Maintenance & Repair Archives Note: This section will be merged in with the other tech areas soon, and is now closed

Coolant change, belt change help needed on 94 Toy Truck 4 cyl 2 wd

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2003, 01:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maintenance and lifting questions for 94 Toy truck, 2wd, 4 cyl...

I have a 1994 Toyota Truck, 2 wd, 4 cyl, 5 spd, air cond...

Can you tell me how to:

1. change the external belts, what type should I buy, where should I buy them...

2. change the coolant and replace with new coolant

or refer me to a web site that tells me how to do it?

3. which is the best manual to buy so I can try to do some of these things myself?

4. Where can I find what kind of maintenance should be done at what mileage? My truck has 70,000 miles and all I've done is oil changes, air filter change, and tranny and rear end fluid change. What should my priorities be for maintenance?

5. I tow a 5x8 trailer weighing 2,000lbs with with a 100lb tongue weight and the rear of my truck sits very low to the ground. What can I do to raise the rear of the truck so the hitch gets more ground clearance? And if I raise the back, how can I raise the front? I'm looking for just a few more inches of clearance.

Right now, with the trailer attached, if I measure from the bottom of the tailgate with it in the closed position to the ground, it measures 17". I did the same measurement on a new Tacoma and came up with 27". So you can see, I'm sitting fairly low from the weight of the trailer tongue, cab high camper shell and misc camping gear inside the truck bed.

6. Who makes the best rear bumper with a 2" reciever for towing, for a 2wd 94 truck, with the highest ground clearance?

7. What are some simple things I can do to get more horsepower from the motor?

8. Please add anything else you find helpful.

Thankyou

Last edited by BravestDog; 05-15-2003 at 02:31 PM.
Old 05-15-2003, 02:19 PM
Contributing Member

3 words for you...FSM

Factory Service Manual.

Belts: Get OEM belts, there are internet wholesalers who sell genuine Toyota parts for a pretty good deal. They are really easy to replace yourself.

Coolant: The FSM will tell you every step. You will need a 5 gallon bucket, and some patience. Kind of a pain really. Disposing of the old coolant sucks, so its almost worth someone else doing it.

Have you done plugs and the cap and rotor?

Towing: You can add a leaf spring to each side of the rear, then crank up the torsion bars a little.

More power: I/H/E Intake Header Exhaust. That will get you started.
Old 05-16-2003, 10:11 AM
Banned

I just put in Kelly Springfield belts. I doubt Genuine Toyota belts could really be much better. Loosen the center nuts on the idler pulleys and loosen the adjuster nuts a lot till you can get the old belts off. On the alternator loosen the top nut and slide the alt. in toward the motor to get the belt off. Use belt dressing to give the belts better traction on the pulleys. To tighten the alt belt I wedged a piece of wood between the motor and alt. to get enought tension. After a few days it will need to be re tightened.

Turn the heater control all the way to hot. Open the drain cock on the radiator and drain it into a bucket as stated. Look at your hoses and replace if there is any doubt about their condition. If you are that far into it do the thermostat also, its cheap insurance.

Use DISTILLED water to dilute the antifreeze. Anything else like tap water will corrode your cooling system and clog your heater core. Then you will be in trouble.

I use a Haynes manual because I don't have the cash for an FSM. Sometimes FSMs are on e-bay pretty cheap though.

Tune up with valve adjustment, grease the driveshaft and balljoints. At 90,000 or so you need to replace timing chain. With frequent oil changes and quality gas that motor will run forever. Bad gas will foul your oxygen sensor.

Air helper springs. Pump them up when towing, deflate them some when not. They are pretty cheap also.

A local competent welding and fab shop.

Supra motor swap. Just kidding. Amsoil filter. 2.25" Catback exhaust.