Off Road Trip Planning, Expeditions, Trips, & Events Discussion pertaining to scheduling trail runs and outings

Connecticut Trails

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2004, 05:31 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Connecticut Trails

Does anyone know of any legal trails in Ct. or any in close by states ? There does not seem to be any in the Northeast ! HELP !
Old 08-11-2004, 02:44 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good question. The only legal place I've been to is called Nepaug Forest in New Hartford. It's just a bunch of washed out fire roads and doesn't offer much of a challenge.
Old 08-12-2004, 04:44 AM
Contributing Member

connecticut trails

Thanks for the info on the trails ! Can you give me any specific directions to the trails once in that area ? THANKS
Old 08-12-2004, 08:17 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 94-RUNNER
Thanks for the info on the trails ! Can you give me any specific directions to the trails once in that area ? THANKS
I did a search on Google and found this site with a picture of the entrance. It's kind of obscure but it's there - on route 202. Map quest might help too. All I can say is look for high voltage power lines crossing over route 202, when you see those, you are in the right area and the entrance is nearby.
The power lines actually run through the park/forest but you aren't supposed to wheel near them -even though most people do.

I'm not sure if there are any maps available of the trails. I usually just explore and find my way out. Overall, it is a scenic area and it's not bad. I was actually planning on going this weekend if the weather holds out
http://www.crankfire.com/galleries/p...php?imageid=69
Old 08-12-2004, 09:17 AM
Contributing Member

Nepaug Forest

I found a phone number to Nepaug Forest and asked them if there are any trails for off road vehicles and the guy seemed to have got mad over the meer asking if there are any trails ! He told me that there are no trails for that type of use in the forest and never would be !
Old 08-12-2004, 09:37 AM
Contributing Member

I found a phone number to Nepaug Forest and asked them if there are any trails for off road vehicles and the guy seemed to have got mad over the meer asking if there are any trails ! He told me that there are no trails for that type of use in the forest and never would be !
When you said off road vehicles he probably imagined you blazing a trail through the woods tearing up everything. If you stay on the fire roads and trails along the Farmington river, you shouldn't have any problems. I've only been there a couple of times but there are always other people out there doing the same thing. Actually, the last time I was there, I had to rescue a Jeep in distress. He was trying to venture off the beaten path and got hung up on a log.
The trails along the river allow access for people to go fishing. I wonder why the guy got so bent out of shape?
Old 08-12-2004, 09:58 AM
Contributing Member

No I dont think that he misunderstood my intensions of what I was looking for . I ask him if there were any jeep trails or OHV trail in the forest .
You have to understand , I am from the south and there are plenty of legal trails every where, state land , national forest and the such. In the north there seems to be the larger population of tree huggers and conservationist that think all OHV are bad and litter and destroy the land. Not that am against conservation or any thing of that nature but every place that I have called to see if there are places to ride legal they seem to get rather indignent. I have not found a single place in New England that has legal trails to ride on . The only place that there seems to be is Paragon Park 5 hours away !
Old 08-12-2004, 10:02 AM
Contributing Member

Just to add, I live only 25 minutes from this place so for a quick ride through the woods it's ok once in a while. I don't recommend driving any further than that because like I said before its just fire roads and you shouldn't waste your time if you are expecting anything more than that. especially if someone is going to hassle you like that guy on the phone.
This just further supports my theory that living in CT SUCKS.

Let's go to Paragon.
Old 08-12-2004, 10:06 AM
Contributing Member

No Argument About Connecticut Or The Rest Of New England ! ! ! !
Old 08-12-2004, 10:06 AM
Contributing Member

No I dont think that he misunderstood my intensions of what I was looking for . I ask him if there were any jeep trails or OHV trail in the forest .
You have to understand , I am from the south and there are plenty of legal trails every where, state land , national forest and the such. In the north there seems to be the larger population of tree huggers and conservationist that think all OHV are bad and litter and destroy the land. Not that am against conservation or any thing of that nature but every place that I have called to see if there are places to ride legal they seem to get rather indignent. I have not found a single place in New England that has legal trails to ride on . The only place that there seems to be is Paragon Park 5 hours away !
Where in CT are you? I went to Paragon last year and it was about a 3 hour ride. You are right about New England and it's tree huggers.
Old 08-12-2004, 10:13 AM
Contributing Member

Just got back from Georgia Sunday after 5 days there and am still recovering from that . We are trying to find time to go very soon . We have spent almost 12,000 mile in the Runner in the past 60 days and need to do some much needed regular service before going to Paragon . Soon as we get or stuff together I will contact you and let you know ahead of time an see if that fits your schedule.
Old 08-12-2004, 10:18 AM
Contributing Member

Guilford
Old 08-12-2004, 10:43 AM
Contributing Member

Awesome. Welcome back.
Old 10-31-2006, 04:40 PM

where in guilford are there trails?
Old 10-31-2006, 04:48 PM
Contributing Member

There are none at all anywhere near here . This is a tree huggin state.
Old 08-25-2009, 06:02 AM

hey guys im in vernon i know soap stone is cool like nepaug just for a lil drive in the woods but i was just hiking up at bigelow hollow this weekend and saw a jeep club running on this sweet trail i asked the rangers how to acess it thinking it was legal he flipped and started yelling at me "cuz my truck is always muddy" thinking i was just in there but do any of you know how to acess that area i heard you acess it from the MA side directions would be sweet
Old 08-29-2009, 05:52 AM

Ok i'm in RI and we got some fire trails and light wheelin spots,but not much else and nothing that is for sure legal. If you ask me PA is not northeast and it's a pain if you break your rig. NH might have some stuff but not sure. I know for sure the part of Northwestern Maine called the Allagach i think has nothing till Canada. We as Northesterners need to ban together and find/make legal trails closer to us. Why have a rig if you got to go 1000 miles just to wheel. Never mind the fact if you break it your pretty well draining your wallet. Keep the ideas coming guys..
Old 08-06-2010, 07:28 PM

if you're in eastern ct there are tons of light trails in pachaug state forest that are totally legal, and quite a few others nearby which are not. pachaug is mostly old fire roads, but there are a few nice mud holes and some rock climbing, and most of the others are logging roads on private land, but are a lot rougher. if your in se ri, westerly/charlestown area woody hill is great fun, though the entrance is through private land. hopkinton has some old fire and farm roads that cross off into ct.... they're there if you look for 'em, but they're few and far between. pachaug has some of the best wheelin in the state, but alot of times the really rough roads are gated.
Old 08-09-2010, 03:21 PM

Grew up in Bethel(Danbury). I can attest to no real OHV trails being available. Moved to CA to remedy that. Although nobody told me about smog laws before I did. Damn hippies and their precious breathing problems are screwing up my potential exhaust upgrades all the time!
Old 11-18-2012, 06:33 AM

flat rock

hey im new here , also looking for new spots , i go to flat rock in plainfield , its pretty good spot to go , theres easy paths and more challenging trails , mud , rock crawl spots , hillclimbs , a lil bit of everything, i go a few times a week since its close to me ,but its boring going alone lol

Quick Reply: Connecticut Trails