Solid Axle Swaps, All Years Anything SAS related

Doing the rear first

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 04:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Doing the rear first

I am about to embark on my solid axle swap. I hope to have it "complete" around the first of the year. My plan is to, first, buy and install a 4" rear leaf swap. I am running about 5" in the back and 4" up front with my current IFS and coil setup. Then, I will continue to save $ and purchase the front 3" swap. Has anybody went this route/order? I need the vehicle on most days, so I think doing it in stages is the best. I do plan to remove a leaf or two on all sides and maybe de-arching springs to run 33's. Any idea on how many leafs should I remove? Thanks.
Old 10-11-2007, 04:55 AM

why do a solid axle swap and only run 33s???
Old 10-11-2007, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by 44Runner
why do a solid axle swap and only run 33s???
x2........re-gear as well and run some 35's
Old 10-11-2007, 06:38 AM

i know

I know, but I want to stay as low as possible. It feels top-heavy as it is. 35's are my limit. I will probably "hummerize" her in the future, but not unless it is necessary. I will regear regardless...4.88. This is a project that I will do myself as well. Anyways, any input on the rear?
Old 10-11-2007, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by Spinnbait
I will probably "hummerize" her in the future, but not unless it is necessary.
Make it ugly and useless?
Old 10-11-2007, 08:39 AM
Contributing Member

Your shooting yourself in the foot doing all that work and running tires that a stock truck can run. Your going to make it a ton more places with more clearance before getting tippy becomes a problem. I have 4" springs a 2" body lift and 37's. I've ran just about every trail Norcal has to offer including several trips through the Rubicon. Sure I suck seat cushion in the off camber stuff but I'd rather do that all day as I laugh at the guys on 33's that are hung up on rocks I can drive over without thinking twice.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:52 PM

ok

Ok, tire size will be determined at a later date. Now, rear before front, any input?
Old 10-11-2007, 03:31 PM

yeah I was thinkging about doing it the same way do the rear first and cut'n'gut second. 33"s would work fine it all depends on what you do I run 31"s and soon 33" with a 3" sas or 4", I don't like the body roll stuff with big tires and I don't want to re-gear. Im going to do a sas because it would make offroading less "I could rip off my cv over this log or rock"

Last edited by spanish-road; 10-11-2007 at 03:34 PM.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
ok stop making fun of the tire size anyway you look at it the solid axle will go farther in the spots it needs too. as for lift in the rear my set up was with the 5.5 in the rear and 5's in the front it turned out the rear weighed too much and still sagged alot. this isnt too bad since know im actualy liking the setup with the rear a bit lower. it will help with roll and make my truck perform much better offroad. plenty of people do the leaf spring swap in the rear first before the sas. since you want to stay low i think the 4 to 4.5 if there is one would be good in the rear then get the 3s to 4s up front. btw dont remove the leafs
Old 10-11-2007, 07:50 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The rear is way more work than the front, in my opinion, plus you can use cruiser coils and keep the rear for now.

The 4Runner axles have so much on them to cut and grind off it's not funny.
Old 10-11-2007, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by yotaman
The rear is way more work than the front, in my opinion, plus you can use cruiser coils and keep the rear for now.

The 4Runner axles have so much on them to cut and grind off it's not funny.
Yeah, I'm running 862's right now. They are great for what they are, but I think leaf springs are the ticket for my balance between more articulation and budget. A triangulated coil setup front and rear would be great, but I just dont have that kinda budget or downtime. The rear and front, in different sessions, is adequate for my time frame. Plus it has been done so many times that the pre-fabbed kits and knowledge are nearly indestructable.

I guess that I am looking for someone that ran a Trailmaster 4" IFS kit and eventually did a leaf SAS starting in the rear. Finding those people is much closer to laughable than possible, I'm sure.

Anyways, I do not expect that this up-and-coming iteration will be the last before I am done with my truck.

I appreciate all of the help.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:12 PM

Yeah, I'm running 862's right now. They are great for what they are, but I think leaf springs are the ticket for my balance between more articulation and budget. A triangulated coil setup front and rear would be great, but I just dont have that kinda budget or downtime. The rear and front, in different sessions, is adequate for my time frame. Plus it has been done so many times that the pre-fabbed kits and knowledge are nearly indestructable.

I guess that I am looking for someone that ran a Trailmaster 4" IFS kit and eventually did a leaf SAS starting in the rear. Finding those people is much closer to laughable than possible, I'm sure.

Anyways, I do not expect that this up-and-coming iteration will be the last before I am done with my truck.

I appreciate all of the help.
What I was saying is keep the stock rear set up and just use 93-97 FJ80 Land Cruiser Rear Coils. SAS the front with some 3" springs for the front and save A LOT OF TIME AND MONEY. If you're only looking to run 33" or 35" tires you don't need to do anything to the rear of your truck. I've been there and done that.

Just my 2 cents.

I reread your first post and see you already have a lift out back.

Last edited by yotaman; 10-11-2007 at 09:15 PM.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:13 PM

Nevermind! What happened to the delete part of yotatech?

Last edited by yotaman; 10-11-2007 at 09:16 PM.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:48 PM

although i didn't go that route, there is nothing wrong with going to leafs in the rear first. the factory link setup is only good until a certain point. once you get enough spring back there the geometry goes to hell. it's been done countless times and apparently works, but IMO to do it "properly" you need to either run drop brackets or a new link setup altogether. i love my leaf setup in the rear. its' simple, cheap, works, and is predictable. also, i second not pulling leafs, as the spring pack is designed how they are for a reason. look into 48" toyota rear springs for the front and some flat junkyard springs for the rear if you want to keep it low. whichever way you go with it, good luck.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:00 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Why does the title to this thread sound dirty?

Anyhow:
Depends on what you use it for, but I'd go for 35's at least if you're going to do a SAS. As for your original question, I'd go with some cruiser coils, or maybe a leaf conversion. Either way, if you're gonna "do the rear first", you're gonna need a lot of lubrication........

to get all those rusted, crusted, or stuck bolts off of there.....What did you think I meant?
Old 10-12-2007, 06:01 AM

goal

So, how about de-arching springs? Any thoughts?

The reason that I ask about removing leafs and or de-arching springs is because of this guy: http://www.brian894x4.com/Mytrucksmodifications.html

I really like the setup that he has. He kinda has the same goals that I do. I just want a stable, reliable platform that I can take to the mountains, wheel with more flexability, and hand the keys to the girlfriend if she needs the cargo space for an errand. IFS has been good to me, but it's time for it to go.
Old 10-12-2007, 08:43 AM

IFS has been good to me, but it's time for it to go.
Why? How does it limit you? Do you have front and rear lockers?
Old 10-12-2007, 09:56 AM

Keeping the wheels on the ground is the issue. Bracket lift and maxed rear setup isn't working very well. Thanks for the input guys.

Originally Posted by 44Runner
Why? How does it limit you? Do you have front and rear lockers?
Old 10-16-2007, 09:04 PM

no luck

I went to a Salvage Yard today to look at a few 1st gen 4Runners and comparable trucks for an axle. Everything was '86 and up. I was really hoping to find one as the particular junkyard sells axles for $75 if you pull them. We did pull a Ford 8.8 for my buddy's Jeep. Oh well, the search continues...
Old 10-17-2007, 07:40 AM

I went to a Salvage Yard today to look at a few 1st gen 4Runners and comparable trucks for an axle. Everything was '86 and up. I was really hoping to find one as the particular junkyard sells axles for $75 if you pull them. We did pull a Ford 8.8 for my buddy's Jeep. Oh well, the search continues...
Damn, i need to find a junkyard like this. The buggy might get 60s