Engine Swaps Swapping an engine in your Toy, here is where to learn how

subaru powered yota?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 07:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
subaru powered yota?

Ok so I have my wrx and my 4runner, blew 3rd gear in the subi and drive the 4runner as my dd any ideas on how much work it would be to swap in my subi h4 into my runner? Its a pipe dream but I think it would be pretty effin badass
Old 03-31-2010, 07:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah it would be cool, and expensive...custom flywheel, custom bellhousing, if you cant weld, then add that into it, there would be a lot of cutting, wiring (all custom)

What year is the WRX
Old 03-31-2010, 07:11 PM

2003. The 4runners an 85. A buddy of mine said to hit up marlin crawlers maybe they could make an adapter plate for the trans. I've got a buddy that welds to motor mounts and that wouldn't be an issue
Old 03-31-2010, 07:20 PM

well I seriously doubt you can get this done cheap...marlin does not do custom adapters, you would have to have another plan. You would need all the wiring in the suby custom adapted into the toyota harness, the oil pan may not clear, and the engine may be too wide, you have to take into account of the flex from the solid axle...also if there is smog testing where you are I doubt you can get it to pass.

you would also need to weld bungs for 02 sensors in the exhaust, run the subaru catalytic converter, you would have to find a place for the intercooler (if its turbocharged). Not to mention the driveline modifications.

This is all the stuff that a know about subaru, im pretty sure there is more im missing, I dont know what all is different on subaru vs toyota.

It can be done...anything can be done with cubic amounts of money, but honestly I think it would be too much work and cost more than the subys transmission.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:30 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If your 4runner has the 22r its way more reliable than a... subaru.....
Old 03-31-2010, 07:42 PM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
To much trouble, besides who wants a Subayota, or a toyaru.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:45 PM

Ooooo Ooooo I DO!!!
Old 04-01-2010, 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by Teuf
This guy right here. I know they make custom harnesses for the ej20 because I've seen buggys and sail rails with the boxer engine. As far as the intercooler goes subarus are fitted with a top mount cooler so plumbing intercoolr pipe wouldn't be an issue. I figure the drive line would be the hardest part. Hey if they stuff 350's in these things why can't I fit a slightly wide 2.0 liter in it.
Old 04-01-2010, 05:05 AM

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm me

http://www.roadandtrack.com/future-c...u_sports_coupe
Old 04-01-2010, 07:13 AM

Also my wrx still drives, the wiring harness is complete as is my exhaust system. So I have everything needed for a swap minus the measurements and trans. And if there's a oil pan clearance issue I could fab the motor mounts up to raise the engine a few inches. And just cut a scoop in the hood for the intercooler. Think about it a 85 4runner with 260ft lbs of torque and around 270 hp. Can you say beast?
Old 04-01-2010, 07:19 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by GranVille-4crawler
Also my wrx still drives, the wiring harness is complete as is my exhaust system. So I have everything needed for a swap minus the measurements and trans. And if there's a oil pan clearance issue I could fab the motor mounts up to raise the engine a few inches. And just cut a scoop in the hood for the intercooler. Think about it a 85 4runner with 260ft lbs of torque and around 270 hp. Can you say beast?

270? Thought first gen WRXs had 227 out the factory door....is yours modded with a chip/intake/etc?

BTW, I love this idea - my brother had a WRX wagon and it was a hoot to drive!
Old 04-01-2010, 07:49 AM

Ha I think the real question should be who doesn't want one.

I say go for it. The power/sound would be awesome and it would be a blast to drive none the less.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by Philbert
270? Thought first gen WRXs had 227 out the factory door....is yours modded with a chip/intake/etc?

BTW, I love this idea - my brother had a WRX wagon and it was a hoot to drive!
Yeah its chipped to stage 2. Dyno numbers on my cobb tuner put me at 266hp. 258 tq, front mount cooler and full 3" exhaust from turbo back, intake and running 18psi. My new clutch let's me spin all 4 off the line. To bad 3rd gears gone so I can't do anything after a launch.
Old 04-01-2010, 03:50 PM

So noone knows a place that does adapter plates for the weird ideas like this? Ideas appreciated
Old 05-18-2010, 10:40 AM

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
I know this thread is a couple months old, but I just stumbled across it, and had to pitch in.

I spent much of this winter plotting on what to do about a motor in my 4runner. and being that I'm a huge subaru guy (most notably, crew chief for the Ziptie Rally Team), my first thought was a subaru motor. I started looking into using a 3.3l H6 from an SVX, as that would have the power (and TORQUE) I'm looking for. But, reality set in, and my fabrication skills and work space are not up to such a project. So....4.3 it is.

It is definitely possible. would take quite a bit of fabrication, but I think that's obvious.

a boxer is much wider than anything else you'd put in there, so the inner fenders would have to be....uh.....dealt with. good thing is, boxers are very short, so oil pan clearance wouldn't be an issue.

the engine would have to sit entirely up above the frame, which would probably mean a body lift would be necessary to get the needed firewall clearance.

There's a guy right now starting the process of making a Subaru EJ Engine to toyota W-series transmission bellhousing adapter. intended to get better gearing for the lifted subarus, but would work in your application too:
http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/...d.php?t=110400

I prep subaru wiring harnesses for swaps, and this would be a similar project. I've done many many subaru harnesses for sandrails and VWs. LMK if you're interested, best way to contact me is through my website. www.numbchuxconversions.com
Old 05-18-2010, 10:58 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Hmmmm interesting...I'm subscribing to see where this may go.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:07 AM

advanced adapters will make an adapter to fit any motor to any transmission, (they made a viper motor mate up to a supra tranny, and they also helped adapt the viper motor to the moto tranny..)

doooooo ittttttttt......
Old 05-18-2010, 11:10 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
x2, i dont expect much of it though.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:55 AM

Dark farytales... sleep on it son. its gonna happen. Numbchux thanks for the awesome info. This will probley all start coming together after october as I'm making a desert trip to moab/ oregon. I'm pumped. I thought this thread had died out and withit went my dream. I'll keep everyone posted once I start the build
Old 05-19-2010, 09:16 PM

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
keep an eye on that ultimatesubaru thread. He's definitely having the one adapter made, and it sounds like there's some interest in some others. if you're planning on running a W transmission....that's pretty definitely the cheapest option.

I'll subscribe as well. I hope it happens!

Quick Reply: subaru powered yota?