Maintenance & Repair Archives Note: This section will be merged in with the other tech areas soon, and is now closed

How to check Tacoma ball joints for wear?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2005, 05:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to check Tacoma ball joints for wear?

Hi all, I was going to leave this message on the sticky thread about the recall, but noticed that kindergarten was in session there, so perhaps we can keep this one to the point...since lives are possibly at stake.

At any rate, our Tacoma has a VIN number within the range of the recall, and it has all they symptoms (noise, steering effort, poor return to center). Is there any way I can check the ball joint for wear?

Thanks for any help.
Old 05-22-2005, 05:43 PM
Nic

If it is on the recall list, take it to the dealership and Toyota should fix it for free.
Old 05-22-2005, 05:47 PM

The recall list may no be out yet. Jack up the front of the vehicle by the frame, enough to get the tires off the ground. Grab the tire with both hands and move it around back and forth, top and bottom. If you have alot of play then your ball joint is probaly toast
Old 05-22-2005, 05:49 PM

That's my eventual plan, but I'm guessing I have to wait for my official letter before they'll fix it? I'll call them tomorrow and find out, but knowing how dealers work, I'll bet they'll say "bring it down when you get the letter."

In the meantime, it's my wife's daily driver for a long commute on a 4-lane with tons of traffic, and a front suspension failure could kill her, so I'm wondering if there is a way to check the ball joint and see how far gone it is? If I can see that it's worn, that give me some ammo when I talk to the dealer.

'best, loudawg
Old 05-22-2005, 06:01 PM

Cool, I'll go outside right now and test. Thanks!
Old 05-22-2005, 06:41 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by loudawg88
Hi all, I was going to leave this message on the sticky thread about the recall, but noticed that kindergarten was in session there, so perhaps we can keep this one to the point...since lives are possibly at stake.
doh!! so sorry about that....

like mentioned, jack it up and grab the tire and try to move it around. Compare the driver and passenger. Since you are looking for lower ball joint problem then try to push and pull the bottom of the tire. There shouldnt be any movement and it should not make a clicking noise. Also a worn ball joint will "pop" going over bumps. Sometimes viberations at high speeds. Before a ball joint breaks you'll experience loud popping, viberation, uneven tire wear. You'll can experience these problems for years before it will break (unless you offroad)...

most likely if you dont offroad or do anything severe you wont feel anything. but its still a good idea to have the recall done regardless, of course.

I have yet to read about any fatal problems with the ball joints, or any beyond normal problems for that matter. I wouldnt worry about dying in an auto accident related to this problem.