Maintenance & Repair Archives Note: This section will be merged in with the other tech areas soon, and is now closed

leaking coolant, passes pressure test

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2004, 08:56 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
leaking coolant, passes pressure test

my truck is leaking antifreeze. I noticed about 3 weeks ago that I had no heat when the truck was just idling, even with the engine completely warm. Once I gave it some gas, it would start blowing hot air. I checked the coolant level and the overfill reservoir was below the "L" level. I took it to the dealer for an oil change last week and told them about my problem. They did a pressure test which came out fine, so they just topped it off and sent me on my way. The heat worked great after that, but the outside temp was no longer -20F! I checked the coolant level after my dealer visit and the overfill reservoir was halfway between the fill lines. Then engine was warm. Now less than a week later, the level is back down to below "L". I can see in all my regular parking places where I have peed pink antifreeze onto the ground. I take it in again on Friday for another look, but does anyone else have any suggestions or comments? Thanks. Ed
Old 01-15-2004, 11:22 AM
Contributing Member

So you DID see where the coolant is leaking out? If that is the case then just take it to a mechanic and tell them there is a coolant leak and have them patch it up, maybe I misunderstood but it sounds like you know there is a leak SOMEWHERE in the system.

Just my cents...

Fink
Old 01-15-2004, 11:52 AM
Contributing Member

I don't actually see where the leak is coming from, I just see coolant on the ground beneath the engine where I park. Just today I parked in a new spot over some snow and left it idle for about 10 minutes. when I came back, there was a few fresh pink drops beneath the passenger side near the front. Now I don't think that is where it is exactly leaking, but that is where it trickles down to before dropping to the ground. The truck is basically brand new and still under warranty, so I'm letting them deal with it.
Old 01-15-2004, 02:49 PM
Contributing Member

I hear ya about the warranty thing...make them deal with it!

Sounds like its not gonna be that big of a deal, as in not a fast leak.

Let us know though man,

Fink
Old 01-15-2004, 04:54 PM

From the sounds of your post, you seem to have an external leak rather than an internal leak.

I would refer to the internal leak inside the engine comporment. If you're leaking anti-freeze inside the engine, then it's huge problem.

An external leak shouldn't be too much of a problem. You may have a leak somewhere along a hose or something.
Old 01-15-2004, 07:49 PM
Contributing Member

I agree with KING...hopefully, and from the sounds of your post it does sound more like an external leak. But he's right, if you have an internal leak....eek

Fink
Old 01-16-2004, 07:16 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by 4x4Fink
I agree with KING...hopefully, and from the sounds of your post it does sound more like an external leak. But he's right, if you have an internal leak....eek

Fink
If I had an internal leak, would that mean I am burning my coolant away and not leaking it onto the ground? because I see obvious pools of coolant in all my usual parking spots. Man, you guys have me worried that my 4 month old engine is shot. My old 2.7L never had any issues for the 3 years I owned it.

One more thing (I mentioned this in a previous related thread), I had an engine block heater installed during my first oil change. That was in Oct. or Nov. Could my coolant leak be related to that? I know that the heater replaces an engine coolant jacket plug or something like that, right?
Old 01-16-2004, 07:33 AM

I'm willing to bet that's where you're leaking at. The heater replaces one of your freeze plugs on the engine block so you're correct. To verify it, just follow the cord for your heater to the block and run the engine.
Old 01-16-2004, 08:11 AM

Yes, you would be burning your anti-freeze if you were to be having an internal leak.

If you're that you're seeing pools on the ground of anti-freeze, I wouldn't be too worried as it is a sign of an external leak.

Do what ARNOLD said, you may find the leak that way.
Old 01-16-2004, 02:37 PM
Contributing Member

update

I just got the truck back, it is not fixed. But I talked with the head mechanic and got the scoop. When they installed the engine block heater, a mechanic knocked out the wrong freeze plug. He then used an inferior plug to replace it, and that is the plug that is leaking. The block heater was installed in the correct location, the mechanic just knocked out the wrong one first or something. So a genuine toyota plug is on order and will be in next week. Total cost to me is $0.

The guy I talked to on the phone was the same one who installed the block heater, and he led me to believe that the plug was "just leaking for some reason". The head mechanic is a friend of mine, so he gave me the true story of what happened. He gave me some extra coolant to take with me so I can fill up if needed. In the meantime I've just got to watch my coolant level.

Last edited by ewarnerusa; 01-16-2004 at 02:39 PM.
Old 01-23-2004, 07:39 AM
Contributing Member

update 1/23/04

UPDATE 1/23/04
They didn't get to my truck yesterday, so they gave me a loaner courtesy of Toyota Motor Company. I'm rallying a 4 cyl Camry, sweet. It has some pep, but I'm definitely not a car person. I miss my truck....