Land Usage & Off Road Responsibility Discussion pertaining to the education of proper land usage, closures, and responsible off road driving

No more fun on Hatteras

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 11:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NBD???? maybe to you who apparently are well over 40yo and think that the $150 is chump change. I am and have been a broke college student. Most of my friends are the same way. We used to go down there 5 vehicles deep, granted I was the only yota among them the rest were that J word, but that $150 on top of paying for a campsite, a fishing license, gas money, food, beer, and other supplies just makes the trip too expensive. And the reasons for closing the beaches just doesn't make sense except for them to make more money. I believe that the fees that have been applied are going to choke out the island. How are the business owners going to survive when most of their annual income comes from the summer months aka mostly tourists? If less tourists come down then less people drive on the beach/buy fishing licenses'/pay for less gas and supplies=businesses that have been around for 30+ years go out of business b/c of one mandate. That just doesn't make sense. That is my 2 cents. Take it how you want!
Old 03-11-2012, 12:16 PM

Here in oregon you have to have a 'off road' permit to drive on any of the beaches or on state forest land. Its no big deal, no one mind paying it. They put it towards safety patrols and having mapped 'safe' trails. That said, we only have to pay $15 for a two year pass good anywhere in the state.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:51 PM

And from what I can tell the locals would not be opposed to a small yearly fee, and tighter controls on who can get out on the beach.
To be honest the last time I was out there i was shocked that all the traffic on the beach.
Thanks for signing, and if you can maybe pass it on to others. I guess I am getting old, but I am tired of A. the goverment telling me what to do, and b. being punished for the foolish actions of a few.

this will make fisherman sad, but check out
fishtradewins.com
as you will note most of not ALL the record puppy drum are caught at Ocracoke Inlet, Hatteras Inlet, both sides, and Cape Point. all off limits. period.
when I was a kid my dad caught one took him 2 hours to pull it in and it went accross the hood of his Scout 2. threw it back, to big to eat....

Like I said, the locals can even deal with the fee, though, most have been driving on the beach all there lives. what they are pissed about is the closers.
they were told at the beginning they would have access to the beach.
now that the infrastructure as been built and these people depend on spring/fishing to make a living, without warning its gone.
Alot of people dont know this, but north of Kill Devils Hill, the road ended there. most of the land north was private, and a huge chunk was left to the sierra club as a gift, and they sold it to land delv. that is the way I heard it. that was back in the 1970s

Last edited by Robert Earl Gee Jr.; 03-11-2012 at 09:58 PM.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I will share that petition to my social media friends. I hate fee's. big time. I understand that yes, they do use that money for good things but sometimes they get greedy. point in being, in my home town of Beaufort SC we having Hunting Island State Park. granted erosion has wreaked havoc on the island in the past 30 years but that is because the geniuses back in the day decided to make a man made lagoon on the island and dredge the Fripp inlet changing the currents and sweeping sand away from Hunting Island.... ANYWHOOO about 10 or 15 years ago they started charging admission to the park. This was fine in my book "hey it's for a good cause, beach renurishment." The fee started out at 3.00$ a person, then came 5$. It is now 10$ A PERSON. Year passes started out at 25$ NOW THEY ARE 100$. where do you draw the line. so now if I want to take a chick to the beach it will cost me 20 bucks, or I can say "hey baby, hide under these towels in the back of my truck." I hope that beach access can remain cheap if not free wherever you are.
just my .02!
Old 03-12-2012, 04:31 AM

well, the reason it been free for so long, is that the gov. told the locals that there would be no restrictions for access to the beach, and it would be set aside for everyone to use, as long as everyone drops any claim's to the land.
And congress mandated it also. now a judge can make law.
Old 03-17-2012, 04:39 PM

this is from the site
Oregon Inlet Idiots

so when did footprints become pollution?