Solid Axle Swaps, All Years Anything SAS related

HELP! Wheel Bearing Preload Issue!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 03:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP! Wheel Bearing Preload Issue!

Hey guys, I'm rebuilding a 1985 solid front axle for my 1993 Pick up. I'm using a Trail Gear IFS eliminator kit and using the included knuckle service kits and wheel bearing kits.

Rebuild was going great until this afternoon. Got the spindles on the knuckles and got the hub/rotor assemblies slid onto the greased spindles.

I followed a write up on 4Crawler and the numbers correlated with my Haynes manual.

Installed the backing washer and the first nut.

1) Tightened the first nut to 43 ft/lbs, rotate hub 4-5 times L/R
2) Loosen nut and rotate hub 4-5 times L/R
3) Repeat #1
4) Repeat #2
5) Torque first nut to 21 ft/lbs install locking ring and second nut.

So I did all of the above and threw my new 20 lb. spring scale on there and maxed it out before the hub turned.

Dismantled the hub and tried it again. Wiped a bit of the excess grease away and ran my finger along the beefy Trail Gear oil seal. Nothing seems to be causing the friction in terms of burrs, dents or debris.

Slid the hub back on and seated the outer wheel bearing. The hub spins nice and loose....right? Then I added the washer and the first lock nut. As I began to turn the socket by hand to take the slop out before attaching the torque wrench. Once I get above about what I assume to be 15 ft/lbs the rotor becomes rather stiff and a pain to turn.

I asked my dad for a second opinion and he agreed that the rotors felt too stiff when spinning them.

I asked a few guys on the handy facebook Toyota groups and got mixed replies. One guy said to just tighten the nut until the rotor began to feel stiff, back off a hair and add the lock ring and second nut.

I tried it, and I'm pretty uneasy about how loose the nuts are.

Does anybody have any input? This is really irritating me.
Old 02-22-2015, 04:53 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If I remember right the IFS trucks go to 75ftlbs on the first. Since you have new bearings I would expect them to be stiff at 43ftlbs. So I'm curious what brand and spec grease you are using? You need pre-load on these or they cannot be lined up, the wheels wobble on the rack.

So if you are using a really good wheel bearing grease, put them in at 21ftlbs and drive it. Check with the scale after a hundred miles or so, see if loosened up.
Old 02-23-2015, 01:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I used that red grease from autozone. Says for GM and Toyota vehicles. Says its for axleshafts and CV joints.
Old 02-23-2015, 03:31 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Sounds thin, I'm not familiar with that product.

http://www.lowerfriction.com/pdf/8.pdf

http://www.amazon.com/Valvoline-VV632-Fortified-Multi-Purpose-Vehicles/dp/B000GAD07O http://www.amazon.com/Valvoline-VV632-Fortified-Multi-Purpose-Vehicles/dp/B000GAD07O

You really need an extreme pressure grease due the larger wheels and tires.

Just make sure to put extra grease into the open area between the bearings and torque like the book says.

I know mine are torqued higher and are just fine.