YotaTech Forums  

Go Back   YotaTech Forums > Toyota SUV & Truck Tech > Maintenance & Repair Archives
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Maintenance & Repair Archives Note: This section will be merged in with the other tech areas soon, and is now closed

Welcome to Yotatech!
Welcome to Yotatech,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-11-2002, 08:22 AM   #1
Contributing Member
Personal Sales Rating: (0)

Send a message via AIM to UKMyers
Brakes pulling to one side

Whenever I hit the brakes lately the truck wants to pull to the left. It seems to have steadily been getting worse. Any ideas what causes this? My pads seem to be good and the rotors are in decent shape. I haven't done any brake work since I have had this runner yet so not really familiar with the system. Any ideas would be appreciated though. Thanks!
Joey
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Yotatech!
Quote:
...why does my IFS have no flex, and what can I do to make it flex???
Old 08-11-2002, 10:36 AM   #2

It could be a bad brake hose or a caliper sticking.
Old 08-21-2002, 05:55 PM   #3

Re: Brakes pulling to one side

Quote:
Originally posted by UKMyers
Whenever I hit the brakes lately the truck wants to pull to the left. It seems to have steadily been getting worse. Any ideas what causes this? My pads seem to be good and the rotors are in decent shape. I haven't done any brake work since I have had this runner yet so not really familiar with the system. Any ideas would be appreciated though. Thanks!
Joey
I'd suspect a stuck caliper on the opposite site, Trucks and 4Runners use a fixed caliper. so I'd suspect a piston seized, look for uneven pad wear. If the pull is only initially upon braking, then is straightens out, its a worn steering component.

2010 Ram 2500 Cummins 6 spd
2003 Toyota Highlander 4WD
2006 Toyota Tercel 2DR
2007 KTM 105SX
2007 KTM 85SX 19/16
2006 KTM 300XC-W
2002 Yamaha TTR 125L
2002 Kawasaki KLR650
2002 Suzuki Eiger 400 4WD
Licensed "Amateur Extra" Class Ham Radio Operator
Old 08-23-2002, 03:03 AM   #4

Joey , it is real easy to get at the front pads all you need to do is whip the wheel off and the pads are in a swinging frame that is held in place by a small pin at the bottom, after removing the locking pin lift the frame up and give it all a good clean stick a new set of pads in and see how it goes.

best of luck
mark

1990 Hilux Surf 2.4 turbo diesel
Japanese import
(2nd gen 4runner)
Old 09-03-2002, 11:55 AM   #5
Contributing Member
Threadstarter [OP]

Send a message via AIM to UKMyers
UPDATE: Found out it was much simplier than I thought. Turns out last time I was wheeling I had aired down and somehow or another got some dirt lodged inside the rim. It had caused a very slow leak. When I went to go home from work the other day I thought hmm that tire looks low so I checked the pressure and it was down to 12 PSI!! No wonder it was pulling under braking. I can't believe it wasn't pulling worse and highway speeds. Anyways after a trip down to the tire shop to have the rim scraped clean and the tire remounted it's all back to normal now
Quote:
...why does my IFS have no flex, and what can I do to make it flex???
Old 09-03-2002, 11:55 AM
Yotatech
4WD Truck

Paid Advertisement

Tags
1st, 4runner, brake, brakes, changing, drivers, front, gen, left, piston, pull, pulling, pulls, side, stuck, truck, tundra