Off Road Trip Planning, Expeditions, Trips, & Events Discussion pertaining to scheduling trail runs and outings

Any Oregon offroaders?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 06:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bored out is right with a 4 cyl you can only make so much Power gears are way more bang for your buck
Old 01-05-2011, 06:47 PM

well in a "money grows on trees world" I would do both cause I agree. But I would like to have a solid engine and I am still trying to train my head away from horse power as I was a Chevy truck guy growin up. The answer to every problem is seems to end up a larger engine. I think though I still wouldn't mind having a solid engine under the hood. Gears are spendy too after looking around!!!! Where is the best place to go for that? I have never taken a third apart so my learning is read n guess n check ha ha which is costly on gears from what I understand
Old 01-05-2011, 07:53 PM

I picked up 5.29s from 4wheelparts.com
G2 brand (which is made by yukon) for 250 delivered to my door
in a timely fashion as well. With a lifetime warranty to boot!
I see your getting a pipe bender huh? horse power is a kinda a lost cause
for toyota lol unless you 3.4 swap?
Old 01-05-2011, 08:29 PM

nice 250 that sounds like a good deal. How hard was install? Yeah I want to start building a cage around my truck. If i am gonna get lifted and wheel i need my family n me to be safe in it. Not to mention a body swap doesnt sound like alot of fun really. I wont ever 3.4 swap I moved to a 22r cause I understand how mechanically the truck works but not the best at wiring. I am really not into gas guzzling 350s anymore i like seeing more then 10 miles to the gallon and makin it deeper in the woods then any wide trac vehicle.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:34 PM

lol yeah makes sense. I need to pick up a bender to build bumpers and stuff. Yeah im perfectly fine with 22r/22re, I had help with it. You just need to keep a clean work area and really take your time. locally you'll end up payin 250 a third if you get them installed at trail tough. and thts if you pull the 3rd.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:54 PM

i heard you can purchase pre bent pieces and sweeps out of sch 40 with out a bender but I want to get good at bending for pipe frames. But pre bent metal might not be to bad gonna have to look into it. Seems like they may be the weak points though. Yeah I am scared of pullin thirds and messin with it. I am tryin to look for a good tech write up on doing the whole process. I am gonna need help when that comes around I am sure.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:06 AM

Im from Roseburg but currently in sacramento for school.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:16 AM

There's no replacement for displacement ha I heard it's pretty hard to do the ring an pinion swap correctly but I found some awesome tech on pirate I think I'll look and see what I can find pipe bender will be awesome I'm lookin to start on some bumpers and rocksliders in metal shop next semester
Old 01-06-2011, 11:32 AM

benders arnt cheap and it kinda pains me to spend money that doesnt directly go to my truck. I am super impatient and want my truck built right now!! I wish I could go to school for this ˟˟˟˟ it would be better then framing. i would like to find some people you are good at it and start a yota shop in medford I havnt seen one yet. There is suzuki and big trucks but i havnt seen the yota shop yet. I think there would be interest too. I am learning as I go right now but I think it would be fun. The only other thing I could see would be guided tours on the right trails!!
Old 01-06-2011, 07:04 PM

Yeah that would be pretty sweet. You can get stuff stupid cheap at harbor freight.
I saw a pipe bender for 130, Yeah it'd be sweet to have one here. It seems people are more die hard about yota's here more than suzuki's.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:09 PM

yeah i see many more yotas around then zukis. I will have a welder n pipe bender with taxes this year. u have a shop type area?? I dont yet but should some day. A friend lets me use his but he is wasting time rebuilding a 70s thunderbird. What a joke. least i think once I get one I will gladly share cause i want to use it as much as possible to make it a worth while purchase!!
Old 01-06-2011, 07:32 PM

haha yeah i got a garage! and my girl friends uncle is letting me use his HEATED SHOP! lol
Got your eye on a particular bender? yeah i just bought a flux core welder a few months ago. It's tough to learn to weld. Takes lots of patience haha.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:41 PM

yeah thats what i heard. my friend has welded for like 6 years in school he said he would teach me so I am hoping that happens. As for a bender I would like a nicer one then harbor freight has because I heard those tend to pinch the pipe more then a quality one does im lookin in the 300 range I think. I want bumpers sliders and a cage n that will cost a fortune if i buy them pre made. I like the fabrication part of building and am very interested in getting my hands dirty playing around with welding n bending!!
Old 01-07-2011, 07:09 PM

Yeah i def. heard that about those benders. You have to like fill the pipes with sand and stuff hahaha. but yeah it would be super spendy. All that stuff would be rather nice!
Old 01-08-2011, 01:50 AM

Hey the bender from harbor freight isnt that bad. Actually im going to school at wyotech and one of the instructors showed us a tube chassis that was all bent with one at a car show! And for welding is pretty easy once you get the hang of it. And once im back home i would like to get a trip planned for us yotatech guys!
Old 01-08-2011, 08:19 AM

You got it bones! i've always been curious about that school. How you likin it?
Old 01-08-2011, 10:42 PM

Its what you make of it and what you take out of it really! You can go in there and be ready to learn everything they tell you or be like alot of guys there and just say its lame and what not. I didnt know anything going in and now ive done head gaskets and tranny R&R and all that and also built a full cage for a wagonner which is gnarly as hell. But its also really expensive but the military pays for it for me so im set.
Old 01-08-2011, 10:51 PM

Thats pretty sweet, ive just seen stuff for it on powerblock haha
Old 01-09-2011, 10:13 AM

!@$#$#

Last edited by deez4wdsparechange; 01-09-2011 at 10:28 AM.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:16 AM

Yeah well when you get out of school ur going to live in meford again bones?? What do you want to do with the schooling? I would be into a crawl trip sometime for sure!!

Quick Reply: Any Oregon offroaders?