Notices
Buying & Selling Advice - Feeler/Gauging Interest This general forum is for those seeking information about buying, model features/differences, pricing to sell, and related advice
Old 03-31-2016, 08:07 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:
Browse all: Toyota 4Runner Specifications & General Maintenance

Print Wikipost

Buying a 4Runner... 3rdGen v 4thGen

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 10:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying a 4Runner... 3rdGen v 4thGen

Hey Guys,

This is my first post and I hope its not my last. Hope you have a few secs to hear my situation.

I'm currently selling my 01 Maxima. This is my 3rd vehicle in 18 months. I've been looking for that perfect vehicle.
1- Was a 98 Honda Accord (wanted a Runner, didn't want to spend)
2- Was a 01 Pathfinder (i figure same options as the Runner but more power:::WRONG...)
3- 01 Maxima... (Need a car, figured I'd give the Max a try)

I have always wanted a 4Runner. It was the vehicle I use to drool over. I have had two chances to buy one in the last 18 months and for reasons such as pricing and availability I have not. I'm tired of the Maxima and have decided to sell to buy the 4Runner. Just the 4Runner. Although my drooling has always been for the 3rd Gen, the 4th Gen does look tempting.

The biggest pro for the 4th Gen is that its newer but will come at the cost of a monthly payment. The 3rd Gen (thinking 00-02). I can buy straight cash, no payments. Really leaning towards the 3rd Gen and wanted to find out if the guys that know most about it had any suggestions.

What drives me to the 4th... Seems more comfortable, bigger (but less cargo), more options, newer, wider stance.

Why 3rd Gen, No payments, car I always drooled for, rugged, more tested powertrain = more reliable.

Your insights and suggestions are welcomed...
Old 11-17-2006, 11:30 AM

I think you will come to learn most people would recommend a 3rd gen - and for all the reasons you outlined which far outweigh the "benefits" of a 4th gen.

Don't forget 3rd gens already have a massive aftermarket Don't know if that's what your looking for though.
Old 11-17-2006, 11:38 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Either one would be a great choice (I have been looking at trading up to 4th gens myself, but I just can't justify making payments.....feels too good to just own the truck outright), but I would have to go for the one that gives you some financial breathing room (ie go for the 3rd gen). The 3rd gen has been proven to be one of the most rugged and reliable vehicles on the road so as long as you can find one that has been well maintained and for sale at a reasonable price (they are out there, just have to look a little bit) then I don't think you can go wrong.

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 11-17-2006 at 11:40 AM.
Old 11-17-2006, 11:46 AM

they dropped the roof on the 4th gens, so if you are tall, you head will stick out the sun roof. thats what ive found anyway.

i love my 3rd gen. bought it and have never regreted it for a moment, it is extremely capable off road, but its onroad manners are great too.
Old 11-17-2006, 11:52 AM

That is the main problem I am having... None of my last three cars... Inlcuding my current one HAVE I FELT LIKE I LOVED...

I mean, you should see my wife with her Sienna. She will drive that car into the GROUND. I want a truck, that I will not regret getting. I think since I have at every turn wanted to buy a 4Runner. The 4Runner is my clear choice. I think the 3rd Gen, will also be the clearer choice. No PAYMENTS, is a great thing. A GREAT thing...

Also, I have been crawling around here for about a week as a guest and now just joined. The community is amazing.

As far as aftermarket... I LOVE IT... I mod all my vehicles which is where I lose my money. Can't wait to sell the Max and get me a 4Runner to start modding.

One third Gen question... How do you guys feel about the space inside the truck width wise. Have any of you at anytime wished it was wider?

Last edited by rmd0311; 11-17-2006 at 11:55 AM.
Old 11-17-2006, 12:51 PM

i wish i didnt dislike the center section of the front seats so much... it just doesnt work like i want it to... im rebuilding the center console at some point.
Old 11-17-2006, 01:02 PM
Contributing Member

When I was younger (gratned this was back in 2002 when I was thinking this... I was about 15 then...)
I wanted a Ford F-350 Super Duty witha Turbo Deisel Crew Cab Long Bed Dully...
Toyota's to me just were like eww (like I said I was young and Nieve so guys don't scold me...)
My Stepdad and mom just bought a house and Stepdad wanted to get an suv since his little 92' 2 door Grand AM couldn't cart me mom and stepdad around comfortably and didn't have much room in teh sense of moving...
So he was considering Toyota...
At first he was thinking of going with the Crew Cab Tundra....
But he couldn't get a long enough bed so he scratched that idea...
But then He thought about the 02' Sport Edition SR5 4Runner...
(he thought "well i could get a trailer big enough to the size bed I want and use the Runner to pull it")
Test drove it, him and (and mom slightly) loved it...
Me still sceptical...
When I got my learners permit a that summer (cause I turned 16 about 4 months after he got it...) I started to drive...
Every now and then he would let me drive the Runner...
And boy oh boy, every time I sat behind the wheel of that Runner My face Got a huge grin on it...
The Power...
The Look...
The Features....
And from then on I always wanted one...
But I ended up getting stuck with moms 95' Olds Cutlass Supreme...
Until I wrecked that...
Then I kept pushin and pushin my mother...
And NOW today I am a Proud Owner of a 97' Toyota 4Runner...
Granted tehre are diffrent stylings from it to the 02' but I plan on chanign that...
But every day that I get in my Runner no matter what mood I am in I still Grin from Cheek to Cheek...
Go with the 3rd Gen...
It really grows on people...
Old 11-17-2006, 01:12 PM

3rd gen - no question about it
Old 11-17-2006, 01:13 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Crux
3rd gen - no question about it
Thats so beautiful...
:cry:
One day mine will look as good...
Old 11-17-2006, 01:27 PM

That truck does LOOK nice... My car has to sell first though, LET'S SEE how quickly it sells.

Hoping REAL quick.
Here is a link: http://maxima.rpimentel.com/maxima.html
Old 02-20-2012, 10:44 PM

Ok i just joined and cant start my own thread yet. I just bought a 97 4runner and it is sweet. I think its running on 255 75 16s and they look nice, but i wana buy bigger tires. if at all possible, id like to keep the suspension stock and run it like that. will it get stuck that easy?? i mean, i dont take it on hell trails or nothing, i just fish hunt and camp, but some of the roads are more like eroded ditches, and i just dont wana lose my first toyota in a hole. should i get a lift kit? also, i wana get a brush guard and top rack for carying things in and keeping trees off my hood. what do you think about building one?