Maintenance & Repair Archives Note: This section will be merged in with the other tech areas soon, and is now closed

water Pump write up?

Old 04-11-2005, 07:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
water Pump write up?

Anyone know where there is a writeup on replacing the water pump on a 2nd gen ( '91 ) 3.0?

Also, after i am done i know the system needs to be burped and there are different ways of doing it....what is the best way to burp the system?
Old 04-11-2005, 07:26 PM

this isn't for the water pump, but covers much of the same ground

http://www.off-road.com/toyota/tech/v6tbelt/index.html

the timing belt needs to come off while doing the pump, so it's a no-brainer to put on a new one. i'm doing this same repair, i'll post some pics when i get started, but that might be a week or so.
Old 04-11-2005, 07:51 PM

thanks fatdudesurfin. Question is the water pump in any way attached to the timing bely or willt it be easaier than the write up you linked me to? this belt still has over 40k left on it before it needs to be replaced.
Old 04-11-2005, 07:54 PM
Contributing Member

the t-belt runs the water pump
Old 04-11-2005, 07:57 PM

Yeah thanks dudebud...I think i just found my answer:

I guess i am just a little leery of removing the timing belt. Gotta know your limitations and i think i have reached my mechanical talent apex. hehehe

Replaced the lower hose today and removed the housing to replace the thermo gasket...glad i didn't put the new thermo in it cause the old one still works and will do it when i get the nerve to tackle this job. lol

Last edited by ctcost; 04-11-2005 at 07:59 PM.
Old 04-22-2005, 03:42 AM

Well got all that done with the help of a good friend. That water pump is a PITA...The two Qs that come to mind are 1) whatever happened to mounting it on the outside like a good "old" american V8? and what happened to the day when you could actually camp out inside the engine bay?

Thanks for the pointers guys!
Old 04-22-2005, 08:33 AM

I just helped a buddy on his 89 truck w/ 3VZE. MAKE SURE THAT YOU USE A WRENCH ON THE RIGHT CAM (passenger side) TO HOLD SLACK OUT OF THE BELT AS YOU TIGHTEN THE TENSIONER PULLY DOWN. We failed to do that the first time and it started and ran perfectly we shut it down and started it after EVERYTHING was back in place, and the right cam had slipped one tooth! It ran, but was a little rough and obviously not right. The last time we tore it down we made sure that the slack was out of the belt between the two cams by rotating the right cam counter-clockwise enough to get the slack out on the drive side of the belt. 'glad to have learned that lesson, 'cause we're doing the timing belt on mine next week!
Old 04-23-2005, 06:38 AM

Yeah kinda funny Longshot...we found this one was off a tooth when we took it off...guy that installed he engine must have messed up...runs great now though. Hope all goes smooth on yours man!
Old 06-15-2005, 06:58 PM

Water Pump Question

OK,

I'm in the middle of replacing my engine and am putting on a new water pump. Now as I've been taking off parts from my old engine I've been very careful on paying attention to how things go, placing things in bags marked up, using zip ties to hold things together in correct placement. Well, I took off my water pump not noticing that there are different length bolts. Anyone know which ones go where?

Any help would be appreciated!!
Steve
Old 06-15-2005, 07:00 PM

One other thing. I'm talking about a water pump for a v6 3vze engine (just to clarify). Perhaps someone is replacing their timing belt and can see. There are (3) larger bolts that have washers (one of them is attached to the tension bracket so I know where that one goes. Finding the other two's placement would be very helpful

Steve
Old 06-15-2005, 10:50 PM

i finished up doin my t-belt a while back, and dont have any pictures of it that would be helpful

BUT i know for sure that one longer bolt goes in the highest, most vertical slot of the pump. i tried putting a shorter one in there and just ended up stripping it when torquing it to spec.
Old 06-16-2005, 08:25 AM

Water Pump Bolts figured out

I think I got it figured out. I knew the one that had the small tension bracket went in the third hole up from the lower idler tension pulley. After looking at the block I noticed there were two holes that had what looked like metal nipples that stood out and the actual threads were further back in the block. I tried the longer bolts and they went in just fine which only left the last 4 bolts.

Unless I'm incorrect everything seemed to go together fine.

One thing I think I'm going to try and do is take good pictures as I'm putting this thing back together. May be able to help someone else with silly questions like this.

Steve
Old 06-16-2005, 08:33 AM

Camshaft Bolt Removal

OK,

I got the camshaft sprockets off from my old blown 3vze engine with the help of this board. Anyway, I have to put them on my new engine and the mechanic I purchased it from put the bolts back in (minus sprockets) and he put them in pretty tight. Any ideas on removing them without messing up the camshafts? I called him and he said on the camshaft there is some sort of a bolt (15/16" or 1-1/6") that is kinda built into the camshaft and I should be able to put a socket or wrench to stop the cams from turning. Is this a good idea? Any other safer ideas? I don't want to have to replace the cams. The only thing I have on the outer part is the nub with the little metal piece that fits into the cam sprocket and I'm afraid of breaking that off.

Steve
Old 06-16-2005, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by ctcost
whatever happened to mounting it on the outside like a good "old" american V8?
shoulda got a 22RE.