Engine Swaps Swapping an engine in your Toy, here is where to learn how

Performance 3vz build

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2016, 07:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Performance 3vz build

Hey guys I've been reading yotatech for a while now but I just recently made a profile and this is my first post. I am currently building a performance 3vz and wanted to do a write up on everything I am doing. I will get started on my write up after a response from someone. I'm unsure if I am posting in the correct forum for this build. If I'm not I apologize and would like some direction on where to submit it. Let me know guys and I'll get started thanks.
Old 03-21-2016, 05:29 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
These days...I'm not sure it really matters where. If it gets moved it gets moved. If it doesn't it doesn't. https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/ is where I would put it.

Anywho, I'd love to see what you have in mind. If you can top what I've got for an avatar, Ivan Stewart's 400HP 3VZ-E, I'll be pretty damned impressed.
Old 03-21-2016, 11:20 AM

Well if it doesn't really matter then I will just run with it here. Considering I am swapping a new engine in I guess it will be ok. First off I'm gonna be honest and say that I am not doing the work personally myself. I know I will more than likely get some flack for that but whatever. I do know a pretty fair amount about engines but I do not claim to be a professional by any means. I'll talk a little bit about the guy doing the work for me. My mechanic is a guy that runs his own business doing electrical and does mechanic work on the side. The type of mechanic work he does is all for street racing cars and trucks and drag bikes. He has grown up in a racing shop and let me tell you that this guy knows his stuff and takes pride in his work. Ok now that's out of the way. My truck is an 88' 4Runner 4x4 with the 5 speed. It came from the factory with the 3vz. At 272,xxx miles it finally blew the head gasket and yes this was still the factory head gasket. I have been wanting to do a performance build for a while so this was my chance. Here is the build list.
The block is a HI-Pro performance short block from raptor engines. Here is the link for their engines. (http://raptorengines.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=35&products _id=102&zenid=h18244r0o9bp52q5tf0rn0rao5)
Remember now I only have their rotating assembly short block. All of the top end stuff is my own.
I purchased a brand new set of factory heads directly from Toyota and had them shaved, ported, and polished. 1mm oversized valves and guides intake and exhaust. Heavy duty valve springs intake and exhaust. I then got in contact with colt cams about the "weasy" cams hat I have read about on the forum. I told Geoff that I wanted something similar to this but I was doing a lot to the engine and wanted a little more if he could do it. He said that has cut a couple sets of these cams with a tighter lobe separation which will give it a little more power and a very lumpy idle. I went with these cams and he supplied the correct shims for me.
I purchased the 3mm over bore throttle body from DOA racing (I know everyone hates this guy).
I swapped over to the "pro series" head studs from LCE and also purchased a MLS head gasket.
I bought a brand new clutch and had my flywheel resurfaced.
Bought a new performance oil pump and water pump.
The timing kit only has about 8,xxx miles on it so I reused that but bought a new timing belt.
Finally I purchased a cheap CAI from eBay.
Because I live in the backwoods and don't have emissions my mechanic will be deleting ALL smog related stuff off the engine. We have been going over the exhaust problem on this vehicle and have determined that we will cap off the extra flange on the left bank exhaust manifold and route the passenger side down along the side of the transmission to a y-pipe just behind the tranny. He will also be printing and blending my intake plenum. I do have pictures of the build and it is almost complete. I will start posting pics very soon.

Last edited by Drag nasty; 03-21-2016 at 11:46 AM.
Old 03-21-2016, 02:10 PM

I'm actually the world's biggest 3VZ-E fan. So...you won't be hearing any smack from me. And I'm liking what I'm seeing so far. But I've got a few questions.

1. What's up with the performance oil pump and water pump? I want some of that.

2. What's up with the clutch? Stock?

3. And did you know you can run a 5VZ clutch, if you use a 5VZ flywheel? The 5VZ clutch disk is 14mm bigger(250mm vs. 236mm). The flywheel even weighs the same as a 3VZ(22 lbs.).

4. Ignition? Stock?

5. Fuel injection? Stock?

6. Are you going to dyno this thing?

Last edited by MudHippy; 03-21-2016 at 02:14 PM.
Old 03-21-2016, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by MudHippy
I'm actually the world's biggest 3VZ-E fan. So...you won't be hearing any smack from me. And I'm liking what I'm seeing so far. But I've got a few questions.

1. What's up with the performance oil pump and water pump? I want some of that.

2. What's up with the clutch? Stock?

3. And did you know you can run a 5VZ clutch, if you use a 5VZ flywheel? The 5VZ clutch disk is 14mm bigger(250mm vs. 236mm). The flywheel even weighs the same as a 3VZ(22 lbs.).

4. Ignition? Stock?

5. Fuel injection? Stock?

6. Are you going to dyno this thing?

I didn't mean to say performance oil pump and water pump. I guess I got excited with it. They are just brand new pumps. I didn't know that about the clutch but that is very good to know. I'm replacing the clutch with a new stock set of clutches.
The ignition is still stock for now but I have been doing some searching for what would best fit my build. My mechanic that is doing the work for me has a turbo that he thinks will work. That's right I'm gonna do it. It is a super 20g turbo which is a hybrid similar to the t3-t4. I have been looking at the "perfect power" SMT-8 piggy back to run it. We are going to run low boost maybe 5 or 6 pounds. I'm really just wanting to "free up" horsepower rather than make it. He will fab all the manifolds and piping.
The fuel injection is stock for now. I had my injectors spray matched and balanced.
I absolutely plan on putting her on a dyno for tuning but the turbo will not come into play until I get my Xmas bonus.
Question: how do I post pictures on here?
Old 03-21-2016, 05:06 PM

Photobucket. Then [IMG]paste direct link to pic here[/IMG].

That's how I do it.
Old 03-26-2016, 09:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MudHippy
I'm actually the world's biggest 3VZ-E fan. So...you won't be hearing any smack from me. And I'm liking what I'm seeing so far. But I've got a few questions. 1. What's up with the performance oil pump and water pump? I want some of that. 2. What's up with the clutch? Stock? 3. And did you know you can run a 5VZ clutch, if you use a 5VZ flywheel? The 5VZ clutch disk is 14mm bigger(250mm vs. 236mm). The flywheel even weighs the same as a 3VZ(22 lbs.). 4. Ignition? Stock? 5. Fuel injection? Stock? 6. Are you going to dyno this thing?
Good to hear I'm not the only 3.0 fan. I just did a 3.0 replacement with a long block rebuilt out of Texas. Love it.
Old 04-07-2016, 08:25 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Use a 7th injector with 5-6lb boost should be capable in stock form no problems. Get a stage 2 RAM clutch (400hp, street disc) and 5vz flywheel for around $350 on JCWhitney, of all places. If I still had a 3vz, I would have totally done this in a rear mount configuration.