Engine Swaps Swapping an engine in your Toy, here is where to learn how

1/2 a 4bbl

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 07:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1/2 a 4bbl

Ok this may sound really off the wall, but since I can't stand my Weber on my 22r I was thinking of getting a 4bbl from a 5.0 something and only use half of it. I have a CNC mill so building an adapter and needed other parts is not an issue. Maybe a 450 Holley and not use half of it, if there is no air flow through one side then it should work right. Remove the throttle plates on one side is what I was thinking mounted on an adapter that only had holes machined in it on one side. Crazy I know but since I work in R&D I tend to think out of the box and sometimes maybe a little too far.
Opinions......?????????????????????/
Old 12-12-2010, 05:44 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
why do you not like your weber? even though I have yet to dial this weber of mine in, I love it.
Old 12-12-2010, 07:16 AM

Weber

Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
why do you not like your weber? even though I have yet to dial this weber of mine in, I love it.
Tuning is it, the way you adjust it just doesn't seem right and doesn't seem to work. I've read reread and tried several times but it's just running too rich, huge too rich. Most guys say their carb was too lean and they had to jet up. Motor is stock with an Offy intake and a NWOR header. I installed a inline pressure regulator but when I get to 3psi it won't flow to keep it from crapping out at WOT. The local import repair shop guys who are aces with stock Toyotas and Hondas won't touch it. Tryng to find jets is a pain too, have to order them so for a $5 jet you get hose on shipping. OK, rant off. Any input?
Old 12-12-2010, 01:44 PM

you using the stock fuel pump? What do you have your timing set at? Where is your idle screw set at? Do you have your fuel return line blocked off? What kinda of regulator? The Weber is pretty much a perfect match. If you don't like the weber, why not just put an AISIN back on and not try to screw with a carb to make it work?
Old 12-13-2010, 04:24 AM

Carbs

Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
you using the stock fuel pump? What do you have your timing set at? Where is your idle screw set at? Do you have your fuel return line blocked off? What kinda of regulator? The Weber is pretty much a perfect match. If you don't like the weber, why not just put an AISIN back on and not try to screw with a carb to make it work?
Very good questions,
I have an electric pump was on there when I bought it.\
I have adjusted the idle screw just like the little paper says and more.
Bought the regulator from NAPA.
Don't have the stock one it was junk that's why I replaced it.
Screw with a carb to make it work/ Ha I look at it as a challenge, an adventure in R&D and fabrication.
Or maybe i'll find an RE set up for it?
Old 12-13-2010, 04:42 AM

ok maybe I should have been more clear, what type of regulator (dial type/holley type), which pump (make/model), what size fuel line? How many turns out is the idle mixture screw now? What is your idle RPM set at? You remembered to lower the idle speed screw to no more than 1 turn in from contact before setting the idle mix screw right?

It is possible that whatever fuel pump is on there is not able to flow the required amount of fuel when regulating it down to 3-4psi. It is also possible that the P.O> put on an EFI or higher PSI carbed fuel pump as well (10-14psi.) Which would very much hinder the flow-rate at 4spi.

Ideal situation is to use a 3-4psi fuel pump with no regulator, but that leaves very few options. SO it's important to know the flow-rate specs on your current fuel pump at 4psi not just the fuel pump's rated PSI.

Is the fuel return blocked off? I am gonna assume it is since you have the electric pump.

For the amount you might spend trying to get that holley to work (would most likely require jet changes in that too) you could get a full weber jet kit and be able to mix/match all of the jets in it. Both primary idle/secondary idle, Main and Secondary jets.

Forgot to ask as well, which weber the 38 or 32/36?
Old 12-13-2010, 09:20 AM

carb

Thanks for the input. I do not know the type of pump or what fuel pressure the pump has, and that's true it could be doing just what you described. The fuel reg I have is one with a dial on it that's adjustable.
You are very correct, buying a kit would be the right thing to do.
Yep I did the idle and air speed adjustment just as you described, rpm 600-700ish, trying to keep it as slow as it will run smoothly.
32/36.
I have played with timing, I just don't see an improvement no mater what I do.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:06 AM

get rid of that crappy dial regulator. They are horrible. Get yourself a holley regulator on there.

I swear by these things. Any time I need to put a regulator on something, I have always used, these. Never 1 problem with them.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HLY-12-804

I also haven't noticed any severe problems running my factory Mechanical pump, but I am starting to believe that it's not flowing enough at WOT. but I have other issues that I need to take care of with it, like cam timing (block is shaved so I know my cam timing is slightly off), and I do need to re-jet it up 1 or 2 sizes at least on the idle primary.

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 12-13-2010 at 10:10 AM.