YotaTech Forums  

Go Back   YotaTech Forums > Toyota SUV & Truck Tech > Maintenance & Repair Archives
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Maintenance & Repair Archives Note: This section will be merged in with the other tech areas soon, and is now closed

Welcome to Yotatech!
Welcome to Yotatech,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-16-2005, 09:37 AM   #1
Personal Sales Rating: (0)

Sealing a leaky oil drain plug

Wow! I just changed the oil on my Celica and this drain plug is LEaking big time. There is a huge puddle under my car. I tightened it down too. The threads shouldn't be stripped. I didn't go that hard. WHat is the best way to seal these things? teflon tape? Blue loc-tite?

Suggestions?
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Yotatech!

Old 06-16-2005, 09:45 AM   #2

might just try a new gasket/washer from the dealer...cost a buck or two.

they are deformable metal, so, theoretically, you should use a new one everytime (since the metal is supposed to deform to match the irregularities of the two surfaces), but, in reality, usually you can get away with just reusing them many times...but, eventually they do wear out.
Old 06-16-2005, 09:51 AM   #3
Contributing Member

Send a message via AIM to MTL_4runner
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota
might just try a new gasket/washer from the dealer...cost a buck or two.

they are deformable metal, so, theoretically, you should use a new one everytime (since the metal is supposed to deform to match the irregularities of the two surfaces), but, in reality, usually you can get away with just reusing them many times...but, eventually they do wear out.
Ditto, I bet the washer is toast.....new one should solve that problem (you might be giving the car a oil flush this time).

1996 4Runner SR5 4X4 Auto

Deckplate Mod, Hayden Tranny Cooler, Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift

Best OBD II scan tool I have used!.

.....and I am AMERICAN!
Old 06-16-2005, 09:51 AM   #4

I've been a lot happier with copper washers. They're available at most auto parts stores and usually stocked with filters or oil. I believe the brand that Pep Boys carries is 'Oil Tite'. Anyway, I like the copper ones because they don't crush as easily and leak. Just my experience.
Old 06-16-2005, 10:13 AM   #5
Threadstarter [OP]

cool I'll go get a new washer with my new 5 quarts of oil...damn!!!

hopefully autozone or kragen has one. The one on there now looks like black plastic

Old 06-16-2005, 10:31 AM   #6
Contributing Member

Send a message via AIM to MTL_4runner
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathrunner
The one on there now looks like black plastic
When you pull it off I bet you will see it was cracked in half (engine heat will do that to plastic or nylon washers). If you can I would either get a copper or aluminum washer because they can be crushed a few times before needing replacement and won't crack like rubber or nylon will when exposed to high heat.

1996 4Runner SR5 4X4 Auto

Deckplate Mod, Hayden Tranny Cooler, Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift

Best OBD II scan tool I have used!.

.....and I am AMERICAN!

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 06-16-2005 at 10:32 AM.
Old 06-16-2005, 02:27 PM   #7
Nic

You can even make one if you have to. I have made them out of things like a plastic quart oil bottle. Just cut it out to fit over the drain plug. They will last at least an oil change or two (maybe more) before you have to make another one.

1997 Tacoma 4X4 Xtra Cab 2.7L 5 speed
Old 06-16-2005, 03:22 PM   #8
Contributing Member

Sounds like drain plug gasket to me. My WRX had a crush gasket that I replaced on every oil change. Something like that maybe?
Old 06-16-2005, 03:59 PM   #9

Yeah, those fibrous "crush" washers seem to work pretty good from my experiences with various cars.
Old 06-17-2005, 03:55 AM   #10

Location: Far western Kentucky (transplanted from central PA)
Send a message via AIM to Rick F. Send a message via Yahoo to Rick F.
And, of course, be sure both surfaces of the washer, the mating surface of the oil pan and the threads on the plug are clean. It doesn't take much grime or grit to prevent a good seal.
'00 SR5, Desert Dune: 4" Deckplate, Amsoil TS-115, Bilsteins, Brembo rotors w/Performance Friction pads, Fiam Highway Blasters, Sylvania Silverstars, Hella Micro DE Fog Lights w/Hella Yellow Star Lamps - SOLD 1/24/09

'08 Sport, Salsa Red: Hella Optilux fogs, Silverstar Ultra Hi beams. Pending: Borla dual catback, CAI, shocks
Old 06-17-2005, 03:55 AM
Yotatech
4WD Truck

Paid Advertisement

Tags
4runner, auto, car, crush, drain, fj40, leaking, leaky, oil, oiltite, pan, plug, plugs, repairing, tite, toyota, washers