Maintenance & Repair Archives Note: This section will be merged in with the other tech areas soon, and is now closed

An alternate way of flushing the automatic transmission...comments please..

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2004, 11:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool An alternate way of flushing the automatic transmission...comments please..

Hi guys,

Great forum!

I want to flush my 98 4runner's tranny.

It's the V6 engine...

I've read all the instructions on here, but after buying 16 or so quarts of Amsoil ATF (Gasp!) I don't like the idea of draining the pan, removing the pan to clean the filter, inspect for ?, and then refilling ....only to take off the tranny cooler lines and while pouring new fluid in, pumping out 15 or so quarts....

Can't I do it in reverse?

Check it out...Do the flush. Then drain the fluid in a very clean bucket to be reused.

Why does the tranny pan has to come off anyhow?

and finally....

Does one of the cooler lines have "suction"?

If so, couldn't I take two Homer buckets (5gal) and fill one with new ATF and let it suck it up? What goes out, must come in. No?

Please respond ASAP as I want to do this TONIGHT.

Thanks in advance!

Morten
Old 05-19-2004, 11:52 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, the purpose of dropping the pan is to see if there is a lot of junk accumulating on the filter screen. If so, then generally people advise not to do a flush as this will expedite a tranny failure. On his website, Gadget advises to just save up for a new tranny at that point.

No, there is no suction in the tranny line so you can't suck up new fluid.

If you haven't already, check out www.gadgetonline.com.
Old 05-19-2004, 12:08 PM

OK, after reading it again that brings up another question: Where do I find a shop who uses the "inlet methoed" which is what I want/need after 80K. My fluid looks good BTW.

Toyota doesn't know what I'm talking about and neither does Big O. I'd really rather do it myself, that way it's done right...can't I rigg up a fluid pump that would do just that. I have a perfectly good spa circ pump that I could play with. Where to I get the connectors that go on the tranny?

I'm imagining I could do it out of schedule 40 irrigation pipe splitting the output in two, one to the tranny and another to "return" with ball valves on both...that way I could adjust the pressure infinately. Coming off the hard pipe would be a garden hose with the correct fittings.

No? Am I crazy?
Old 05-19-2004, 12:23 PM

Might work, but the regular flush method isn't too bad. Did mine a couple months ago, just needed a big 5 gal bucket, and some time to start the car, stop the car, and refill...

I would be sure to check the return hose routing (assuming you're trying to hook up a pump to the return hose), and make sure it goes where you want. The main thing to look out for is to keep the pump supplied with fluid - if your method does that, it would probably work. However, you HAVE to make sure the pressures are the same as the stock pump, otherwise you'll be breaking seals and possibly blowing gunk into the transmission...
Old 05-19-2004, 12:32 PM

OK, I DID think about that, but I was going to err on the low side, but you're right...very dangerous proposition.

OK, by doing it the Amsoil way, do I really need a new filter? My dealer informs me that he's, according to the computer, has NEVER sold a filter, even though it DOES have one....

Can I just clean it...Isn't it just a metal strainer? I just need to know because I'm leaving for the Toyota dealer later today...

Thanks
Old 05-19-2004, 12:38 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah, you just clean it, shouldn't have to replace it.
Old 05-19-2004, 01:16 PM

Thanks a lot! I means a lot.
Old 05-19-2004, 01:27 PM

IT means a lot...