Maintenance & Repair Archives Note: This section will be merged in with the other tech areas soon, and is now closed

20R, 21R, 22R Engine coolant drain plug question (Long read..main question at bottom)

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2003, 01:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 20R, 21R, 22R Engine coolant drain plug question (Long read..main question at bottom)

I have a 21R In my 80 4x4. Im hoping for a nice happy answer, but I dont think I will get one:cry:

First a little history on this thing.
I bought this truck all tore down for 500 bucks from a friends friend. It was two differant colors, baby ˟˟˟˟˟ brown and piss yellow. I sanded it all down and primerd it gray.
As I started putting this truck together I noticed that the transmission and transfer case were the wrong year...it was to long. After calling around to several differant wrecking yards I came to the conclusion that I wasnt going to fork over 1000 bucks for a used tranny, plus Im aware that the early 5spds are weak. So I went ahead and welded my tranny crossmember back a few inches, took my drivelines in and had the rear shortend and the front lenthend.

Ok, problems solved right...LOL, hell no.
As I got everything together I noticed I didnt have the following:
Dash lights, fuel gauge, oil pressure gauge, tach, and heater.
After taking a closer look, I noticed I had a burnt wire coming out of the fuse box...o happy-joy
I took the dash out un-wraped the wiring harness and discovered that the wire cooked itself to a couple other wires and made a big ass mess. I cut out all the bad wire, re wired it and every thing works now.

Ok...The road test and the current problem.
I can make it about one block and the thing starts to over heat. Now there was a lot of rust in the radiator so I took it out and flushed it. I did this the other day prior to starting it up. I also replaced the thermostat.
With it over heating now, I decided that the whole system should be flushed. I opened up the engine drain plug on the left side othe the block and nothing comes out. What would cause this?
The radiator is full and the heater blows super hot air.

I would like to get this on the road. I have a lot of time and money into my toy and I cant turn back now.
Thanks
Old 08-16-2003, 09:03 AM

did you try and turn the engine over a couple times to see if mabey that unblocked whatever is blocking it?i would try that i guess, i dont know if it will work and someone correct me if im wrong..and is it possible that you have a headgasket leak? not sure but mine would always overheat and that was part of the problem.... im not sure though about no water or coolant out of the drain plug, its proably just plugged up, mabey prod a something in there(small screwdriver or something)

good luck and wish i could be of more help.
wade
Old 08-16-2003, 10:17 AM

Ya, I ran it for a litle bit with the drain plug off....it didnt help.

It doesnt overheat when I let it sit and idle though. I bought some coolant system flush and let it idle for about an hour last night. It got dark and I was tired, so I didnt pull the plug to see if that fixed it.

I have a buddy that has a 77 Celica with a 20R. The body is falling off of the engine. He said I could have it...so maybe Ill do a poor mans rebuild on it and toss it in my truck.

Old 08-16-2003, 10:56 AM

i would

wade
Old 08-16-2003, 12:51 PM

Well I drove it for about a half hour and it didnt overheat, it came close though. That cleaner stuff I put in the radiator probably broke some of the junk up that was in the cooling system.

After I got it home I felt the radiator all over and it was cool to the touch...all but the top couple of inches. It is probably plugged up...full of rust. They did let the truck sit for three years with just water in it.
Old 08-16-2003, 01:58 PM

uh...if i were you i would have the radiator replaced, and see about a new water pump just in case.....

ever though of the taurus fan upgrade?

later
wade