Maintenance & Repair Archives Note: This section will be merged in with the other tech areas soon, and is now closed

Torsion Bar BOLT replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2005, 05:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Torsion Bar BOLT replacement

If the torsion bar bolt is removed, will the torsion bar remain in place and allow for easy installation of the new bolt....or is it going to wing all out of place.

I read the threads about adjusting torsion bars, and have found the the top nut on one of my torsion bars turns when the bolt is turned... i believe this indiacates that the bot should be replaced.

Should i replace both Torsion bar bolts or just the one that is supposedly fuxed up?

CH
Old 04-28-2005, 08:47 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
If you undo the adjuster bolts there shouldn't be any tension on the bars so they won't fly out. The anchor arm on the back might come off but it only fits on one way so it will be easy to put back.
As for one or both, if the bolts are cheap enough I would do both, chances are the other one is just as rusty.
Old 04-28-2005, 09:14 AM
Banned

why do you beleive that the bolt is messed up if the nut turns? that happens, you dont wnat it siezed to the bolt..... there are 2 nuts on top of the adjuster and they are supposed to lock the otehr one in place.... it acts as a locknut to each other.....
Old 04-28-2005, 03:35 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by jimabena74
why do you beleive that the bolt is messed up if the nut turns? that happens, you dont wnat it siezed to the bolt..... there are 2 nuts on top of the adjuster and they are supposed to lock the otehr one in place.... it acts as a locknut to each other.....
some rigs only had one nut on the bolt. hehe i have a story my buddy has a 84 lowrider long box well he needed a t- bar for it so we went up to a junk yard close by where we live. This place they loved to use the torch well they wouldent let us pull it so the idiot gets out the torch and starts cutting the nut off not the smartest thing to do. the bolt went flying took out a window in a car close by and stuck in the seat. he sat there and wondering why that happend
Old 04-28-2005, 04:10 PM
Banned

ah, so it is siezed then...... i was comparing it to my 4x2, both sides had 2 nuts each.... i also was comparing the 89 4x2 i got my anchor arms off of, they also had a total of 4 nuts......