Maintenance & Repair Archives Note: This section will be merged in with the other tech areas soon, and is now closed

vibraaaattttioonnn

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2005, 07:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
vibraaaattttioonnn

my 91 4runner auto vibrates like crazy (vertically/up-down) when im on stop, with my brakes pressed and the gear is on drive just like when youre in a stop light. But as soon as i shift it to neutral, the vibration stops... any idea what causing this? thanks guys.250k kilometers on the truck odometer.
Old 06-04-2005, 06:31 PM

my 89 runner does the same. I thought maybe the motor mounts. Just a guess. I've got 215k miles on mine. My whole dash rattles and it drives me nuts. What's the deal?
Old 06-08-2005, 06:17 AM

I have a 2000 sr5 4runner, 2wd. I'm having terrible vibration when I'm driving it down the road. It's starts as soon as I'm excelerating and seem to get worse, especially between 40-50mph. It has 89500 miles on it and the brakes have never been replaced. There has been no squeaking , etc.

I've read things like it might be the u-joints or possibly warped rotors.

Any suggestions as to what is causing this vibration? It's very annoying. The steering wheel and entire front end is vibrating.

Thanks,
Yoda
Old 06-09-2005, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Yoda67
I have a 2000 sr5 4runner, 2wd. I'm having terrible vibration when I'm driving it down the road. It's starts as soon as I'm excelerating and seem to get worse, especially between 40-50mph. It has 89500 miles on it and the brakes have never been replaced. There has been no squeaking , etc.

I've read things like it might be the u-joints or possibly warped rotors.

Any suggestions as to what is causing this vibration? It's very annoying. The steering wheel and entire front end is vibrating.

Thanks,
Yoda
i'm guessing your drive shaft is out of balance or also could be out of alignment spec. If I were you, I'll get your tires balance first. If that don't solve the problem, take it to the dealer and have them re-align your drive shaft.
Old 06-13-2005, 05:10 AM

my 89 4runner auto shakes rattles and almost rolls under the same conditions. When I'm stopped at a light in D , but when I shift to N it idles perfectly.

I did replace the engine mounts and also adjusted the idle speed but it still kept vibrating and when shifting to N it would idle higher. I returned the idle back to what it was since I didn't notice any improvement.

Good luck,

Last edited by gcinque; 06-13-2005 at 05:11 AM.
Old 06-14-2005, 06:49 AM

Vibration

I'd take a look at the drive shaft, especially the universals &/or yokes &/or mounting flanges.

I had a vibration problem after a little trip off road in the Georgian clay through a forest area where I, apparently, encountered one too many tree trunks & boulder sized chunks of marble(one or two being large enough to catch my drive shaft on...note to self...drive shafts are NOT sliders!).

I was'nt able to actually see the damage until I had gotten the rig up on a lift & was then able to wiggle the shaft around, but I could definitely feel it on the road that is, unless I was in neutral.

Good luck!