire on your printed details to convert
I.E. I went one wire at a time wire 1 from this plug on the harness goes to X pin on the new plug. I matched based off function/what made sense.
NOTE: MAKE SURE YOU ARE LOOKING AT THE PLUG THE RIGHT DIRECTION. I wired a whole plug backwards and had to redo it (TIS manuals describe what direction to read from)
-Bam now your harness matches your ECM. If the harness was auto and you have a manual cut the unused wires (thats what I did)

Step 2:
-If you havent already print out the overview wiring detail that matches you harness and computer then do it(from TIS most likely)
-Identify the wires that relat to the body plugs. TIS labels plugs on the wires as a square with a plug reference on it (usually a letter followed by a number) TIS shows the plugs and how to read them on the overview pages.
NOTE: from my experience 80's trucks body harnesses are H1 and H2, my donor (a 98 taco) used k1 and k2
-After identifying the body plugs you need to patch over you have two options...
Option 1:
There are 80's 4runner wiring details floating around on the internet but the wire colors and plug numbers wont match yours (probably), however they are still useful!! Use the diagram to figure out how the wire was run in you truck.
I.E. well I know i need to wire a starter signal, ok according to the toyota 80's inaccurate diagram.... the starting signal goes to my starting relay. Okay find the starter relay and see what wire it is. unplug the relay and use a multimeter to figure out which wire it is on the body harness plug (ohm it out or do a continuity test) Okay make a note of which plug it is.
Option 2:
-You cant find a D*** thing on the interwebs and are totally lost. Then do it the hard way, get to know how toyota wired your truck.
I.E. take a multimeter and figure out which wires run where oh this ignition wire runs over there or oh theres a trigger for the altenator and that needs to go somewhere.... this way is harder and you need to be car smart

Step 3:
THE F***ING GAUGE CLUSTER!!
-Okay unplug you cluster and take your meter. Figure out which wire from the plugs go where in your body harness. Be intelligent which wires are you nuking... aka which ones go to the engine? make note of them. collant temp/oil pressure/throttle/ etc.
-On my truck the cluster doesnt match any diagrams either so good luck.

Step 4:
Shoot me a PM if youre confused I may be able to help =)

Also sorry for the HHHHHUUUUGE Paragraph

edit: i did all this with the harnesses in the truck... if you do that i suggest having extra wire some things will need to be lengthened.

for your meter to reach you will probably need scrap wire to reach from one wire end to another.

SOLDER AND SHRINK WRAP EVERYTHING!

Last edited by exporunner; 07-31-2015 at 12:26 PM.
Old 07-31-2015, 10:06 PM

85 deluxe sr5 with 4.3 swap

Sorry if this is a dumb question I'm a (noob) here. I did the 4.3 swap on my 85 and I used Howell EFI wiring harness. There is a wire on the drivers side that says (tachometer output signal) where do I need to splice this wire into to make my tach work?
Old 08-01-2015, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by JWalker85toy
Sorry if this is a dumb question I'm a (noob) here. I did the 4.3 swap on my 85 and I used Howell EFI wiring harness. There is a wire on the drivers side that says (tachometer output signal) where do I need to splice this wire into to make my tach work?
I know literally nothing about 4.3 swaps =P if your talking about which wire goes to the actual cluster the easiest and most reliable way to find the tach wire is to pull ur cluster look on the back there should be a terminal labelled "tach" trace it to where the plug goes in. Now with the cluster out go to the corresponding pin on the plug. Use a multimeter to determine which wire in the kickpanel on the passenger side body plugs corresponds to that tach pin.

That's all the help I can be =)
Old 09-14-2017, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by mechaniman
I'm making some serious progress,and keeping a log of what wire goes where.
If I get this thing finished this weekend,then I'll send you my log,showing what wire goes where. possibly next week. it sounded like your swap is almost identical.
89 4runner had 3.0 with manual trans
3.4 motor out of a 96 4runner had auto trans
using auto ECU with auto wire harness

I am doing this exact swap except mine is 89 extra cab pickup. 3.0
I am trying to figure out he wiring without paying 500 dollars for a converted one. I know this was a long time ago but I'm hoping you could help me. thanks!
Old 09-15-2017, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Tyler Gimenez
I am doing this exact swap except mine is 89 extra cab pickup. 3.0
I am trying to figure out he wiring without paying 500 dollars for a converted one. I know this was a long time ago but I'm hoping you could help me. thanks!
ya I finished this swap like 3 years ago. The rig is now supercharged running the URD 7th injector setup with water-methanol. I don't hang around the forums anymore because no one posts around here anymore. Join the FB pages their are tons of people around there. Try toyotaholics.

Quick Reply: 1989 EWD's Electrical Wiring Diagrams