Off Road Trip Planning, Expeditions, Trips, & Events Discussion pertaining to scheduling trail runs and outings

First Adventure, need advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 01:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First Adventure, need advice

I'm planning a road trip to take (leaving in about 3 weeks). But I'm not sure which route to take. Maybe you guys can lend some advice. The routes I'm concidering are these (all starting in Oklahoma):

New Mexico, Denver Route

New Mexico, Grand Canyon, Utah, Denver Route

Galveston TX, Down the coast to Tampico Mexico

The trip is going to be 99% camping/1% Hotels... so weather is a factor, but I can camp in the cold... I will be heading out early February. I will be driving a bone stock '98 4Runner with street tires. It will be the first outing on the truck so I haven't done any mods yet or off road tires.

It will be me, my girlfriend and the dog. We plan on going for at least a month, maybe a bit more. We are planning on sleeping in the runner. I am curious how comfortable the runner sleeps two people???? Is it long enough for a 6ft person??? how do you guys camp in it??? any tricks???

About the destinations, do you think I should go the United States route or the Mexico Route. I'm worried about the cold in the rockies, but am worried about getting killed and robbed in Mexico (I would prefer to be cold than dead). I would like to go the Mexico route but is there really anything to see on that route? Any good wheeling areas? ANy beautiful beaches? Any good logging roads?

The USA route, I know has some excellent wheeling in NM, AZ, UT, and CO... with grand sights and plenty to do, plenty of trails and everything else... but it's going to be cold as hell...

So what should it be... The Beaches or the Rockies???

Any info on what I should absolutely take, or where I should absolutely visit... I'm looking for easy trails, logging roads, and excelent camping with no camp fees (expedition kinda style).
I have a lot of camping equipment already (tents, laterns, stove, etc...) and will be buying a hot water system for showers and an indoor safe heater (if going north)
http://www.zodi.com/web-content/Cons...velshower.html

I'm leaning more to the colorado route but would like any opinions on the mexico route as I do love the coast. I am mainly interested in what equipment I should bring and where are the best wheeling spots, logging roads, awesome camping places that I should visit. I will be going solo and will have very limited recovery gear (ie. cell phone and spare tire), and stock tires (and probably open diffs at this time), so I don't plan on getting stuck. But want a lot of off roading...

Thanks for any info
Old 01-12-2006, 02:16 PM

Please don't limit yourself to the interstates! I'd avoid'm like the plague with a month off to travel! there are so many neat spots off the beaten path...

The southwest corner of New Mexico and the southeast corner of Aridzona would be a fine destination that time of year. The weather will be a bit more temperate, the scenery is awesome, and the roads/trails are pretty good.

I'd be tempted to see some of the National parks in the off season when they are much, much less crowded. Carlsbad Caverns, White Sands are great in New Mexico, and there are more than a dozen in AZ. to see.

http://www.nps.gov/applications/park...tate.cfm?st=az

http://www.nps.gov/applications/park...tate.cfm?st=nm

Silver City NM, Tombstone AZ, Bisbee AZ. Nogalas AZ or Douglas AZ (take a walk into Mexico!) are all cool too. Loop up to I-40 via the White Mountains of AZ -you'll think your in Colorado...but it'll be cold.

Look at State Parks too - Kartchner Caverns near Benson AZ is awesome!

Later

Mark
Old 01-12-2006, 02:22 PM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
sounds like a blast. i agree to avoid interstates and take back highways when ever possible.

tip: unless you plan on having a 3rd person ride wiht you remove the rear seats (the part you sit on, not the part that folds flat) when you goto bed move the front seats as far forward as they go and this will give you quite a bit of more room. yes 2 people can sleep in the back of the 4runner, i've gone camping wiht my gf a couple times., its a little cramped but it would be camping if you were 100% cofortable. right? also TAKE PICTURES! LOTS OF THEM. and have fun!
Old 01-12-2006, 02:28 PM

I for sure will not be following that line on the map... that was just more of a "I want to go to these states but don't know where to visit yet." I've been to all but Utah, but most times it was skiing in CO or on the river in Yuma... With a month to month and a half I would like to see a lot and chill a lot by the fire... and the less pavement the better...
I'm thinking, maybe 7-10 days in each state... hopefully some guys from NM, UT and CO will speak up for their state...
Thanks for the info bro
I'd love to drop on some new shoes for the 4R before I go, but it would shorten my $$$ and my trip... If I can find some used ones real cheap, I may have some bigger tires on, and hopefully they can get my elocker in before the trip... (crosses fingers)
Old 01-12-2006, 05:38 PM

Darrens's camping set-up...(clicky)

Yotatech camping thread (clicky)

I commend you for bringing your own personal heater, too

Last edited by DealMaker; 01-12-2006 at 05:42 PM.
Old 01-13-2006, 08:29 AM

a month!

Whichever route you take I'm sure it will be great! I'm pysched for you. I am leaving tommorow for a month also but am going northwest living out of my tacoma solo. I just finished insulating my sleeper in my cap. Have a great time.
Old 01-13-2006, 09:58 AM

If you swing through Denver on a weekend I'm sure there will be some folks doing a trail nearby - check the Trip Planning forum a few days before.
Old 01-13-2006, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by rngrchad
Whichever route you take I'm sure it will be great! I'm pysched for you. I am leaving tommorow for a month also but am going northwest living out of my tacoma solo. I just finished insulating my sleeper in my cap. Have a great time.
Right on, The NW would be my first choice... except for the distance (for me) and I'm going to Washington in July also, but with no Toyota... Where are you leaving from? And if you don't mind, how much $$$ are you planning on for gas and food, propane, etc....? I came to about $600-700 just for gas... I'm thinking maybe $30-$40 a day for food and gas (for 2)... Be sure to take some pics...

I commend you for bringing your own personal heater, too
Is that coleman you have rated for indoor use? Do the indoor safe one's also put out co2? If it's too cold, I would like to run it all night. I was looking at this one MR HEATER

This one is also cool ZODI TENT HEATER

Does anyone else know some other "great" places to visit in AZ,UT,CO, or UT? I'm looking for trails but there are thousands of them CO TRAILS

Thanks for all of the advice so far, I would have never thought to take out the lower back seats...
Old 01-13-2006, 11:39 AM

I meant your girlfriend
I don't use a heater, but you can probably shoot Darren a PM and pick his brain.

Originally Posted by jeremys73
...Is that coleman you have rated for indoor use? Do the indoor safe one's also put out co2? If it's too cold, I would like to run it all night. I was looking at this one MR HEATER
Old 01-13-2006, 11:55 AM

i HIGHLY recommend you go to the south brim of the canyon! when i was in vegas, 6 of rented a van for the day and hit up the hoover dam and the south brim. we ALL are glad we did it! so beautiful, and something that i feel everyone should see! absolutely amazing!
Old 01-13-2006, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by DealMaker
I meant your girlfriend
I don't use a heater, but you can probably shoot Darren a PM and pick his brain.

oh!

South brim of the canyon.... right on
Old 01-13-2006, 04:58 PM

Right on, The NW would be my first choice... except for the distance (for me) and I'm going to Washington in July also, but with no Toyota... Where are you leaving from? And if you don't mind, how much $$$ are you planning on for gas and food, propane, etc....? I came to about $600-700 just for gas... I'm thinking maybe $30-$40 a day for food and gas (for 2)... Be sure to take some pics...
I'll take some pics for sure. I'm leaving from Lancaster Ohio. Going first to Jackson Hole Wyoming. I will spend roughly $800 in fuel. I'll drive about 4 thousand miles round trip, maybe more if I go further north into Glacier National Park(can you say COLD!) I will not be using a propane heater. My cap is insulated, I have a futon mattress also, a fleece liner for my sleeping bag and a Marmot zero degree mountaineering sleeping bag.