Engine Swaps Swapping an engine in your Toy, here is where to learn how

Are you happy with your swap?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 05:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm unsure about the performance of the 4.3 but my 7m has more than enough power for what I do. My favorite thing is actually being able to pass people on the highway now. The two engines have similar horsepower but the 4.3 has more torque. I guess it depends what you want and what's available. A V6 would be an easier fit I think. Also I should mention I get 22MPG driving the snot out of it.
Old 05-27-2014, 05:54 PM

I can post some gm 4.3 pictures if you want . A friend of mine thats a toyota mechanic has had both gm 4.3 and a toy 3.4. He says overall their both good motors. The 4.3 is more low to middle power which works well with an auto , the 3.4 rev's better and works well with a stick . Not that you would have to have that combo. also the 3.4 is smog obd2 which is a little harder to pass. The 4.3 fits nicely like a stock motor same as 3.4.
I have no idea what the 7mge is like. Another thing you need to think about is, does a swap make sense money wise. With all the $$ I've spent i could have bought a 3rd gen 4runner with a 3.4 . When i did my swap i rebuilt everything. Engine and trans. But i wanted a 2nd gen 4runner , so if i roll mine i could pick up another not running for a few hundred and swap everything onto it.

Last edited by james92toy; 05-27-2014 at 05:56 PM.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a 7mgte. You said post what you like about it right? I love having a turbo. For wheeling it would be nice to have a higher compression ratio but it still has more idle torque than a 22re. I like racing full size diesels and keeping up. I like the fuel economy (my record is 30 mpg, I can consistently see mid 20s highway). I like not having to downshift. I like not needing boost to pull %90 of hills. I LOVE having something different. I like being able to push myself into my seat when I down shift and floor it to pass at highway speed. I like seeing the occasional persons head turn when they hear the turbo when shifting. It is now part of my life mission to embarass 4 banger hondas with tinted windows, shiny rims and lots of stickers. I like how theres so much aftermarket support that it keeps my dreams going for upgrades.

the downfalls. its toyota so factory parts are expensive. The parts store never has the part you need. Heck I'm lucky if its in Canada. you spend lots of money because you realize if you buy this bolt on part you can get a bit more power...and repeat. Its terrifying to see your speedo maxed on 35" mud tires but the truck is still pulling hard with one more gear to go...or so I've heard... . I'm on transmission #3, read above about pulling hills in 5th gear. I don't like the amount of electronic stuff thats under the hood. With water up to the door handles stuff gets wet and the engine won't run.

Last edited by nothingbetter; 05-27-2014 at 08:43 PM.
Old 05-28-2014, 10:40 AM

I'm really liking the 7mge/te. Looks like they were in both the Supras and Cressida. I have IFS, so I would need the Cressida oil pan. Looking at donor cars, Cressida is least expensive. Did they put the 7mggte in the Cressida? Plus it might be an easier initial swap. Thanks for the enthusiastic replies!
Old 05-28-2014, 04:21 PM

Last gen Cressidas only came with 7MGE and they only came auto. They have a different intake system compared to the Supra.(no ACIS) I'm not sure if the later ones had a little more power though. They came stock with larger injectors. Only about 20cc larger but still larger.
Old 05-29-2014, 06:35 AM

So here's my take on the 7mgte. I'm happy with the swap, I drive it every day. Its reliable, smooth, powerful, and I'm getting around 19 mpg. That said, I wouldn't do it again. Its a ton of work to do it right and get it dead reliable. For that same amount of work and for about the same price (with a 7m rebuild that almost all 7m motors out there really need), I'd rather have a nice V8 in there. 1UZ, LS, newer mustang V8, whatever... They're all great options and can put out some great power.

The 7m just doesn't make great power down low in the rpm range. Sure its MILES better than a 22r, but really just not in the same league as any modern v8. Idle to 3k rpm is where you'll spend 99% of the time in a truck, so why not get a motor that makes good power there? You can still make a v8 scream and bounce it off the rev limiter, that's fun too! Another thing to add, all the new v8's people are swapping in these days are much more modern designs than the 7m.

If you're just looking for an upgrade from the 22r and not looking for huge power, the 2RZ/3RZ is an excellent choice. Those motors fit in the engine compartment really well and you can beat the crap out of it while running your stock drivetrain and not worry about anything breaking. I'd say this is a much better option than a non-turbo 7mge, based on driving many 7mge's and tacomas with the 3RZ. Still, for all that work and money for all the random parts you're going to need, why not a V8???

Once you get a swap done and its running perfectly, you're not going to want to swap something else in, so this is quite a big decision. Take your time!
Old 05-29-2014, 08:59 PM

Thank you egges edder for your honest advice. I sense sincerity from experience, I will remember your words Still looking at options as I drive the motorcycle to work. I like my truck, but it's gutless and almost unusable on the highway. Thanks everyone! Rod
Old 05-30-2014, 04:52 AM

The more I think about it I am seriously considering not doing a 5vz for my 4runner. Even though I already bought a donor and pulled everything needed for the swap, which may be up for sale if I go another route. I already have a 3.4 swapped truck and it does what I want it to, but I could have just bought a taco or 3rd gen 4runner for a little more money. FWIW I am looking at the Chevy LS engines.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:29 AM

sledder has some good points. If you go the 7m route you'll need a headgasket at the minimum. but if its already out and on a stand you may as well change all the bearings and rings too. Newer engine designs are much better than 20 years go. You can now get an aluminum v8. That would save a fair bit of weight.

What are your import rules on importing a TT diesel from overseas thats used in the landcruisers?

Personally, I think the lower bottom end torque of the 7mgte is what saves drive line parts. Its the instant shock of torque of a v8 at low rpm that is going to break things faster. I can easilly bump my way along dry creek beds in low just idling or %3-4 throttle.

have you ever considered gm's 5 cly from the hummers? I always wanted to see someone do that.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:42 AM

I have the 5 cylinder in my Colorado, same as the hummers. I've seen one swapped into something else, unless you get one for a really good price I wouldn't do it. They have almost no aftermarket support. It's makes power way up in the RPM range for a truck, past 4k it pulls though.
Old 03-24-2016, 06:35 AM

From N.M.

I had a 22re in a 91 pick up, I put a 1uz from 94 Ls I love it, likes=the sound of a v8,smooth power and 200 fpt at 1k rpm, looks impressive with a massive engine that can rev, weighs 100 lb less than the 3.slow . A dream to drive now w/a/c cruising around and climbing a hill or in the deep sand.

Still have the IFS and 4" lift just waiting to get bigger tires

More to come

Not finished yet....
Old 03-24-2016, 10:05 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
that looks right at home in there. good job.
Old 04-11-2016, 07:02 PM

Mods to the firewall for camshaft tower and able to still have the A/C evaporator
Old 04-11-2016, 07:05 PM

Found some 33's and used rims
Old 04-17-2016, 08:05 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I love this thread with all the input, especially the turbos.
The 4.3 (TBI in this case) was an easy swap requiring minimal frame/body mods. Power was good (not great) but it was reliable.

I'm liking the LS1 a little bit better. Still working out the kinks but think I have it whipped. It took a lot to get it to fit without modifying the firewall and the power is adequate…

I'll report back toward the end of summer with a reliability report but think it will do just fine.