Ozarks Ozarks Chapter

lookin' for a cheap toy

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 04:36 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Got my new trail Toy!

I need a 3rd vehicle to keep insurance rates low (Allstate allows 1 incident per vehicle & you stay in "preferred" status) - so I'm looking for a running 4x4 toy, scout, etc. for < $1k

Let me know if you see anything...

Last edited by Injohneer; 05-23-2009 at 02:58 PM. Reason: I quit looking, now I'm enjoying...
Old 05-22-2009, 04:41 AM
Contributing Member

nevermind, found one.
Old 05-22-2009, 04:46 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Injohneer
nevermind, found one.
Pics or it didn't happen.

Fink
Old 05-22-2009, 04:17 PM
Contributing Member

Got it for $850
no gauges hooked up after somebody swapped in a different engine
Starts most of the time with a little extra pumping, and it won't idle (acts like a fuel problem) so I ran the idle screw up to give it around 1200 RPM or so, just to get it home
Lights aren't hooked up either, 3 wires sticking out under the dash will give front, side, and tail lights if you jam them up in the fuse box. It was real fun driving home at night.

sway bar connectors are torch'd off, the driver's front shock is in the bed (they unbolted it instead of torching).
On the driver's side of the front axle there's a bracket & linking rod that connects to the frame, to keep the axle housing from rotating - what's that called? Anyway they torched it too. Gotta love that redneck flex!

I mentioned the engine was replaced, I'm not enough of an early toy expert to know if it's a 22R or 22RE, where do I look for markings? (don't tell me, I will use the search button)
It uses some oil, most of it leaks through the timing / water pump cover seal. Oh, and the oil on the dipstick was pretty black.

The 5 speed transmission (was that standard for an '81?) seems to shift well and the 4x4 works (tried out 4x4 low, didn't try 4x4 high yet).
Steering is real sloppy with a lot of play before you start turning, but amazingly the thing is aligned. I drove it about 90 miles Tuesday night and only had to turn the wheel when the road curved.

My plans for this truck are to strip it down and make it minimalistic.
I'm thinking an all-metal dash, possibly a custom instrument cluster, a custom switch panel for heater controls, lighting, inverter, CB, etc

Last edited by Injohneer; 05-23-2009 at 10:59 AM.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:25 PM
Contributing Member

flippin sweet.

ok...if its got a carb, its a 22R. if its fuel injected its a 22RE.

However what you want to know is if its a later model block and head so you can convert it to fuel injection. Easiest way to tell is bring it 4wheelin June 5-7th at hot springs and let me look at it.
Old 05-27-2009, 07:16 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by colsoncj
Easiest way to tell is bring it 4wheelin June 5-7th at hot springs and let me look at it.
I knew you would try to get me on the trails ASAP.

However, there are many things it needs before I drive it anywhere else:
radiator flush, carb cleanup, brakes that feel safe, oil change, lights that work...

And most of that stuff is on hold for a month or so because my chevy really needs a brake job and carrier bearing ...

besides that, playing with the yota takes 2nd place when my kid's in the hospital (been in for about a month now, has had 3 surgeries this round, still not back to taking food by mouth yet.)

But I'll probably grab the camera this weekend and take a bunch of pictures!
Old 06-06-2009, 03:50 PM
Contributing Member

yeah, right.... no time for the camera when I could actually be working on the truck.

Yesterday I spent a couple hours removing junk out of the cab...bottle rockets, sparklers, old pop cans, one bag of unopened cheetoes, water bottles, floor mats, ... a good pair of pliers, etc.

When I drove the truck on anything bumpy my thought was...something's loose. I wonder if the cab is fastened to the frame?
Imagine my lack of surprise that two of the three cab mounts on the left side are completely unattached...rusted through on the cab, so I can pick it up off the frame. So I guess I need to work on the cab mounts. Sounds like some fabbing is in order...oh and a good time to do a 2" body lift. Know of any pics of reputable repairs in that area?
The other loose thing was the seat, it's a bench seat that is bolted down only (loosely) in the front. Must be a doner seat, after all I was surprised how good the material looked for its age.

Last edited by Injohneer; 06-07-2009 at 01:33 PM.