Maintenance & Repair Archives Note: This section will be merged in with the other tech areas soon, and is now closed

Rear drum brake questions.

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2005, 05:47 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rear drum brake questions.

I tried to search and it is not working, keep getting an error message. It seems to be getting worse and worse. I used search a few times the other day and it stopped working and I can't even use it today. This post speaks of it https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...030#post599030

I want to try and get my rear brakes done before the rain moves in.
I did the front brakes yesterday and now I would like to adjust and inspect and maybe replace the rear drums.
Problem is, I can't get the drum off no matter how much I bang it. Any hints?
Over a half hour of banging and the locals aren't happy.

Also, I recall reading something about a "star" or a rubber plug on the back of something where I can adjust the brakes with a flathead screwdriver. Does anyone know what I am trying to get at here? I can yank up on the parking brake and it does not do a great job stopping the truck.

I need some hints,tips and tricks and a miracle. Can you provide me with any of these?

Last edited by 4-RUNNIN' FREAK; 05-06-2005 at 06:07 AM.
Old 05-06-2005, 06:16 AM
WT

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The star thing behind the rubebr boot is what is used to adjust the tension of the pads against the rear drum it only turns one way freely to tighten but be carefully how tight you get it, There is also a metal plate looking thing that the star wheel runs against (clicking you hear as you tighten it) that is what you have to push away from it if you need to back off tension. I am sure if you put your head back there you will see what I am talking about a flashlight does help. Oh the rubber oval boot is located at the top of the rear drum you should see it from behind. As for a stuck drum use some penetrating oil around the hub chances are its rusted there and stuck but I usually use a rubber mallet as to not cause any damage to the drum, You should also see a threeded hole or 2 on the face of the drum that you can put a bolt into to help push the drum out from the hub. Sounds like the drums just stuck since you said there no tension on it so you shouldn't have to loosen the adjustment star to remove the drum since you said the teh hand brake too loose to hold it for you now.
Old 05-06-2005, 06:17 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 4-RUNNIN' FREAK
I tried to search and it is not working, keep getting an error message. It seems to be getting worse and worse. I used search a few times the other day and it stopped working and I can't even use it today. This post speaks of it https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...030#post599030

I want to try and get my rear brakes done before the rain moves in.
I did the front brakes yesterday and now I would like to adjust and inspect and maybe replace the rear drums.
Problem is, I can't get the drum off no matter how much I bang it. Any hints?
Over a half hour of banging and the locals aren't happy.

Also, I recall reading something about a "star" or a rubber plug on the back of something where I can adjust the brakes with a flathead screwdriver. Does anyone know what I am trying to get at here? I can yank up on the parking brake and it does not do a great job stopping the truck.

I need some hints,tips and tricks and a miracle. Can you provide me with any of these?
Here is a link to a 1993 Toyota truck service manual. The braking section
should be the same principle for your rear drums.
I hope it helps

http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...fsm/index.html
Old 05-06-2005, 06:24 AM
Contributing Member

WT, I already saw that rubber piece in the back. I'll go try again.
I am gonna look at the link Doc posted.

Thanks a lot fellas. Much appreciation for the help.
Old 05-06-2005, 06:59 AM

On the drum it self there are to threaded holes, in not sure of the size or thread pitch off hand. But you find 2 bolts that thread in there and screw them through the holes. Once they start to hit the back plate, turn them evenly and it will press the drum off the shoes. I couldn't get mine off either till I tried this.

Last edited by ARB4STUNNA; 05-06-2005 at 07:01 AM.
Old 05-06-2005, 07:29 AM

HEAT. use a propane torch and heat the drum and than spray with PB blaster, Bash with hammer and repeat.

Worked for me.
Old 05-06-2005, 08:18 AM
Contributing Member

I had to beat the living snot out of the drums with a hammer. No dents in them suprisingly.

On one of the rear brakes on the passenger side, it is worn more on the bottom part of the shoe than the top. What does that mean?
Thanks guys for instilling some confidence in me about mods and maintenance. I really didn't want to mess with brakes and put my and my passengers lives on the line, but I feel confident.

That is my main reason not to do a lot of stuff, cause I hate when I break something when I run short on temperament or whatnot, but feel more and more inclined to do stuff. I work well with my hands, but the truck is new and all, and I don't wanna break stuff.

Thanks YT members
Old 05-06-2005, 08:21 AM
Contributing Member

Way to go man ! That is how you learn !
When you break stuff - that is also a learning experience - not to do that again.
Hint - don't buy cheap tools either - your hands will thank you.
Old 05-06-2005, 09:56 AM
WT

I say it sounds like its just been out of adjustment for a while thats why the uneven wear. If you plan of replacing them do it now but if there is plenty of life left in them let it ride and just adjust them to be slightly dragging on the drum and then see how your hand brake feels and go for a test ride. Glad to see you stuck with it and got it off. Heck think Im still on my same rear pads since I bought mine and there still doing fine since 80% give or take of your braking is done with the fronts not the rears.
Old 05-06-2005, 10:37 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Doc279
Way to go man ! That is how you learn !
When you break stuff - that is also a learning experience - not to do that again.
Hint - don't buy cheap tools either - your hands will thank you.
I hate breaking stuff thats not broken. Nothing was wrong with my Yota, but I "fixed" it a lot.

I know the cheap tools idea. I have my pops stuff I use. I use http://www.skhandtool.com/ and Snap-On.
My knuckles stull hurt when I wash my hands from doing the front pads.
Old 05-06-2005, 07:15 PM
Contributing Member

4Runners, Trucks, & SUVs (20 Viewing)
Discussion which relates to Toyota 4Runners, trucks or SUVs.
This includes mods and tech questions which are mainly geared for street & daily driving

Wasn't this a "Tech Question geared for street and daily driving"? but was bumped here???
Why am I still confused about thread placement?
Old 05-07-2005, 06:36 AM
Contributing Member

Forgot to ask this yesterday, but is there a grease (zerk) fitting on the drum brakes?

I found that rubber piece to adjust the brakes and there is also another one on the top but it is round and not oval, and when you pop it off, it looks like you can fit a grease gun tip right on there.

I thought
grease
+Brakes
________
No brakes
Old 05-07-2005, 12:32 PM
WT

Originally Posted by 4-RUNNIN' FREAK
Forgot to ask this yesterday, but is there a grease (zerk) fitting on the drum brakes?

I found that rubber piece to adjust the brakes and there is also another one on the top but it is round and not oval, and when you pop it off, it looks like you can fit a grease gun tip right on there.

I thought
grease
+Brakes
________
No brakes
I going to guess your looking at the bleeder screw for the rear drums, but hard to say for sure without a picture. Mine had a black plastic cap on them from the factory.