Engine Swaps Swapping an engine in your Toy, here is where to learn how

302 swap into a 1980 pick up...question

Old 11-13-2016, 01:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
302 swap into a 1980 pick up...question

Hi all,
So a long time ago I put a 78' 302 mated to a c4 tranny into my 80' yota. I ran a AA tranny to tranfer case adapter so I could retain the toyota t-case. Long story short I got it running but never driving before I put it on the back burner for two years. Started to work on it again and something is ˟˟˟˟ed up in the engine so this brings me to my predicament; I can either rebuild or upgrade.
Would it be possible to use an efi 302 with my current set up? Lets say an engine from a foxbody or newer mustang?
One problem I think I would run into would be how to shift the tranny. A newer engines ecu would control shifting right? Any ideas on how to get around this? Would the engine run right without this control? Could I get the right amount of vacuum to shift the c4 accurately? Any insight into this would be appreciated!

If anybody has other questions regarding my swap please feel free to ask! I don't really have any progress pictures but I remember a lot of what I did and I know when I started I couldn't really find any info.

Search this Thread