Maintenance & Repair Archives Note: This section will be merged in with the other tech areas soon, and is now closed
Old 02-09-2016, 09:22 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Cleaning and Detailing
Print Wikipost

waxing by hand tips?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2003, 10:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
waxing by hand tips?

I went to autotopia for tips on exterior detailing. Seems like nobody does it by hand. I can't afford a P/C yet, so i'm going to need tips on polishing/waxing by HAND! i have a lot of time on my hands (winter break), so hours outside won't be a problem. I bought the Mother's Clay pack (clay bar, carnauba wax, instant detailer). I have no idea what instant detailer is. I know it's for keeping the panel moist as i clay. Is that it? I need to get a polish huh.
(things to do: return videos, buy swirl remover, and polish) Any Advice on swirl removers?

So basically :
-waxing/polishing by hand tips
-need a polish?
-swirl remover advice
Old 01-05-2003, 10:51 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Pinoy,

What color is your 4runner? If you don't want to buy the Corey cable and you want to do it by hand, I HIGHLY recommend Zaino Bros. IMHO, it works the best in terms of getting rid of the swirls and giving the paint a wet look.

I have the Corey cable and tried a whole bunch of products but the Zaino (done by hand) worked the best. It costs about $80-$100 to get started but it will be well worth it, especially on a dark colored 4runner.

Bob
Old 01-06-2003, 06:55 AM
Contributing Member

Thumbs up

I'll second the Zaino's Polish for the easiest to apply by hand.

Plus it's a polymer based polish with excellent UV protection.

Swirls are going to be very difficult to remove by hand. Zaino's Z5 will help to fill in "very light" swirls but it may take up to 5 coats.

I have two new Toyotas and thanks to the Half Arsed dealer prep I finally got a "Corey Cable"

My wife's truck 02 pre-Runner is white with no clear coat and I just spent 3 hours on the hood alone using 3M Swirl Mark Remover (SMR) to try to repair the damage done at the dealer.
I was able to get 2 coats of Z5 on it and it looks about 90% better.

My 02 Runner is the clear coated pearl Gold and I haven't had to use the "Corey Cable" on it yet. 3 coats of Z5 and then about 4 coats of Z2 have filled in most of the swirls.

So, if you want to go with Zaino's you will need Z1, Z5, Z2 and Z6
for starters. Their Z16 "Perfect Tire Gloss" is great stuff too.

Zaino Bros

I just placed my second order last week. Unfortunatley you must print out the order form and send a check via snail mail. I recieved my first order via UPS within a week.

This time I'm going to try the ZFX quick cure additive. The downside is that it does take 24 hrs for the polish Z2 and Z5 to cure so you can only apply one coat per day without the additive.

Also get some Micro Fiber towels they are much better for quick detailing and wiping off polish than cotton towels.
PakShak has good prices and fast service.

Last edited by ALBPM; 01-06-2003 at 07:06 AM.
Old 01-06-2003, 07:18 AM
Contributing Member

OMG, just reading all of Bob' post there has scared me into just letting the paint swirls stay:cry: . I have a black 4Runner and there are swirls EVERYWHERE, the whole truck seems to be one big swirl. I really don't want to shell out 80-100 bucks for a wax system. I cant't afford that on a college income, just the 4Runner and doing a few mods here and there are enough o wipe me out pretty well(and then on the side I have the ultimate expense, a girlfriend ).

Is there any better way to get rid of all those swirls either than taking 24 hrs to wax and then apply another coat or what not?

Also, I offroad as often as I can (being 2WD and all, I try to prove myself alot with my Jeep buds and do a good job) but I know that the mud, slush, and dust can not be good for the paint at all. If I get this Zaino stuff and get all the swirls out will they be right back after a wheel'n trip or will the mud and allruin the wax coats at all?

Sorry I know I have alot of questions but I have a confict wit a nice looking(Shiny Runner) and an off-road (mud drinched Runner) I really want the swirls gone and so I ask. Thanks guys.
Old 01-06-2003, 07:22 AM
Contributing Member

Back to the original questions..........

I just used a Clay Magic bar for the first time. So, before claying wash vehicle with Dawn dish washing liquid use a soft wash mit and dry the vehicle.

The clay bar should be kinda tacky and stick to your hand but be careful if you drop it it's Toast...

Spray the area ~2x2 ft and work with light pressure in a circular motion. Use just enough QD so the clay doesn't rub off and stick to the surface. Every now and then fold the clay to expose an unused side so you don't scratch the paint . After you are done wash with Dawn again.

Removing swirls by hand is going to be tough.... I think Maguires makes a Cleaner/Swirl remover that can be used by hand. Other than that most require an orbital or rotary machine for application.

We still need to know what color your runner is to deal with the swirls.
Old 01-06-2003, 08:19 AM

Originally posted by Stump1883
OMG, just reading all of Bob' post there has scared me into just letting the paint swirls stay:cry: . I have a black 4Runner and there are swirls EVERYWHERE, the whole truck seems to be one big swirl. I really don't want to shell out 80-100 bucks for a wax system. I cant't afford that on a college income, just the 4Runner and doing a few mods here and there are enough o wipe me out pretty well(and then on the side I have the ultimate expense, a girlfriend ).

I am sooo understanding your situation! I'm in the same vehicle as you. (metaphor) Anyways, if i were gonna dish out that much on a wax system, i'd go all out and buy the Corey Cable Special Edition! (i'll never sleep again) j/k.

Originally posted by ALBPM
We still need to know what color your runner is to deal with the swirls.
My inhereted runner is ummmmmm red. LoL Let's see, not candy apple, not burgandy. I'll just post a pic.
Old 01-06-2003, 08:22 AM

oOoo Meguiars for $10. Now that's a college buy.
Old 01-06-2003, 09:31 AM
Contributing Member

Hi pinoy,

If that is a metalic red you will also have a clear coat on it. So, be sure that any cleaner/swirl remover is clear coat safe.
Old 01-06-2003, 10:01 AM

Originally posted by ALBPM
If that is a metalic red you will also have a clear coat on it. So, be sure that any cleaner/swirl remover is clear coat safe.
Just got one. Meguiar's Scratch X.
Old 01-06-2003, 10:22 AM
Contributing Member

That should work by hand, just do small areas at a time.

It is a mild polish that requires you to work the product until it breaks down. It is not used like a wax. You need to work it until the product dries out and you actually remove it.

It may take several applications for the same area. I wouldn't expect it to remove any deep scratches especially by hand.

Good luck you're in for a workout
Old 01-06-2003, 01:47 PM

OMG!!!!! So i'm working on the scratch remover when BAM! I run down into my basement and find my dad's car waxer. No Bonnet. I guess i'll go dish out some more for those today and just go at it tomorrow. Now... How do i use this rotating thing?
Old 01-06-2003, 02:34 PM
Contributing Member

BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!! We've created another Polish Monster :eek:

What kind of polisher is it???????
Old 01-06-2003, 07:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
guys,

i've gone down the cheap route that you guys are talking about. swirl x hand polish = sucks. more abrasive polishes = bad. bought the corey cable = better results but still not good enough. bought the zainos stuff and extremely pleased after one day.

so lets do the math. i probably spent about $40-50 on a wide variety of polishes, waxes, etc. another $120 for the corey cable. another $30 on polishing pads. total = $200.

zaino was $100 to start.

trust me guys, zaino is good stuff. theres nothing wrong w/ the corey cable and misc polishes, but on the dark colors, zaino rocks.

bob
Old 01-06-2003, 08:38 PM
Contributing Member

The Corey Cable comes in handy to get rid of swirl marks and scratches. It's very effective with the 3M Swirl Mark Remover. I have a Pearl Gold and a White vehicle and still love Zaino's stuff.
Plus the Z6 Gloss Enhancer is great after washes. It gets rid of any water spots and makes the paint glow.
Old 01-07-2003, 08:28 AM

Cool

zaino was $100 to start.
I tallied the Z1, Z2, Z5, & Z6 and it came to $67.75(including shipping). What else did you use that made it $100? Also now that you are a Zaino Vet, do you deem all those extras absolutely necessary or can they be put off until a later date? This is all gonna be put on a black runner, and the only other polish applied to my knowledge was at the dealership...last January!

Thanks,
Outkast`
Old 01-07-2003, 08:41 AM

I have gotten many, many battle scars from this past outing. I'm hoping the griots stuff will take most of it out. Can you purchase Zaino's from any local retailer or do you have to buy it online only?
Old 01-07-2003, 08:51 AM
Contributing Member

Hey Outkast`,

That's good for starters. You will need to wait about 24 hrs between coats so that the polymer cures (cross links) properly for the Z5 and the Z2.

Maybe later if you like it and get used to using the Zaino stuff get the ZFX additive to speed up the cure time.

I can see spending the $100 if you get the Tire Gloss , leather Treatment , etc.....

data,

You have to print out the online order form and snail mail a check or money order to Zaino . It takes about a week from the day I mail my check to recieve my orders.

Last edited by ALBPM; 01-07-2003 at 08:54 AM.
Old 01-30-2003, 03:39 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Looks killer.
It really brings out the black good.
Old 01-30-2003, 09:04 PM
Contributing Member

That looks Great!!!!!

I finally got some of the ZFX so I could put up to 3 coats on in a day. It's amazing because I mixed up a 2 ounce bottle of Z2 and 8 drops of ZFX and it was enough to put 2 coats on my Runner and 3 coats on the hood of the wife's Pre-Runner. I used the PC and 3M SMR on the Taco's hood first and removed most of the swirls and scratches from the Dealers detail job.

What ever happened to pinoy???????
Old 03-02-2003, 09:32 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Corey Cables rock

Quick Reply: waxing by hand tips?