Maintenance & Repair Archives Note: This section will be merged in with the other tech areas soon, and is now closed

Help please! 3VZ timing belt off one more notch with every motor revolution ???? !!!

Old 05-16-2005, 06:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help please! 3VZ timing belt off one more notch with every motor revolution ???? !!!

Trying to put the timing belt on the motor I am building. Seems simple enough - line up the crank pulley on the mark for #1 @ TDS, line up both cam pulleys on the marks, put the tensioner on and you're good. I do all that, then rotate the motor by hand and every full revolution of the belt makes the tick marks on the belt off one more tooth from where they started. Example - installed with marks lined up. After one revolution, marks on belt are off one tooth, after two, two marks, and it keeps growing like that. WTF is going on here? I literally took the belt on and off 10 times tonight and checked, recked, and checked it all again. I can't figure it out! Any help is VERY MUCH appreciated. I can't believe I wasted 8 whole hours on this today! Ahhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-16-2005, 06:44 PM

I did the same thing weeks ago but it didn't take 10 times to figure this one out.

check the timming on the crank and cams, they will come up perfect every time. the marks on the belts are for refrence only. what is important is that the cams and the crank are comming to tdc at the correct time... I will bet you $5 paypal that they are.
Old 05-16-2005, 07:02 PM

So your marks were moving too? The marks are there just for a first reference then? But both of my manuals tell me to rotate the motor twice and the timing marks should still be right on.......?????????? I sure want to get this taken care of while the motor is ont he stand and easy to work on, not in the vehicle.
Old 05-16-2005, 07:32 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
as long as the marks on the cams and crank line up with the marks on the engine itself, ignore the belt
Old 05-17-2005, 02:03 AM

Oh, okey dokey then. That's what I'll do I guess.
Old 05-17-2005, 11:41 PM

yup my marks on the belt moved to, however if you notice the marks on the cam and on the metal piece behind the cam wheel come up at the same time.

Old 05-20-2005, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by knaffie
Trying to put the timing belt on the motor I am building. Seems simple enough - line up the crank pulley on the mark for #1 @ TDS, line up both cam pulleys on the marks, put the tensioner on and you're good. I do all that, then rotate the motor by hand and every full revolution of the belt makes the tick marks on the belt off one more tooth from where they started. Example - installed with marks lined up. After one revolution, marks on belt are off one tooth, after two, two marks, and it keeps growing like that. WTF is going on here? I literally took the belt on and off 10 times tonight and checked, recked, and checked it all again. I can't figure it out! Any help is VERY MUCH appreciated. I can't believe I wasted 8 whole hours on this today! Ahhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!
Those marks on the belt are for initial alignment only. Once the belt and pulleys start turning, they mean nothing. As long as the marks on the pulleys stay in alignment with the crank timing mark, you are good to go.
Old 05-23-2005, 07:04 PM
Contributing Member

Same think happened to me. I just ignored the lines on the belt and just ligned up the cam and crank marks. It sure did confuse me at first though.

Have fun all.
Daniel