Engine Swaps Swapping an engine in your Toy, here is where to learn how

Time to swap engines. Opinions wanted!!

Old 09-05-2016, 04:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Time to swap engines. Opinions wanted!!

First off bear with me here. This is a long post I apologize for that but I try to be as informative as I can to answers most if not all questions up front. So here is the deal. I bought my first 22r Toyota pickup (1987)about 7-8 months ago and re did a ton of stuff on it to my liking. To be honest it was quite a piece when I bought it. The good things where cab mounts weren't rusted, frame was in good shape, and motor had 175psi across all 4 cylinders. Even tho it had no balls on 35s with stock gears (what more would u expect) the block had to have been rebuilt with that strong of compression. I sware every seal in this thing was leaking oil. I pulled the motor in hopes to give it more power and here is where I'm at.

i left cylinders, pistons, and bottom end bearings alone
offenhauser manifold
lce pro header
lce emissions block off kit
stock head just had it decked to make sure it was flat
machine shop lapped the valves and said everything was good
lce cam gear
engine builder 261 cam
engine builder front end kit/ hg/ head bolts
brand new weber 32/36
holley fpr set to 3psi
new cap and rotor
new plug wires
new ngk plugs
2.5 in exhaust with a flow master 40 series muffler
i also had g2 4.88 gears put in to comp for the 35s

cam timing is on with the help of engine builder(tod) and ignition is set to 5 deg with vac advanced closed and capped on the distributor side. I have tested vac advance on the dizzy and it's working. So I feel I have everything as good as it's going to get. I've read guys on here claiming 75-80mph with no problems with the 22r and bigger tires, that was my original goal but its not happening for me. if anyone has anything else for me to check or tricks please let know and i will gladly check it out to see if there is a reason I'm missing some top end power out of my 22r. kinda pissed me off because for what i have into this motor i could have done either of the swaps for the same if not less money!!!!

so here is my deal. I just got this done motor done and put back in last week. I took a trip to my cabin which is 55 minutes away. I could only get 70mph and that was pretty much floored the entire time. On the way back I was lucky to get 60-65mph cause I was in a bit of a head wind and anyone that knows Kansas can relate to our winds. Also note my ac wasn't hooked up yet which will b done within a couple days so that's gonna take some power away too...

Im not looking for a race truck by any means. She gets around just fine in town. I just wanna b able to cruise 80mph down the highway comfortably. Head wind or not and with the ac blasting lol

i have narrowed my choices down to two swaps. i want to stay with toyota motors. also let me add i have a 4" suspension lift and a 3" body lift so i have clearance for either choice no prob.
1) 5vze which are known to not b much of a power house themselves without the aid of a supercharger which I don't wanna have to do right off that bat. this seems to be the easier swap because id just have to find a t100 4x4 and id pretty much be set minus a few things from off road solutions.

2) 7mgte- kinda hanging onto this one because of the power it puts out in a stock form. arp head studs and a mls hg and id b good to go. hard part about this one is finding the misc parts to get it in my truck. i also do not want my radiator hanging outside my grill but i have noticed in some pics people have switched to electric fans and kept the radiator on the back side of the grill. its a tight fit but honestly either choice will be a pretty tight fit.

Id like for people with these swaps to chime in and give me some advice on how they like their swap etc. thanks and again sorry for the long post!
Old 09-05-2016, 04:23 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Something seems off on your rig. I have a 22re, 35s, and 4.88s I can do 75mph on interstate. Don't like to with flexy springs and no sway bars.
Old 09-05-2016, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by muddpigg
Something seems off on your rig. I have a 22re, 35s, and 4.88s I can do 75mph on interstate. Don't like to with flexy springs and no sway bars.
hmmmm I just don't know what could b off... I don't know what else to check honestly. Are u doing 75 comfortably or basically petal to the floor?? Engine builder said his truck which doesn't have half the parts mine does squats and accerlates pretty quick when he steps on it. Mine doesn't really do that lol makes more noise then moves
Old 09-05-2016, 06:53 PM

That's getting to all she's got, maybe 80 mph with a tail wind. Mine is no hotrod but moves pretty good. I like the idea of a 3rz don't see much more. I like over axle'd and under engine'd.

Did you do a compression check after head work?
Old 09-09-2016, 10:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't know why everyone thinks the 5vz is under powered. Granted 198hp ain't much, but my T100 gets up to 70 mph pretty quick for a half ton pickup. I put the headers on it for $300 and a K&N, not the cold air, and she goes good. Heck I walk away from the older f150's and their little 302's.
Not to mention they are practically bullet proof engines.
Old 09-11-2016, 10:55 AM

All depends on what you want your rig to do. For me the extra hp isn't worth the swap: change tranny, convert dual cases to 23 spline, plus body lift to avoid cutting hole in hood.

Maybe a 3rz swap when the newest 22re dies. With gears horsepower isn't as important as torque and reliability. Might look at if different is I was towing a load, lots of interstate driving, or was mud racing.
Old 09-11-2016, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by muddpigg
All depends on what you want your rig to do. For me the extra hp isn't worth the swap: change tranny, convert dual cases to 23 spline, plus body lift to avoid cutting hole in hood.

Maybe a 3rz swap when the newest 22re dies. With gears horsepower isn't as important as torque and reliability. Might look at if different is I was towing a load, lots of interstate driving, or was mud racing.
i do drive the highway a lot. I need to do a compression test on my motor since the head work was done but even then if I get 75 out of it I still won't be able to run tht with the ac on and or with a headwind alone. I'm not looking for a race truck. If I did the 5vze Id supercharge it or if I did then 7mgte I'd leave it stock. I already have 4.88 gears and as of now at 70 I'm at 3200rpm. So with a 5vze I'd have to swap trannys and idk what the hearing is like on the r150 iirc. With the 7mgte swap id still be using my w56 and that's rapping pretty high of u ask me. With a more powerful engine I'd like to be around the 2-2500 rpm to keep the mpgs up. I think either swap will cost me about the same in price.
Old 10-10-2016, 05:54 AM

I've Swapped many different engines. All different type of engines into different vehicles. V8s, 1jz, 7m , Mercedes diesels, VW diesels im always fabricating something. But if you ask me now what my most successful swap was i wouldn't say my 80mph tire burning 1j . I would say the 1.9 ALH vw Turbo diesel I put into my 2007 Xterra. Very strong Diesel great millage towed a 21ft camper 300 miles no problem. Although I do Have a Isuzu 4JG2 3.1 diesel with a mechanical pump I have paired to r150 I'm trying to sell. it was in titan. Obliviously the 6000lb truck killed the trans. It was my fathers truck and I told him the trans wouldn't last more than three years. I Lasted 4 though. Price of the engine includes installation PM me for details if interested. Im gonna have a forsale posting for it, but since im new i cant yet.