Solid Axle Swaps, All Years Anything SAS related

solid axle swap v ifs lift.

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 04:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow been out of town for a few weeks. but I really appreciate the input guys. Through the other work that popped up that needed to be done to the truck. I think I'm going to wait on my lift kit for now. If I do anything I'll do a set of bj spacers and save up for a SAS later.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:01 AM

Hi, I know it´s an old post probably but I´m really concerned about this topic, as I wanted to lift a little bit more my 4runner, which I did on december with the BJ´s spacers, and the T bars seem to be kind of cranked, but, It´s really a pain in the ass, when need to replace a CV boot or a BJ in order to align the truck, for any reason, so I haven´t changed my lower Bj´s and need to put both boots of the left Cv, and I was wondering if waiting to buy a Trailmaster Lift Kit, which is almost $600, BUT..... Suddenly I just found a SA, which I bought for $200 on CL And I still Don´t know If should I just keep going or not? I don´t really wheel too much, but I´m planning to at least once a month or every two months since I live in Baja.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:36 PM

My Idler arm started to feel worn, and my CV boot was torn. That was motivation enough for me to SAS rather than put money in something i hated. That was when I was building Big block fullsized rigs. Not even a "Yota " guy yet. Best decision ive made. Makes your truck so muck more capable and reliable both on and offroad. Way simpler too. SAS AND CHEBBY 63's ALL THE WAY!!!
Old 07-24-2012, 03:16 PM

do your homework... one thing i have learned getting ready for my sas is read forums take notes then, read all the forums again.. pm ppl with questions most ppl have no problem sharing knowledge.
but first things first if your going to do a sas first decide if your going to use it.. thats what took me so long to finally decide. was only going on mild trails and boom started breaking all kinds of stuff...
Old 07-25-2012, 09:07 AM

Thanx for the replies, As I´m seriously considering it, I mean I already bought the SA from an 85 runner last week, I´m doing my researches, Yotatech is totally useful.

I´ll be posting my build thread soon, probably in 2 months as I want to have everything ready, just to Swap it on a weekend, I can´t stop my dailydrive for a long time.

As Von, mentions, I got dissapointed too with the IFS when fixed a Cv, then the other, then a boot got ripped, now the lower Bj´s needs to be replaced, I bought everything I have the parts but the deal is the time to do all that, so I was considering upgrading the whole thing. cheers...
Old 07-26-2012, 05:37 PM

haha i just saw this I 100% positive that the first step to a SAS is an IFS lift!
Old 07-29-2012, 07:25 PM

BJ spacers and AAL until you wheel that set up to it's limits. If it's a "mall crawler" like you say, you'll likely not benifit from doing a solid axle swap. BJ spacers and AAL is a Saturday job. SAS...... go ahead and free up 3 to 4 days if you don't hit any snags 5 to 6 if you do. The BJ spacer and AAL setup is much cheaper and you can sell it to a buddy if you decide to SAS it.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:08 PM

I did my swap in the Saturday took 8 hours exactly
Old 07-29-2012, 09:10 PM

^^well...paid a friend who'd done like a dozen of them to do mine. for me cuz he had the shop...in a Saturday. Runs great drives great did 90mph omw to work this morning (late)
Old 07-30-2012, 03:21 AM

I was assuming he would be doing the work in his garage/ driveway and has never done a swap before. I'm sure that it can be done much faster if you know what to expect, have all the parts needed, and a shop with a lift. Mine took a couple of weekends start to finish, but I also did RUF setup, moved my steering box forward, made my own rear shock mounts, rebuilt the front axle, etc. and I don't have a lift in my garage.
Old 07-30-2012, 04:56 AM

Received 301 Likes on 207 Posts
My 02 is this... Sure you can lift the IFS fit some larger tires.. blah blah but if you really want to wheel, youll need to have the front end locked. And those little CV shafts cant take the pressure. Ok so you can get some RCV shafts, but those are about 2k alone, and for that price you can SAS with a set of longs....
Old 08-15-2012, 09:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rattle waggon is right on that one. I have wheeled the tuff country lift for 8+ years now and have yet to break it. I've kept up with the big dogs on full widths and only been stopped due to the lack of a locker The bracket lift will hold up depending on the terrain of wheeling you do. Any extreme articulation and you may as well crush the side sand top of your yota now but if it's just playing in the mud, snow, or occasional trails then theres nothing wrong with the bracket lift IMHO. If you want to wheel hard or crawl you need the front to be locked. Sas is the way to go for that route.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I just happen to have both trucks, an 87 4r with a bracket lift and front locker + rear lsd with procomp rears and an 88 4r with SAS and marlin rear springs.

I do wheel the ifs, but I always have an extra front axle in the truck because I have broken 10 of them. If you have no locker and IFS, good luck wheeling...

the SAS rig has full spool in the rear and 35's with lsd in the front. Wheels better than the ifs rig, but the ride is definitely terrible, even with marlin lift springs in the rear. Chevy springs are stupid with sas, because you still have to use 4" lift blocks even after all the work you did on the truck. Name brand rear springs are the way to go.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:58 AM

6" IFS and SAS with rears. Both on 35's. SAS is a much better ride.

Last edited by meswoleshane; 09-28-2012 at 07:22 AM.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:19 AM

Hi y'all.
I'm about to pick up a solid '83 front axle for my '87 pickup. I'm planning on driving it around town...also trails up mountains. What are some of the best swap kits out there? Also whats the best gear ratio for me? Thanks, I know someone's gonna tell me to research, I don't have time.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:21 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by arctic_hawk907
Hi y'all.
I'm about to pick up a solid '83 front axle for my '87 pickup. I'm planning on driving it around town...also trails up mountains. What are some of the best swap kits out there? Also whats the best gear ratio for me? Thanks, I know someone's gonna tell me to research, I don't have time.
If you don't have time to search for yourself you sure as hell won't have time to ever do a SAS.

Go search.

:wabbit2:
Old 10-04-2012, 02:37 PM

I just wanted to give my fabricator guy a good kit, thanks for making this site useless dick.
Old 10-04-2012, 02:45 PM

I just wanted to give my fabricator guy a good kit, thanks for making this site useless dick.
Aren't you the one making this site useless? Not using the info that these guys give?
Old 10-04-2012, 02:52 PM

Sorry your right
Old 10-04-2012, 03:08 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
I just wanted to give my fabricator guy a good kit, but I'm a lazy useless dick.
Fixed it for you.

:wabbit2:

Quick Reply: solid axle swap v ifs lift.