Solid Axle Swaps, All Years Anything SAS related

91' Pickup Low SAS

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 08:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Teuf
Brings back memories it does.

Lovin' the rig man! Your finished truck is keeping me motivated to keep going!
Old 05-23-2014, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Daenerysdad
What were you studying at cwi!? I just graduated there too at the micron center in nampa for welding!
Honesty have changed my major so many times.. Got all my generals out of the way along with some other random classes; I have to really dig down and figure it out before fall semester! Niice, are you working anywhere from it?
Old 05-23-2014, 08:41 PM

Holy damn am I tired of cutting and grinding.. Got her all cleaned up and smooth though! Didn't order enough leaf bushings so had to run to the store to grab some, slowed me down a bit. Ended up with the springs mounted up. Should be able to finish getting the axle under, brakes hooked back up, check how she sits and then deal with steering..

91' Pickup Low SAS-cnpvs0r.jpg

91' Pickup Low SAS-4g8cswx.jpg

91' Pickup Low SAS-xsxut8p.jpg

91' Pickup Low SAS-u6tsib8.jpg
Old 05-24-2014, 08:12 PM

It's under and almost ready to roll! Got everything mounted up today.. Brakes are on with lines, just need to bleed them still. I have a 110 welder in the garage which doesn't burn too hot so had to put some pretty good tacks all around the motor mount plates as well as the shock tube mounts. My dads buddy down the road has a 220 at his house so once I finish up the steering; I'll take her easy down the road to get everything really welded in good. Kinda screwed myself over which not buying wheel spacers.. Wheels hit the calipers so I can't put them on without spacers! I'll have to try a few 4x4 shops to see if they have anything but I'm kind of SOL with it being a holiday weekend with ordering some online.. Besides that though I'm happy with the stance; It's lower but not super super low. About 3" or so over stock, could probably drop it down another inch but I like where it's at..

91' Pickup Low SAS-vmajoxa.jpg

Made my own shackles, 1" longer than stock so around 4.5" hole to hole
91' Pickup Low SAS-qaatbhi.jpg

Ahhh, makes me want to drive her so bad.. Deciding if I want to take off my 1" body lift or not.. I may keep it just for other clearances it'll give
91' Pickup Low SAS-xsyodsv.jpg

91' Pickup Low SAS-3bshfzm.jpg

91' Pickup Low SAS-yuhct0h.jpg

Where the pitman arm ended up, well past the tie rod
91' Pickup Low SAS-uc89u5k.jpg

Just a mockup on where I plan on moving the box; I'll probably try to angle it up a bit higher though.. Possibly a different arm in the future
91' Pickup Low SAS-p3i9aky.jpg

Last edited by A2theK; 05-26-2014 at 01:40 PM.
Old 05-24-2014, 08:51 PM

Looks sick, man! Can't wait to see it rolling around campus next semester! You knocked that out of the park pretty quick, huh? What's your plan for a front drive shaft?
Old 05-24-2014, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by StewsRunner
Looks sick, man! Can't wait to see it rolling around campus next semester! You knocked that out of the park pretty quick, huh? What's your plan for a front drive shaft?
Thanks! Haha yeah hopefully on the road next week driving down broadway! These damn spacers probably knocked me back a couple of days though.. I took a chance a few months ago and hopped on an 85' front driveshaft that was extended for his 6" lift on CL. I haven't put it on to see if it'll fit but i held it up and seemed like it would. The yoke was pulled out quite a bit so idk how it'll do when the axle droops down so I'll have to try it out when it's back on the road.
Old 05-24-2014, 09:21 PM

You said you'll be looking into some 4x4 shops for the wheel spacers? What shops do you go to in Boise? I don't think I've seen any.. Sorry to take a left turn in your thread..
Old 05-24-2014, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by StewsRunner
You said you'll be looking into some 4x4 shops for the wheel spacers? What shops do you go to in Boise? I don't think I've seen any.. Sorry to take a left turn in your thread..
Haha no problem, I usually don't go to any shops because ordering online is easier and I know they'll have it haha.. I only know of like bucks 4x4, which They never have anything in stock, and cobalt which idk too much about but hopefully they're open on Monday so I can make some calls.. There's some other 4x4 fab shops but I don't think they sell anything
Old 05-25-2014, 07:56 AM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Yea, whats your plans for a F drive shaft,,,,,,,,, Not hard to make.
Name:  aa_zpsadae2bad.jpeg
Views: 1646
Size:  11.9 KB
Name:  IMG_2404_zps88ee28ad.jpg
Views: 1667
Size:  41.5 KB
Name:  IMG_2408_zps60b002ec.jpg
Views: 1703
Size:  36.0 KB
I did not use the CV in the front, it went out back.
Old 05-25-2014, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by Teuf
Yea, whats your plans for a F drive shaft,,,,,,,,, Not hard to make.
I did not use the CV in the front, it went out back.
I was thinking about making a square shaft, talked to a few people locally about theirs but had mixed emotions.. Since it's my DD and not just a weekend 4x4; I need something that can go 50+ down the highway in 4WD when it snows here and some guys say their square D shafts usually start vibrating around 25 mph.. I'll put on the new shaft today to see how it fits, otherwise I'll either try a square shaft out because why not! haha or just get this one extended a bit more and balanced..
Old 05-26-2014, 12:59 PM

Everywhere is closed for memorial day, even online so I'll have to wait until tomorrow to figure out my wheel spacers.. Got the steering box all in place as well as drag link. All that's left is to fully weld steering box mount and shock hoops, as well as cut and sleeve my steering shaft and then it'll be time to give her an ol' test drive! Depending on when I get these spacers is when I can finish all the welding soo.. kinda at a stand still

Will probably order a less drop and shorter pitman arm in the future..

91' Pickup Low SAS-avz333q.jpg

Steering mount needing to be welded up

91' Pickup Low SAS-ul2aany.jpg

The drive shaft I bought of CL did in fact fit but with only a few inches on the spline, kinda leery about it but hell it should work for now..

91' Pickup Low SAS-ci2u1tm.jpg

91' Pickup Low SAS-wf4xmjb.jpg
Old 05-28-2014, 07:39 PM

Ordered my wheel spacers and had em shipped for overnight because I'm pretty impatient haha.. So should be able to get them tomorrow, throw them on and get my wheels back on finally for good. Then just have to finish up some welding with a 220 and paint her all back up and fix any riding issues or anything else that may come up, hopefully nothing though!!
Old 05-30-2014, 08:58 PM

Good news! Got her up and running on the streets again woop woop! Still have a few misc things to finish, steering stabilizer, bump stops, painting.. I'm super impressed with the ride quality as well! Feels nice and solid, got her up to 65 with not a single shake. I'll head down the interstate tomorrow to see the higher speeds 75+ but overall it drives super straight, feels tight, great spring rate, very happy! As expected though anything over 10 mph in 4x4 vibrates the hell out of the truck which I'm assuming is my drive line that is a bit short and who knows if its balanced.. I'll get more pics of the stance tomorrow, it's about an inch or so higher than the rear. I'm just running 2" blocks in the rear (chevy's to come) and that 1" BL so overall it just a hair over 3" suspension lift up front..

Wheel spacers were over nighted and get them basically the next morning!

91' Pickup Low SAS-4w8uqi5.jpg

Steering shaft was too short by about 2" so cut it up!

91' Pickup Low SAS-7ggr9bm.jpg

Sleeved and burned together, may drill some holes here and there and stick some more welds in but for now its super solid

91' Pickup Low SAS-o3fibzc.jpg

Before I got the shaft finished and rest of the welding done, took her to my dads work where the 220 welder was at to finish everything up

91' Pickup Low SAS-gzwfskx.jpg

All aligned and driving super straight; I could literally drive with my finger if wanted to. Such a huge improvement over my IFS lift and worn out front end.

91' Pickup Low SAS-6onedx4.jpg

Quick side angle shot. I'll be ordering some new front tires since no one could align my IFS; it just completely ate through them.. I always told myself I wouldn't want to go bigger than 33's but after this 35's are sounding more and more appealing haha.. We'll see how the bank account looks in a few months and I'll decide then More pics tomorrow!

91' Pickup Low SAS-ojcbjgz.jpg
Old 05-31-2014, 04:44 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Looking good! Always nice to be able to take it up to hwy speeds with out any vibrations
Old 05-31-2014, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Gizler00
Looking good! Always nice to be able to take it up to hwy speeds with out any vibrations
Thanks! Yeah pretty glad about that, got up to 80 with really not too much of anything, a little vibrate coming out of the wheel but nothing a stabilizer wont fix when I get it mounted.

Few shots of how it sits.. Will be ordering two more 33's since my front two are practically bald.. Rears have like no wear so it should work out fine. Just need a little more lift in the rear, thinking chevy springs; what's everyones opinions about them? Thinking about buying a cheap worn set of 35's on CL just to see what it'll look like :p I'm off work tomorrow so I'll get it flexed out a little more than what I've done

91' Pickup Low SAS-qt1v9o7.jpg

91' Pickup Low SAS-lokwvos.jpg

91' Pickup Low SAS-0d5y4t9.jpg

91' Pickup Low SAS-aoj71dr.jpg
Old 06-01-2014, 10:34 AM

Love the look with the soft topper
Old 06-01-2014, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Gizler00
Love the look with the soft topper
Thanks man, I love it.. It's super convenient, lightweight and overall nice to have.

Instead of getting some new 33's; I've really been looking into just getting 35's and selling my nice 33's in the rear to make up for some of the $$. I also found a Toyota e locker locally for $80 but I won't be able to grab it until next week so I'm super stokedddd
Old 06-02-2014, 06:45 AM

Received 301 Likes on 207 Posts
Nice work!
Old 06-02-2014, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by A2theK
Thanks man, I love it.. It's super convenient, lightweight and overall nice to have. Instead of getting some new 33's; I've really been looking into just getting 35's and selling my nice 33's in the rear to make up for some of the $$. I also found a Toyota e locker locally for $80 but I won't be able to grab it until next week so I'm super stokedddd
That's what I did with mine. Sold them to fund another set
Old 06-02-2014, 06:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Just wondering why you used the spacers and not the ifs hub trick to widen the front?

Quick Reply: 91' Pickup Low SAS