Engine Swaps Swapping an engine in your Toy, here is where to learn how

Can't decide which Toyota engine to swap in

Old 03-30-2015, 12:28 PM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Can't decide which Toyota engine to swap in

So, I've had this truck since '94 and have done all the work myself. Check sig for pretty good idea of what I have now. I'm getting to be about due for a minor rebuild (I have about 80k mi on my previous rebuild) and am ready for something new. I love my hopped up 22R, but am ready for a nice fuel injected engine, especially on the cold winter mornings when the 22R wants to stay in bed.

I've narrowed it down to these choices (hp/tq form wiki for reference):
1UZ-FE 256 hp/260 lb·ft
5VZ-FE 190 hp/220 lb·ft
3RZ-FE 150 hp/177 lb·ft

I thought about the JZ engines but decided they were too expencive. Don't even bother to recomend a non-toyota engine, not happening, my rig is staying all Toyota (Lexus engine is still fine).

I want more power and hopefully a little better milage than I have now (I average ~15mpg, so not that hard). I mostly use it for getting firewood, dump runs, and getting up snowed in forrest service roads to go snowshoeing/camping.

I am really leaning towards the 1UZ but have concerns that it might be "too much" engine and will start breaking things. I would most likely be getting a JDM engine and addapting my gear drive t-case to the auto trans that comes with the 1UZ.

I would hate to do the 5vz or 3RZ and wish I had more power (especially the 3RZ), but wonder if the UZ is a bit overboard. Also don't know if there'd be any real cost savings going to the 3RZ or 5VZ. I would really want to stay manual trans with these options.

I also thought about a LCE stage 3 stroker 22R, but it costs about the same as doing a swap so it seemed a bit of a waste.

Gimme them opinions! Especially you guys that have done one of these swaps. Thanks a lot.
Old 03-31-2015, 05:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
3.4 is the way to go IMO. and i did this swap.

plenty of power stock, night and day difference compared to the 4 banger.

and you can add more power with a supercharger or turbo.

the 3.4 makes it more fun to drive period...

the added weight makes the truck handle and ride different, the eight cyl would be heavier and have less room under the hood to work on it. my .02

Last edited by donomite49; 03-31-2015 at 06:01 PM.
Old 04-01-2015, 07:33 AM

Thanks for the input. About how much did your 5vz swap end up costing you, if you don't mind me asking? I've done a lot of research on the UZ swap so I have a pretty decent idea of the cost of that swap. If there's a decent cost savings then it would pull me to the 5VZ even more.

I am curious about the engine weight thing, the UZ is all aluminum so it's lighter than an iron block of the same size but don't know how they stack up against the 5vz for weight. I'll have to look into that.

Keep those oppinions and tidbits of wisdom comming!
Old 04-01-2015, 07:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With the 3rz you may be able to use your stock transmission, the 5vz will need a r150 bell housing. Not sure about the 1uz. Go big if your wanting power, you don't have to push the pedal all the way all the time. Just good to know you can.
My 3.4 swapped truck wasn't a powerhouse by any means but it could get out of its own way. Since I'm doing it all over with my 4Runner I'm going straight to the V8.
Old 04-01-2015, 07:56 AM

Also a good point. The trans is going away because I have a weak ass L50 or L52 trans right now, barely can handle what I'm throwing at it right now.
Would like to stay manual but the UZ manual options seem like a pain.
Is there a 5vz manual that has the pass side t-case front output? I am under the impression that the taco's all have drivers side front drivelines.

Did a bit of looking around and it seems that the 1uz and 5vz weight pretty much the same, 1uz may be a tad lighter, but would quickly be offset by the weight of the auto trans.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by Bingle
Also a good point. The trans is going away because I have a weak ass L50 or L52 trans right now, barely can handle what I'm throwing at it right now. Would like to stay manual but the UZ manual options seem like a pain. Is there a 5vz manual that has the pass side t-case front output? I am under the impression that the taco's all have drivers side front drivelines. Did a bit of looking around and it seems that the 1uz and 5vz weight pretty much the same, 1uz may be a tad lighter, but would quickly be offset by the weight of the auto trans.
A T100 maybe?? You can use the older R150 trans but have to buy an adapter to run a toy gear case, or run the chain case.
Also with the V8 and a manual it will have more torque at idle making it very difficult to stall out
Old 04-01-2015, 08:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bingle
Also a good point. The trans is going away because I have a weak ass L50 or L52 trans right now, barely can handle what I'm throwing at it right now.
Would like to stay manual but the UZ manual options seem like a pain.
Is there a 5vz manual that has the pass side t-case front output? I am under the impression that the taco's all have drivers side front drivelines.

Did a bit of looking around and it seems that the 1uz and 5vz weight pretty much the same, 1uz may be a tad lighter, but would quickly be offset by the weight of the auto trans.
T100s used both the 3.0L and 3.4L with the same first generation IFS...passenger side transfer case drop.

The 3.0L M/T and 3.4L M/T are the same transmissions, they have different length input shafts and bell housings though. The transfer case shouldn't be an issue, I'm sure Marlin Crawler or Inchworm has an adapter that can mount any transfer case to just about any transmission.

Probably the easiest would be to find a 3.0L M/T with transfer case and call it a day. The 3.0L and 3.4L have the same bolt patterns, so the 3.0 transmission will bolt directly to the 3.4L.
Old 04-01-2015, 12:17 PM

Good info. I'm not doing dual cases or lower gears so the chain drive case is totally fine by me. the only instance where I'd keep my gear drive is to put it behind the Lexus auto trans with the inchworm adaptor.

I'm hearing a lot of votes for the 5vz and starting to lean that way so another question for you 5vz guys, what gearing to run with 35's? I have 5.29's now, a must for the 22R, but the engine is reving pretty high in 5th on the freeway, especially when I get out of town and the speed limit is 70 (and traffic is doing 75+). Enough power in the VZ I could drop to 4.88's and still have plenty torque off the line? I planned on changing to 4.88 if I did the UZ but am not sure how the VZ will pull with those gears.

How hard is swaping over the wiring for the 5VZ? Harder/ easier/ about the same as doing the 1UZ? I would be doing a non-vvti 1UZ that I believe were all still OBDI. Different year issues with the 5VZ I should be aware of?

SacRunner, you can bolt the 3.0 m/t to the 3.4 engine directly? or do you need the 3.4 bellhousing? Use the 3.0 clutch or the 3.4?

Thanks again everyone for the input/info!
Old 04-01-2015, 01:17 PM

Yes the 3.0 trans bolts to the 3.4 engine. Wiring will probably be equally as hard or easy for one or the other.
Plenty of info about the 3.4 we have an entire section dedicated to it. So that might make the 3.4 little easier.
Old 04-01-2015, 02:10 PM
RBX

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
The 3.4 is going to be the easiest most straight forward because they can be had with a 5spd. But your fuel mileage won't be much better then what you get now. I was seriously looking to swap a 1Uz unto my rig. The way I look at it, for similar effort i can shove the v8 in. I have a 3vz now and have driven many 5vz trucks. I'd go 1uz and put a megasquirt ecu on it. Less wiring and fault issues and you can tune it all you want. And should end up with him low 20s mpg.