Engine Swaps Swapping an engine in your Toy, here is where to learn how

Turboing my 22R

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 06:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turboing my 22R

Hi everyone, since there is no na-t section in here, I figured this was the right place as parts are off an RTE.

I have all the intake and EFI stuff also, but I have decided I want to try it out with the carb first, and If I like it I will leave it that way.

when I first got it.
exterior has seen better days, but underneath and inside is solid and original.

See the puddle, it had a leaky oil pump gasket and the timing chain rattle and then the cover went, so I did a whole timing job on the truck with the metal guides and it runs stronger than ever so now its up for some boost.
It also got some much needed bodywork and a few coats of Plasti-dip to hold it over till I am done tying with it.

one n/a header gone.

One 22-rte manifold with Garrett t3/t4 turbo.
had to modily hardline for heater return hose.
had to unbolt the lower radiator hard pipe and move it a little out of the way of the drain spot.
hooked coolant lines into upper and lower radiator hoses.
drilled and tapped out the return fitting on the boss since its an 85 block.
oil feed is teed off the oil pressure sensor on the passenger side.
Mounted a 3" blow through carb hat (fits holley) using LCE Aisin to holley plate adapter.

This is how its sitting right now. Mounted a fuel pressure regulator near old fuel pump. found out I can only get 5 psi out of the stock fuel pump no matter what I seem to do, and it drops when it makes boost so I haven't been driving the truck.
I have an electric fuel pump that I am going to install, and then hopefully the regulator will let me dial it in for the carb and then it will be boost referenced.

I am hoping the stock carb can handle 6-7 pounds of boost. I have a wideband I still need to install so I can see how its doing, I don't really want to blow the motor so I will check the afr's before getting on in. From what I understood it runs pretty rich at wot so Ill see how rich.
From what I researched I capped the vac advance line closest to the motor. It seems to be better for boost now, but I may have to get one of those ignition boxes, or even worse install all the EFI stuff.

any comments/suggestions are welcome especially if anyone has any insight on any fuel tricks, I know there is some type of air fuel adjustment on these things but I was trying to figure out if that is just at idle or all across the board. if all across the board that would be perfect.

Last edited by 85Hilux; 12-10-2012 at 10:11 AM.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:22 PM

Nice swap! ive got a 87 factory turbo 4runner soon to see a t3/t4 turbo id like to see what kind of power you are producing once you get it all dialed in!
Old 12-10-2012, 10:16 AM

Thanks, it will be a little different because I am using a carb and also the 22R motor is a 9:1 compression motor vs the rte which is 7.5:1.
I won't be able to raise my boost crazy high, but I should net more power from the boost that I can run. I will keep you posted.
I have this weird feeling I may blow the headgasket, but that will just motivate me to go in there and swap it out for a MLS with some ARP head studs if the engine is running good otherwise, and then it will see much much more boost after that.

Also found out I can use weber main jets in place of the Aisin ones If I need more fuel, but there is some AFR adjustment on the stock carb as is so I am hoping for not having to open it up.
If it gives me more fuel drama past that I will just throw the EFI stuff on there cause I will already have the electric fuel pump and regulator on it, and I have some good injectors laying around from my 2jz-ge which are 330cc which should do very nicely with the rte ecu. Also I noticed that the lower runners make the starting of a nice custom Front facing intake manifold which is what I did to my 2jzge na-t. Yeah I slap a turbo on all my cars sooner or later, its a hobby I tell myself.

If I break 200hp on a reliable setup I will be pretty happy.

Last edited by 85Hilux; 12-10-2012 at 10:19 AM.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:26 AM

Dude! I have wanted to do this for a long time!!!!!
Nice write up.
I am switching to a weber 36 soon, then I want to do this.
I found a small turbo off of a diesel bobcat I think waysgated to 3.5psi.
Still need to get a 22ret manifold.

some other setups.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f115...up-22r-262033/
Old 12-17-2012, 04:33 PM

What fuel pressure reg are you using?
Old 12-18-2012, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by toastyjosh
Dude! I have wanted to do this for a long time!!!!!
Nice write up.
I am switching to a weber 36 soon, then I want to do this.
I found a small turbo off of a diesel bobcat I think waysgated to 3.5psi.
Still need to get a 22ret manifold.

some other setups.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f115...up-22r-262033/
Thanks for the link, that is an interesting build for sure.
Its really not that hard to do mechanically getting everything in it just takes time.
I installed the electric fuel pump and just have a universal regulator on it right now. got it down to 7 psi of fuel pressure which is the lowest it will go but the car seems to be handling that just fine, and now the pressure stays up with boost.

The real problem now is that turbo I got just starts to smoke a few minutes after starting it up. I guess it has been sitting for too long and I found some little oily sludge pieces flung all on the inside of my intake, so took everything off there and cleaned it.
I put an oil restrictor on the turbo, and its still smoking but not sure if its the old oil left in there that needs to burn of or it still had a problem.

In a little dilemma to pull it off and tear the turbo down for a thourough cleaning/rebuild, or just rev it up until it stops smoking, which if it doesnt may make it worse. I may need a new turbo which sucks after all the work I did everything else is working just perfect. ill get it sorted though, just don't have the time I used to to do these sort of projects so it will be slowly.

Originally Posted by Rollz79
What fuel pressure reg are you using?
just an ebay one, this is a budget build but so far the regulator seems to be working just fine with the electric fuel pump I can dial in the pressure but the lowest it goes is about 6-7 psi for me.
IF you have a holley which needs lower pressure you may need a better regulator which can go lower or to splice in a Tee from the feed back into the return to bleed some off.

I had difficulty finding a lower pressure carb regulator that had a boost reference, as most dont have the boost nipple on top. the ones that did were way too expensive for my 22r. those kind of parts go on my 2jz =)
Old 12-26-2012, 10:52 AM

I put it back to n/a for now, the turbo was smoking after I got the fuel sorted out and so it needs a rebuild or just a new turbo or maybe blowby. also going to do a compression check a little concerned about the pressure from the oil cap. Sort of don't have enough time and don't want to buy a new turbo right now, as the problem could still just be blowbly and then I would have 2 turbos I can't use.

In retrospect, everything is easy as cake to bolt on if you are familiar with na-t.
These motors are just picky about running any other way than stock it seems unless you do a full rebuild, and I am really debating swapping in a 7M or a 2jz or a 1uz later on since I have an electric fuel pump in there anyways now. we shall see when it gets warm again ill update, but for now I am sort of lost interest in the old 22r.
It did sound really mean though when It was running with the 2.5" open DP.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:32 PM

OK, some good news I finally figured out what kind of turbo I have and turns out its a real Garrett T3 .60/.48 turbo from a Merkur XR4ti, which will be real nice for the 22R.

I can get a t3 rebuild kit for one of these easy so I am going to do that, from research online it seems I need the 4 piece carbon seal kind of kit, so I will open up my turbo to confirm and get the rebuild kit in.

once its rebuilt I will put it back on the car with the fuel system just as it is right now because its working fine. If the turbo doesn't smoke anymore and the rebuild is successful I will go ahead and figure out the fuel pressure side which shouldn't be that hard.

Last edited by 85Hilux; 12-29-2012 at 08:33 PM.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:02 PM

The offending turbo. no shaft play, but seems there are signs of oil getting into the exhaust side, mostly the black oily stuff and all white smoke all over the place. compressor side is dry surprisingly. I will take that as a good sign it probably is just got cooked oil in there I will go through and clean it out during the rebuild.
Attached Thumbnails Turboing my 22R-photo-3-.jpg   Turboing my 22R-photo.jpg   Turboing my 22R-photo-1-.jpg