Engine Swaps Swapping an engine in your Toy, here is where to learn how

NW team yota engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 03:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
NW team yota engine swap

Anyone hear anything about nwteamyota.com and their engines? Wanting to drop in a new 22re in my 91 pickup 4x4.
Old 07-29-2014, 12:01 PM
Contributing Member

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
Why not drop in a 3RZ and boost that pig.
Old 07-29-2014, 12:03 PM

I like the 22re engine. Not necessarily lookin for more horses.
Old 07-29-2014, 12:06 PM
Contributing Member

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
22R-E is a great engine, however, better fuel ecomony, reliability and just more modern.

Besides, why NOT have a few extra ponies??!
Old 07-29-2014, 12:08 PM

Eh this is what I want. Just trying to go the best route for this engine
Old 08-13-2014, 12:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I paid them to swap in a 3rz for me back in June. I would not do business with them again. I drove 3 hours home after picking up my truck from them. shortly into the drive an exhaust leak appears (they had put in some Doug Thorley headers I wanted and did not torque down one of the nuts). I also pulled the dip stick to find out that the motor was left 2 quarts low on oil. Also have had a problem with shifting ever since they did my swap (had no problem whatsoever before the swap). So with all this I began contacting them about these problems and seeking for them to rectify them. There attitude towards me once they had my money in hand was one of carelessness. Refused to pay for me to take the truck in to get the header leak fixed. Had no comment on the oil being left so low, or my shifting problem. It would take me emailing the guy 3 times before he would finally respond days later. I wish I would have gone with Toyonlyswaps. The only reason I did not is because they are an extra 2 hours away. It would have been worth it to have the job done right.
Old 08-13-2014, 03:43 PM

Well thankfully they aren't doing the install but I see what you mean about money in hand no more care. I have been riding them pretty hard to make sure the engine got shipped and all.
Old 08-14-2014, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by rowdyota
Well thankfully they aren't doing the install but I see what you mean about money in hand no more care. I have been riding them pretty hard to make sure the engine got shipped and all.
I hope you have better luck than I did with a re-manufactured 22re. That is why I did the 3rz swap. My "brand new" re-man 22re with less than 20k on it died on me. The 3rz they put in was out of a wrecked truck so I can't speak to their abilities/craftsmanship when it comes to re-mans. I wish you all the best of luck.
Old 12-12-2014, 09:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi all, I need a new engine for my '98 Taco 3.4L V6 5vzfe. Looking at having NW Team Yota install their remanufactured dressed long block for me.

SqWADoosh, I see you weren't happy with their work - how have things gone since then, were the negative issues you had ever resolved? How's your rig running now? I see you had them install a used engine, so you don't know if their remans are any good, but curious if the install problems were ever resolved.

Rowdyota, how did things turn out for you?

Anyone else have a good/bad experience w/NW Team Yota?
Old 12-12-2014, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by oregon taco
Hi all, I need a new engine for my '98 Taco 3.4L V6 5vzfe. Looking at having NW Team Yota install their remanufactured dressed long block for me.

SqWADoosh, I see you weren't happy with their work - how have things gone since then, were the negative issues you had ever resolved? How's your rig running now? I see you had them install a used engine, so you don't know if their remans are any good, but curious if the install problems were ever resolved.

Rowdyota, how did things turn out for you?

Anyone else have a good/bad experience w/NW Team Yota?
I would not recommend giving them your money. It comes with no kind of customer service once they have it. If that isn't enough reason to stay away then I don't know what is.
Old 12-12-2014, 10:41 AM

Talking

How's your rig now? Are you glad you went w/used engine? Where'd you find it? Any other lessons you can share w/us after going through this?

I'm actually Oregon Taco's wife (logged in as him), and I've been researching the crap out of options the past 2 weeks, and am nearly certifiably insane at this point. With nearly 200,000 miles, we've looked at everything from replacing Taco completely (nooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!! plus $$$$), to rebuilding the engine ourselves (scary, especially w/no garage, a gravel driveway, and the rainy climate of the NW), to taking our chances on installing a used engine or reman ourselves (w/the help of some nice neighbors and borrowed garage space), to spending $$$ and handing someone the keys to take over til she's running again. As I'm guessing you know since you've been through it, all those options come w/a wide variety of price tags and worries. Can't believe a stupid little hole in a piston could cause such misery.......

Any and all advice from someone who's been through this would be much appreciated!
Old 12-16-2014, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by oregon taco
How's your rig now? Are you glad you went w/used engine? Where'd you find it? Any other lessons you can share w/us after going through this?

I'm actually Oregon Taco's wife (logged in as him), and I've been researching the crap out of options the past 2 weeks, and am nearly certifiably insane at this point. With nearly 200,000 miles, we've looked at everything from replacing Taco completely (nooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!! plus $$$$), to rebuilding the engine ourselves (scary, especially w/no garage, a gravel driveway, and the rainy climate of the NW), to taking our chances on installing a used engine or reman ourselves (w/the help of some nice neighbors and borrowed garage space), to spending $$$ and handing someone the keys to take over til she's running again. As I'm guessing you know since you've been through it, all those options come w/a wide variety of price tags and worries. Can't believe a stupid little hole in a piston could cause such misery.......

Any and all advice from someone who's been through this would be much appreciated!
I would give the truck to these guys: www.toyonlyswaps.com and be done with it. That is what I would do if I had it all to do over again. They have a vastly more thorough work history with rave reviews all around. The only reason I didn't go to them is because of the extra distance. It would have been worth it to have the job done right.

As far as the re-man vs used question. Re-mans are bad news in general. They are often over bored and built with lesser parts. A lower mileage used engine is always a better choice.
Old 02-02-2015, 04:08 AM

Hey everyone, My 22re blew a head gasket and the timing chain flew off. pretty easy stuff to fix but im thinking about using the opportunity to swap my engine with a 2rz/3rz turbocharged (family tradition lol). just wonder what your thoughts are on which engine
Old 02-02-2015, 04:47 AM

The 3RZ is a better choice in every way. Its just a matter of finding one. Here is some reading material for you:

board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=19275.0