Engine Swaps Swapping an engine in your Toy, here is where to learn how

swapping my 83 to a vortec HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 12:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
swapping my 83 to a vortec HELP!!!

I have been considering swapping my yota to a vortec. A friend gave me a vortec and you dont just turn down free motors!!! I found a newer transmission and transfer case in a junk yard for about 450.00 I think that is reasonable. plus the junkyard had the conversion bell housing SCORE!!! I havent purchased anything yet. I guess I am wanting some opinions on what to do. This vortec is EFI and I like that. I guess what my concern is how much it will end up costing me. minus the bell housing and the tranny and transfer case. I need to put in a new cooling system obviously. Hoping you guys know a cheaper route than buy a new radiator. As well motor mounts and I have been told 2 inch body lift as well. Plus I hear I will need new headers. new clutch system. I guess what I am asking is for a guy on a budget what is the best advice you guys can give me. I will post some pictures of my yota soon It has come along way but it still has a long way to go.
Old 02-09-2016, 06:45 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
You mean 4.3 vortec?? Seems vortec was a head design used on several different GM motors.

It may be on the faqs on yotatech but I know it is on pirate faqs. I've never looked into the swap but I've never been given a motor either. Good searching!!
Old 02-09-2016, 07:58 PM

Throtle body or cpi ? I used a toy v6 radiator in my 1990 4runner swap. Had to get tricky with the hoses to fit cause the outlets are on the opposite sides. Stock gm exhaust manifolds worked but come really close to the frame and need a sharp bend in the tubing right away. Its hard to say how much it will cost . To many variables . Are you going to buy everything or make motor mounts , wiring harness , exhaust , cross member ......
Old 02-10-2016, 07:54 AM

to be honest I am not sure if its throttle body or cpi I have not even popped the hood. I thought I would go ahead and purchase the motormounts from northwest offroad. as well they do have the headers. The problem with them is they dont post pricing, you have to call and I dont like calling about every little detail. The radiator from the toyo v6 is a good Idea. I hear that keeping things cool can be tricky on these swaps. thats one reason why I am thinking of a 2 inch body lift. because I am a novice mechanic with friends that are good mechanics, I have a question about the timing on this. I am not sure what to do. Wiring harness I have no idea. Seeing as my truck is carburated. I figured I would pull all the electrical components from the chevy. What is the best way to get to the ignition? I am assuming there are people that do their own wiring. I dont think I am really capable. as well what is the correct way to get my tach wired back in. I am assuming the best way to get the gauges to work is to replace them? sorry for all the questions and If I sound like I dont really know what I am talking about its because I dont.
Old 02-10-2016, 06:33 PM

Find out what you have . If you can get the entire vehicle get it and don't throw away anything or cut stuff up that you might need later. Don't buy anything yet.
And " search 4.3 threads " Have you read any other 4.3 swaps ? Look in Domestic Swaps There are tons of info out there.
Old 03-16-2016, 06:49 AM

I'm currently in the middle of the same swap, my donor was a 2006 Chevy PU. I found edelbrock makes an intake to allow you to run a carb, and I also located a distributor to convert to HEI. I'm trying to eliminate most of the electrical issues associated with the swap. I have a 94 with a 3.0 and I will be running the 4.3 with a 700r4 My main area of concern is the oil pan clearance. I have a 4" lift, but the guys at Northwest say their conversion pans won't work on a 4.3 with the factory aluminum oil pan. Anyone have experience with that?