Maintenance & Repair Archives Note: This section will be merged in with the other tech areas soon, and is now closed

Napa air filters

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2003, 06:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Napa air filters

My nearest parts store ia a "Napa" and I'm not a big fan of there products but the next nearest one (Auto Zone)is 30 miles and the Toyota dealer is 52 miles. Anyway, i decided to change my air filter and i bought one at "Napa" . The truck runs fine and i plan on changing it once a month in the summer.
The things I've heard about K&N don't impress me for the price you pay .
As long as you keep the filter clean does it really matter what make it is? It gets a little dusty on these back roads in the summer when there's no rain but other than that i don't think there should be any problems. That's why i will change it once a month in the summer and maybe every two months in the winter.
Thanks for any openions you may want to share .
My truck is an 2001 ,SR5 ext cab. 4x4 ,2.7L stepside with 16" Good Year Tracker tires and i do a lot of off road driving. Mike
Old 07-13-2003, 04:39 PM

NAPA Filters

In think NAPA filters are as good or better than anybody's.
I use NAPA gold oil filter for my '03 4Runner, and will use their
air filter when due for change.

IMHO

GARY
Old 07-13-2003, 05:00 PM

Filters

Gary, Thanks for the reply. They seem to work fine for me . Mike
Old 07-14-2003, 08:15 AM
Contributing Member

filters

Hey, looks like we've got the same truck! I use a K&N, I've never had problems. Most folks here seem to really dislike K&N, and encourage Amsoil for a higher performance filter. I think it comes down to personal preference. Most internet research that I have done is advertising based, so the results always reflect the type of filter they are selling! Very biased! But this site is informative, http://www.mcagraphix.com/filter/test.htm

Like I said, I use my K&N and have an Amsoil for backup. I think basically that paper filters best, but oiled gauze (K&N) allows the best air flow. So it depends on what you're interested in.
Old 07-14-2003, 05:12 PM

Filter info

Thanks for the link and all the great info on air filters. It looks to me like if you keep them clean most will do the job just fine. Thanks, Mike
Old 07-18-2003, 06:32 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I once worked in a speed shop and we had our own (kinda crude) test gear for filters because we were curious too. What it boiled down to was that overall, K&N and similar-type filters (AEM, Airaid, etc.) strike a good balance between flow and fitration. It's personal choice. You want filtration? Use a stock-type filter (despite what these companies claim, I don't believe these free-flowing filters filter as well). You want power? Use a free-flow type. Plain and simple.
Old 07-18-2003, 06:38 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by truckmike26
What it boiled down to was that overall, K&N and similar-type filters (AEM, Airaid, etc.) strike a good balance between flow and fitration.

Every AEM CAI I have ever owned has had a K&N on it. But, maybe that's what you were saying. Sorry if I misunderstood.
Old 07-20-2003, 05:41 PM
Contributing Member

Another alternative, call Connicelli and have a filter sent to your door. I buy almost all my parts from them. Good guys.

http://www.partznet.com/