Maintenance & Repair Archives Note: This section will be merged in with the other tech areas soon, and is now closed

Airbags gone-What about my airbag light

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2004, 07:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airbags gone-What about my airbag light

My 4-runner was wrecked a few months ago and the airbags blew. I've made all repairs except airbags. I plan on installing dummy airbag covers rather than spending 3 G's on new airbags. Before I can re-register it, I'll have to get it inspected by the DMV. Does anyone know how I can get rid of the airbag light? Can I just remove the bulb? I've heard of people installing a resistor in place of the airbag module. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tim
Old 08-03-2004, 09:58 PM

Tim,

I am adverse in cheating saftey inspections but, understand your position. Removing the air bag indicator light won't help. If the inspector doesn't see it illuminate during a test then the vehcile will fail. Most saftey inspector's have seen alot of stuff so be for warned.

The SRS circuit energized at all times.

Here's a wire diagram of the SRS system; click me
Old 08-03-2004, 10:14 PM
Contributing Member

Are you just re-registering or are you EVER going to sell the truck.
Think about the person buying the truck.
How would you like to buy a truck and find out the bags were not there?
How would you like to find out the hard way?

Last edited by SkyRat; 08-03-2004 at 10:18 PM.
Old 08-04-2004, 04:18 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wrecking yard, ebay, etc won't cost you $3k.

Which bags blew (driver and pass? or does it have sides too), and what is the vehicle?
Old 08-04-2004, 12:00 PM

96 4runner
Old 08-05-2004, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by amusement
Tim,

I am adverse in cheating saftey inspections but, understand your position. Removing the air bag indicator light won't help. If the inspector doesn't see it illuminate during a test then the vehcile will fail. Most saftey inspector's have seen alot of stuff so be for warned.

The SRS circuit energized at all times.

Here's a wire diagram of the SRS system; click me
Sorry if I came across as trying to cheat the system. I'm just trying to get rid of the light. I'm well aware that the inspector can check the light by turning the key.
Old 08-05-2004, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by SkyRat
Are you just re-registering or are you EVER going to sell the truck.
Think about the person buying the truck.
How would you like to buy a truck and find out the bags were not there?
How would you like to find out the hard way?
Yes I'm re-registering it and No I don't plan on selling it. If I ever did sell it, I would absolutely disclose that there's no airbags.
If I could get an aftermarket steering wheel, I would. I'm not trying to hide the fact that I have no airbags.
What about people who install custom steering wheels? Does anyone know if it's illegal to remove/disable your own airbags? I still wear a seatbelt.
Old 08-05-2004, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Yoda
Wrecking yard, ebay, etc won't cost you $3k.

Which bags blew (driver and pass? or does it have sides too), and what is the vehicle?
I found airbags on e-bay for about $500. I did some research on installing airbags and it basically said..."Installing airbags is a complex job and requires expensive test equipment" I guess after you factor in the cost of labor and the extreme liability involved with installing airbags which could kill someone if they deployed accidentally or be blamed for someone's death if they didn't deploy in an accident, it could become very expensive.
I don't understand why I have to have airbags. My vehicle is no more unsafe than any other car without airbags.
Old 08-06-2004, 03:14 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by TCON
What about people who install custom steering wheels? Does anyone know if it's illegal to remove/disable your own airbags?

Yes,it's illegal if the car came equipped from the factory with them and is a federal offense to remove them and if you are ever in a wreck and your insurance agent/police did an inspection/report and found no airbags you could be liable and your insurance might not cover your wreck if you were at fault. IMO you should install the airbags and possible save you alot more trouble and money in the future if the unfortunate happens.

Custom steering wheels? Well,you take the same chance unless you can find custom ones that are airbag equipped.

Last edited by X-AWDriver; 08-06-2004 at 03:15 AM.
Old 08-06-2004, 08:25 AM

Re-affirming what X-AWDriver reported.
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/airbags/

Air bag covers
http://www.hicksairbagcovers.com/index.php
Old 08-07-2004, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by X-AWDriver
Yes,it's illegal if the car came equipped from the factory with them and is a federal offense to remove them and if you are ever in a wreck and your insurance agent/police did an inspection/report and found no airbags you could be liable and your insurance might not cover your wreck if you were at fault. IMO you should install the airbags and possible save you alot more trouble and money in the future if the unfortunate happens.

Custom steering wheels? Well,you take the same chance unless you can find custom ones that are airbag equipped.
A federal offense to remove airbags?? They're blown. I had no choice but to remove them.
I would agree that it should be illegal to sell a vehicle without disclosing that the airbags are removed.
What do airbags have to do with my liability in an accident. Airbags are for my own protection. They don't affect the safety of anyone else.
Why does my insurance company ask me if I have airbags if they already know my vehicle has them?
Why do I get a discount on my insurance for having airbags? So, if I remove them, I don't get the discount. Right?
So I guess everyone with a post 1990 vehicle who installs an aftermarket steering wheel is a fellon.
Just a few thoughts. I guess if it's the law, I have no choice.
Read the part about "Are airbag covers legal?" http://www.hicksairbagcovers.com/faq.php#legal
Tim

Last edited by TCON; 08-07-2004 at 08:50 PM.
Old 08-07-2004, 10:27 PM

I have reviewed NTSB and DOT rules posted under 49 CFR Part 578, 579 and 595. There is no mention of not replacing "blown" air bags as a law. NTSB provides numerous examples of statistics supporting an airbag save lives.

Further, I have reviewed virginia vehicle saftey inspection doesn't not mention airbags.
http://www.vsp.state.va.us/safety.ht...fety%20Program

In short, based on what I have read, an airbag cover over the steering wheel would pass the saftey inspection and would not violate any federal law. I wouldn't believe either until I tried to fine the law, rule or even a freak'in suggestion by NTSB. There is a database at NTSB that lists vehicles that have their airbags disabled.
Old 08-08-2004, 04:19 AM
Contributing Member

Greetings,
Airbags and belts save lives, simply put. Air bags deploy from frontal and near frontal (45 degree offset mostly) collisions at about a 15-20 mile per hour change in velocity depending on manufacturer. Most people don't realize the amount of energy that is created during a crash. If you like, you can compute the energy values using the old kinetic energy formula
ke=.5mv Squared. You'd be surprised at the energy levels and realize how important the belts and bags are. Wearing the belts and having airbags raises the survival threshold of a crash significantly probably near 25%.

So lets forget about you selling the vehicle and lets get back to YOU surviving (I hope it never happens) your next crash. I'm also thinking here you don't have collision insurance otherwise they would gladly pay. Also, if you don't replace them, you need to notify your insurance carrier sine they will probably raise your rates for not having the bags
Old 08-08-2004, 07:16 PM

Amusement,
Thanks for the info. I would think something as common as deployed airbags would be better publicized as common knowledge if it were law. Just my opinion.

MvCrash,
I'm fully aware of the hazards involved in a collision and understand your point. I appreciate your concern. I would be taking the same risk if I were driving a car that didn't come with airbags. Are people who drive vehicles not equipped with airbags taking an excessive risk? What's the difference?

I recently read an article about airbags giving people a false sense of security and thus resulting in an increase in reckless driving. I would tend to drive more carefully without the additional safety of a seatbelt or an airbag for that matter.

Tim
Old 08-08-2004, 08:41 PM

Personally, I would install airbags even if it was more than 3k. To me, my life is more important than any money. After all, I can always earn money going forward, but I'll never be able to get my health or even my life back.

-- Andrey
Old 08-09-2004, 03:06 PM

I'm glad everyone's so concerned with my safety. Does anyone have a spare $3,000 lying around?
Would anyone be as concerned if I were driving a non-airbag-equipped 4-Runner? They're not built any differently so how is mine so unsafe without airbags?
I'm sorry for beating the dead horse. I just don't see the difference.

Again, I thank you for your concern.

Tim
Old 08-09-2004, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by TCON
I'm glad everyone's so concerned with my safety. Does anyone have a spare $3,000 lying around?
Would anyone be as concerned if I were driving a non-airbag-equipped 4-Runner? They're not built any differently so how is mine so unsafe without airbags?
I'm sorry for beating the dead horse. I just don't see the difference.

Again, I thank you for your concern.

Tim
The difference is when accident happens. Who do you think has a better chance of surviving, the air-bag or non-aribag equipped vehicle? Think about it, really!

-- Andrey
Old 08-09-2004, 03:27 PM
Contributing Member

Well...
it seems obvious to me that no matter what everyone says, this guy has made up his mind.

If it's not illegal to fail to replace a deployed airbag - why would it be an issue to have the airbag light when you go for inspection? If it isn't then why not just go for inspection with bulb out/fuse removed/whatever?
Don't get me wrong - despite the difference of opinion you and I may have with airbags, I'm just curious. I'm not flaming ya
Old 08-09-2004, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Tacoma Dude
Well...
it seems obvious to me that no matter what everyone says, this guy has made up his mind.

If it's not illegal to fail to replace a deployed airbag - why would it be an issue to have the airbag light when you go for inspection? If it isn't then why not just go for inspection with bulb out/fuse removed/whatever?
Don't get me wrong - despite the difference of opinion you and I may have with airbags, I'm just curious. I'm not flaming ya
I just want to make sure I'm doing everything legally. Not trying to circumvent the system or be unsafe. I simply don't have the money. As soon as I'm sure about the state laws, I'll be able to make a decision.
I commute to work on my motorcycle rain or shine so I'm kind of pressed for time. (Winter will be here soon)

ps--My motorcycle doesn't have an airbag. Not very safe in the rain.
Old 08-09-2004, 10:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Take out the gauge cluster and splice into the leads for say... the check engine light which turns on when you start up the car and hook them up to the airbag light. That would be the easiest way without having a wiring diagram or using circuits.

Quick Reply: Airbags gone-What about my airbag light