Maintenance & Repair Archives Note: This section will be merged in with the other tech areas soon, and is now closed

Big Trouble!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2005, 07:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Big Trouble!!!!

Ok (22re)so my timming chain has been slapping like crazy for a month now take valve cover off and check guides every thing looks fine(did the chain last year) guides in good shape, so ask around and someone suggests to check my oil pressure, it has been low for about a month now that he mentioned it I just didnt pay attention. Figure my oil pump could have a problem so I take it appart, seems fine so then I figure maybe my tentioner is defective, so I pull that apart put new one in and proceed to install everthing, well here is where the trouble starts. Timming cover is on and im tightening the bolt in the head at the front, well dont I here a pop, so I examine every thing and discover that I pinched the head gasket and probably just cracket my head but wont find out if anything leaks till i start it. The front of the head gasket is screwed, I dont have the time or money to replace the head gasket does anyone have any suggestions or tips for me to get this back together with out leaks. Please!!
Old 06-26-2005, 07:10 PM
Banned

if you tore the head gasket... you need to replace it... if you cracked the head, its going to leak something and cause oterh damage.... i have seen services that supposedly fix a blown head gasket chemically without removing the head, but i have never tried it and the so called process sounds fishy to me..... i dont see how you could have pinched anything there.... if it was a pop, sure it jsut want the chain settling or something like that?

bottom line: if you destroyed the head gasket and/or cracked the head, there is nothing you can do to fix it other than replacement
Old 06-26-2005, 07:31 PM

When I slid the timming cover back in between the head and the oil pan thats when it cought the front part of the head gasket, this part of it will only have oil pressure from the chain as opposed to the rest of the gasket. I was hoping that I am not the only Idiot to have done this and maybe there is a way to get around it.
Old 06-26-2005, 08:09 PM

This is a common problem, you have nothing to worry about. What popped was the timing cover. The hidden bolt was torqued too high and it made a crack in the timing cover's boss where that bolt goes into. This only occurs when a it is torqued past the rec'd value. Since this boss is now cracked you just need to make sure it doesn't leak. Put some gasket maker on the crack to be safe. You'll need to get some gasket maker between the timing cover, head gasket, and the head now if you want it to seal. If you want to fix it right you'll need a new timing cover, head gasket, and a torque wrench. But, if it doesn't leak then you have nothing to worry about.