Maintenance & Repair Archives Note: This section will be merged in with the other tech areas soon, and is now closed

What's the best fuel injector cleaner?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2004, 07:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I couldn't find any of the Redline or BG, so Im picked up a can of the Sea Foam . Let me tell you I can tell a big difference. Idle is smoother and motor is a little bit pepier with my callibrated SOP (seat-o-pants) meter. Anyone else ever tried it? I like it.

Last edited by PirateFins; 03-05-2004 at 07:35 AM.
Old 03-05-2004, 10:18 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PirateFins
I couldn't find any of the Redline or BG, so Im picked up a can of the Sea Foam . Let me tell you I can tell a big difference. Idle is smoother and motor is a little bit pepier with my callibrated SOP (seat-o-pants) meter. Anyone else ever tried it? I like it.
Yah I wanna know more about that product as I wanna try it in my Accord. Can you give me an idea about how you used it and where you got into the engine? Some say to have it sucked through one of the vaccum lines and take it out just as the engine is about to hydrolock. Others I have heard dump it in their crankcase and had it move a bit in there and then they drained the oil and refilled with fresh oil.
Old 03-05-2004, 02:18 PM
Contributing Member

Anyone ever try the Amsoil fuel system cleaner?
Old 03-08-2004, 06:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mohamed
Yah I wanna know more about that product as I wanna try it in my Accord. Can you give me an idea about how you used it and where you got into the engine? Some say to have it sucked through one of the vaccum lines and take it out just as the engine is about to hydrolock. Others I have heard dump it in their crankcase and had it move a bit in there and then they drained the oil and refilled with fresh oil.
As of right now I have just dumped it into the gas tank. It say's 1oz for every gallon of gas. So I dumped in the whole can and filled my tank 7/8 of the way ( I have a 19 gallon tank). I am going to try the intake method when the weather gets a little warmer and I can let the truck run with the garage door open. I'll let you know how that works.
Old 03-08-2004, 07:36 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by PirateFins
As of right now I have just dumped it into the gas tank. It say's 1oz for every gallon of gas. So I dumped in the whole can and filled my tank 7/8 of the way ( I have a 19 gallon tank). I am going to try the intake method when the weather gets a little warmer and I can let the truck run with the garage door open. I'll let you know how that works.
I read this off the link you gave, and man I am still so damn scared to do it, but I've heard good things about it. I mean if I get a carbon chunk in my egr valves, I wouldn't know how to remove my egr valves to get it out. Do definitly let me know how it went about if you decide to suck it up through one of your vaccum lines.

[UPDATE]
Okay I went and bought a can, and I am going to try it out. Now I just gotta wait to get back my car, hopefully anyday now (mind you my car has been at the body shop since December 22, 2003). I plan to have it sucked through the brake booster line, unless I find a vaccum line on the intake plenum.

Last edited by Mohamed; 03-08-2004 at 11:42 AM.
Old 03-11-2004, 12:37 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by X-AWDriver
I used BG's once a year for 8 years in my Eclipse and I plan on the same in my Runner.
So I take it from your post that this is safe for Turbo cars?

Old 04-28-2004, 08:34 PM
Nic

I wanted to follow-up on my last post about whether or not the BG 44K worked. I know it has been a long time, but I have just now used up the fuel in both my vehicles. I used up a tank of gas in my truck not too long ago. And today, I just refilled my 84 Camry. I only live 2 miles from work, so I don't burn much gas.

Well, anyway, I can't really tell much difference in my truck. I think it helped, but I am a very skeptical person.

My car however, has improved considerably. I cleaned my throttle body before I dumped in the can of BG 44K, but the T-body cleaning only helped a little. As I used up the tank of gas (with the BG 44K) in my car, my engine started running better. Before, my engine would lope at idle. It wasn't skipping, it would just idle very low. So much so, I would have to keep my foot on the gas pedal at times. That is now a thing of the past.

By the way, I checked my oil yesterday and noticed some dark colored stuff in it. I'm assuming it is carbon form the BG 44K cleaning. So, if you decide to use a can, you might want to hold off on the oil change until afterwards.
Old 04-29-2004, 07:57 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by SLC Punk
So I take it from your post that this is safe for Turbo cars?

Yes,I know alot of DSM and Supra turbo owners that have been using it for a while and no problems.
Old 05-07-2004, 01:55 PM

Unhappy

you guys so lucky can find BG44k at your area.
I spend my whole day yesterday going from one dealershiip to another and one NAPA to another NAPA. None of them has BG44k, and most of them don't even know what that is. Guess I have to live with the Techron stuff.
Old 05-07-2004, 02:00 PM
Contributing Member

I order 4 from ebay for 60 ,free shipping... while I was waiting for them to arrive , I decided to call my local toyota dealer....They sell and stock them for 16 can. Ebay is always selling them,the more you buy the cheaper.
Old 05-07-2004, 03:42 PM
Nic

Yup, that's where I bought my four. Wish I had bought more, but I have 2 cans left.

eBay is great.
Old 05-30-2004, 04:39 PM
Contributing Member

I just started a can of Redline Fuel System Cleaner. Unlike the other injector cleaners I've used, this stuff is thick. I actually had to wait for it to drain into the gas tank before I could pour out the rest of the bottle. I'll post my results in another week when I fill up again.

Old 05-30-2004, 06:30 PM
Contributing Member

I like Redline. I used it on my dad's van without telling him once and he called me a few days later to ask why his engine was running smoother.

Mind you, this is on a Dodge van that has seen many, MANY miles.
Old 05-31-2004, 05:40 PM

You guys are gonna call me crazy, but nothing is better that straight Toluene. The stuff is more effective at cleaning deposits than anything else and is a common ingredient in pump gas so harmless to the fuel system. You just have to up the concentration a bit. Plus it's a great octane booster as well.

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/...=5;t=000065;p=

http://forums.scoobytech.net/phpBB2/...hlight=toluene

Last edited by GV27; 05-31-2004 at 05:41 PM.
Old 06-06-2004, 08:07 AM

Thumbs up Seafoam

SEAFOAM MOTOR TREATMENT for Gas Engine Applications

A 100% pure petroleum product for use in all gasoline and diesel type engines, both 2 and 4 cycle. OXYGEN SENSOR SAFE. Cleans dirty engine parts internally by removing harmful gums, varnish and carbon. WORKS AND PERFORMS INSTANTLY.

Treats 3 Critical Areas: Gas Tank, Fuel Systems, and Crankcase

How Many Mechanics Use SEA FOAM:

I.E. Treatment of fuel injected Toyota engines – 15,000 to 30,000 miles, as needed

With engine warm, slowly pour 1/3 to 1/2 pint through direct manifold vacuum line that will feed all cylinders. (Possible sources are P.C.V. valve or brake booster line, I’ve used the brake booster line by adding a small piece of fuel line directly to fitting and letting the motors vacuum suck the SEAFOAM out of a container). This will pull SEAFOAM down on top of the pistons and to the back of the intake valves to dissolve carbon. Turn ignition off, or it may stall out first. Let engine sit for 5 minutes. Restart engine after 5 minutes, it may be hard to start at first, keep trying. Engine will run rough at first and smoke will billow out of the exhaust. Make sure exhaust is well ventilated when using SEAFOAM as fumes will be extreme for a short time. For carb engines, pour through carb throat.

This is the same basic treatment you will pay $100 plus dollars for at the mechanic. This treatment will clean carbon deposits in your engine, cure hesitations and ping, restore power and pickup. I have personally used this product in several Toyota motors with great success. 2.4, 2.7, 22RE, 3.4, 4.7, etc.

Adding to gas tank:

1 oz. Per gallon - Cleans fuel injectors and carburetor jets, de-ices and removes moisture, stabilizes fuel

Adding to crankcase oil:

1.5 oz. Per quart - into oil crankcase to clean rings, lifters, dirty parts and remove moisture. I do this about 500 miles BEFORE I change my oil.

You can find it a many auto parts stores such as NAPA. I love this product and recommend it to all my friends.

-Bryan
Old 06-10-2004, 08:53 PM

Didn't read anything about Valvolines SynPower...has anybody tried it? I got a link for the free after rebate in the free stuff section, and I've been thinking about buying a bottle just to see...guess it wouldn't hurt for me to be out $5 bucks for 6-8 weeks

But I have only used less than 1/4 tank since I filled it up after I bought the 4r...so I haven't even got to check to see my gas milage yet.

But has anybody used the synpower with good results? i can't remember what i used in the supra when I had it but I never heard pinging and never ran rough even on 87 octane when the manual called for 91+...but it was whatever the cheapest stuff at autozone was when I went...may have been that stp stuff..
Old 06-11-2004, 05:15 AM

synpower synthetic gas treatment:

Ingredient(s) CAS Number % (by weight)
KEROSENE 8008-20-6 92.0-100.0
GASOLINE PERFORMANCE ADDITIVE 1.0- 8.0

(from http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/...=5;t=000065;p=)

I had no idea that kerosene was a "synthetic" product.
Old 06-11-2004, 11:33 PM

hmm good to know then! must be a marketing scheme to use Synpower as the label
Old 06-12-2004, 03:41 PM
Contributing Member

My mileage went up a little after using the Redline and runs maybe a little better. Worth the $6 in my book.

I'll never use Seafoam. Using a product that runs the risk of blowing your motor is just stupid to me. Ask Oly884. Just my opinion.

Old 06-12-2004, 06:48 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by AgRunner06
I'll never use Seafoam. Using a product that runs the risk of blowing your motor is just stupid to me. Ask Oly884. Just my opinion.

You know I thought the same thing, but once I used it, I totally changed my perspective. You just gotta becareful not to put too much, and not a lot of rpms into it and definitly let the car hydrolock when you use it.

Quick Reply: What's the best fuel injector cleaner?