YotaTech Forums  

Go Back   YotaTech Forums > Off Road Tech, Fab Shop, Solid Axle Swaps, Tool Time, & Engine Swaps > Engine Swap Talk > Engine Swaps
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Engine Swaps Swapping an engine in your Toy, here is where to learn how

Welcome to Yotatech!
Welcome to Yotatech,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-11-2013, 07:35 AM   #1 (permalink)
Personal Sales Rating: (0)

3.0 to 22r swap in a 91 4runner

I've recently hydrolocked my 3.0 and my buddy is going to give me a 22r engine with tranny and a transfer case. Just wondering what all I'm going to run into doing this swap. Am I going to need a new harness and engine mounts?
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Yotatech!
MechoShade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 10:39 AM   #2 (permalink)

Not a common swap,

Different mounts and depending on what 22r you're talking about the wiring is also different, the early 22r's are easy enough to wire up stand alone but 22 re's not so much and they get progressivly more complicated as they get newer into the 90's.
I don't know much about the automatics but with standards the transmission won't bolt up and the only bell I can think of that'll make it happen is a 22ret (turbo) which are not common, and then you would likely need to use the turbo trans as the input shaft is longer. Maybe some odd ball bell from a cresida or something or maybe an aftermarket adapter?
In the end it might be cheaper to yank a v6 from a wrecker or grab one from craigslist, I see them for under 300 all the time. Even a 3.4l would be easier but they're not cheap.
92yota92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 09:04 AM   #3 (permalink)
Threadstarter [OP]

It's a 22r engine with the transfer case and transmission, so I should be able to just throw it in, and do some wiring and that's it? (And mounts)
MechoShade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 10:50 AM   #4 (permalink)
Personal Sales Rating: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechoShade View Post
I've recently hydrolocked my 3.0 and my buddy is going to give me a 22r engine with tranny and a transfer case. Just wondering what all I'm going to run into doing this swap. Am I going to need a new harness and engine mounts?
Either fix the 3.0 or swap a 3.4
Like it was said before not a common swap, it would be like taking steps back from the 3.0
JasonYota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 07:46 AM   #5 (permalink)

If you're looking at the engine/trans combo then your looking at mounts wiring and driveshafts, the 4 cyl and v6 are different, you can adapt the plates or just drill out the holes but that can get slopy.
4 cyl transmissions are shorter in the standards I imagine the automatics must have some similar difference. That means moving your cross member and shortening/lengthening the driveshafts probably.
92yota92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 07:46 AM
Yotatech
4WD Truck

Paid Advertisement

Tags
22r