Notices
Buying & Selling Advice - Feeler/Gauging Interest This general forum is for those seeking information about buying, model features/differences, pricing to sell, and related advice

S&J Engines - Brand New 22RE

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 07:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

YEAH BUDDY! MY ENGINE ARRIVED! Picking it up tomorrow!

Newly remanufactured S&J engine with a Toyota remanufactured head and RV cam. I'm so stoked!
Old 04-21-2011, 09:54 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sweeeeet, what Baxter's is it at? I might go and visit and it suddenly come up missing.......
Old 04-21-2011, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by James Woods
sweeeeet, what Baxter's is it at? I might go and visit and it suddenly come up missing.......
It may be close to you. Although it may be far away.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:50 AM
Contributing Member

just be sure to post progress once you get started on the swap
Old 04-21-2011, 10:55 AM

^^^ I will do my best. I can already tell you I do not have the patience or time to do as thorough a build as I've seen some of the guys on here do. Thank goodness for them, I'm sure I'll be referencing them non-stop. But you won't be getting it from me. Haha
Old 04-21-2011, 10:59 AM
Contributing Member

I hear ya, I was planning on cleaning and painting stuff like valve covers and such on my last engine rebuild but when it came down to it....I just wanted it done.
Old 04-22-2011, 05:49 PM

Well.... I had a fun day up in Beaverton. I got the front windows tinted on the FJ down to 18% to match the rears (knock on wood no cops notice)

And the FJ became a medical transport for my 4Runner's new heart!

Awe..... all safe at home on my engine stand with the medical transport and the patient in the background (No, that's not my 2nd gen on the left and I don't know who owns it but GOT DAMM that thing is clean!!!)

So I thought once I had the engine in my hands and the money out of my pocket, some of the nerves would be gone? Nope. I'm still nervous as hell about getting this put back together correctly. I started to put some bolts on and then I stopped. Definitely need to study my before pictures thoroughly. Plus, it's beautiful outside - who wants to be in a dark cold garage? :-D
Old 04-22-2011, 07:20 PM
Contributing Member

Ah you will get it just fine, so it was the Baxter's right by me.....damn....it was nice today....from what I can see of your FJ, its pretty darn nice, I can see why you don't want to take it up to brown's camp.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:26 PM

Thanks. The FJ is a sweet ride to have. I pay dearly for it monthly but I find it to be worth it. It's been to Brown's camp but not on any serious trails.

Old 04-22-2011, 07:33 PM
Contributing Member

Well, hurry up and get that engine in so you have something to get crazy with.
Old 04-22-2011, 09:13 PM

Well, hurry up and get that engine in so you have something to get crazy with.
YEAH BOY
Old 05-02-2011, 09:49 AM

Productive weekend. The motor is in!

Went from looking like this...

And then I test fit my mojaves to make sure they clear everything...

And then somehow the motor ended up here...

Injectors are with Witch Hunter getting rebuilt and then I'll be set to turn the key!
Old 05-02-2011, 09:53 AM
Contributing Member

All right, good stuff.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:30 AM

Put the hood back on last night! Need my injectors back from Witch Hunter (Should be here tomorrow!) and then I'll put my intake assembly and hook vacuum lines back up and this baby should be ready to turn over!

Oh, and I need a new battery
Old 05-07-2011, 12:39 PM

So I'm having a good day so far. I had some issues because I was just getting a "click" and the lights would dim when trying to start it. Checked my connections on the starter and then thought about how corroded my battery connections were. Installed a couple new battery connections and off we went.

Spun it for 2 minutes to get oil spread around, then installed my spark plugs and got the following. The RV cam isn't as rough as I kind of expected.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYcae...ature=youtu.be

I had lost one of the bolts that held my cold start injector in so I had a big vacuum leak through that hole. Went down to Napa and got a new bolt (that the guy gave me for free, love Napa) and ...!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6f2Y...ature=youtu.be

Temperature is still all over the place, I think air is still purging out of the cooling system but I probably need to buy a new radiator cap just to be safe. The one it has looks relatively old. 13 lb release is probably correct tho.

Last edited by LOCKINGSANDSTORM; 05-07-2011 at 12:41 PM.
Old 05-13-2011, 10:10 PM

So my starter took a ˟˟˟˟. Apparently the 87 starter doesn't have the ability to just change out the contacts on the solenoid? You have to replace the whole damn thing?
Old 05-14-2011, 09:33 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by LOCKINGSANDSTORM
So my starter took a ˟˟˟˟. Apparently the 87 starter doesn't have the ability to just change out the contacts on the solenoid? You have to replace the whole damn thing?
You should be able to change out the origional Denso starter contacts on an 87. Are you sure it's origional to the truck? I have an 88 and I have the same part number for the starter as you.
Old 05-15-2011, 03:57 PM

Yeah turns out I can change the contacts. I think my issue is elsewhere. It appears my top power steering line is worn through to the metal and contacting the hard line coming out the base of the reservoir. This leads to the line getting extremely hot once I connect the battery. Electric tape doesn't seem to fix it. Probably need a new hose. Thoughts? Ever seen this before? I think it's causing a drain and my starter is getting starved for juice
Old 05-15-2011, 08:17 PM
Contributing Member

So you are saying that the insulation for the wire is rubbed off and the wire is bare?
Old 05-15-2011, 09:38 PM

So you are saying that the insulation for the wire is rubbed off and the wire is bare?
The power steering line has a metal jacket underneath the rubber. The hose has been worn down to that and it was laying on the hard line coming out of the power steering reservoir. I'm not sure how it would get a positive charge but that top hose gets hot as hell if I reconnect the positive terminal on the battery.

Here's a picture. You can see on the foam insulator of the power steering hose where I put electric tape that its contacting the hard line out of the reservoir. Ideas?

Quick Reply: S&J Engines - Brand New 22RE